Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: No help? Wireless D-LINK DWA-131

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 10, 2012
      There are several approaches including a chroot environment and a virtual machine under Qemu.

      You can also use cross compile tool chains with gcc.  Use Google to find tutorials.

      On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Vincent <n2ohh@...> wrote:

      John D. Hays K7VE wrote:

      > Untarring (tar is the Unix/Linux equivalent of a zip file) -- is not
      > what's going to trip up folks. This file contains source code to
      > compile, firmware to put in the right place in the file system,
      > activating services, and so forth.
      >
      > Remember, the Pi is not a "consumer" desktop that comes with
      > everything already built and integrated, so users would be well
      > advised to use the verified peripherals list and pick what you need
      > from there, unless you are prepared to put in the time to understand
      > building things from source, editing, debugging, etc.

      Is there a way to cross-compile it in Ubuntu or other distro? I wouldn't
      expect the Pi to come with the libs etc. needed. Besides which it would
      go much faster on a laptop or desktop. I've heard there is but don't
      remember where.

      --

      Vincent Tompkins
      n2ohh@...

    • Eric Scott
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 10, 2012
        If I recall, there is a tutorial on how to cross compile a OS.  Might be able to use that information to cross compile something else.

        73

        Eric
        KC7KLZ

        John D. Hays K7VE wrote:

        > Untarring (tar is the Unix/Linux equivalent of a zip file) -- is not
        > what's going to trip up folks. This file contains source code to
        > compile, firmware to put in the right place in the file system,
        > activating services, and so forth.
        >
        > Remember, the Pi is not a "consumer" desktop that comes with
        > everything already built and integrated, so users would be well
        > advised to use the verified peripherals list and pick what you need
        > from there, unless you are prepared to put in the time to understand
        > building things from source, editing, debugging, etc.

        Is there a way to cross-compile it in Ubuntu or other distro? I wouldn't
        expect the Pi to come with the libs etc. needed. Besides which it would
        go much faster on a laptop or desktop. I've heard there is but don't
        remember where.

        --

        Vincent Tompkins
        n2ohh@...

        =
      • Donald
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 10, 2012
          Danny
          I am running Rasbian Wheezy also and have Xarchiver. I did not know that it was an unzip type program. I will give it a try and do some reading. I will get back to you....especially if I have some success.
          73
          Don
          VE3HOL

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 20, 2012
            I found this on the pi site today. I haven't tried it, but am running a RTL8188 CUS based dongle, installed manually.

            WiFi is now supported out of the box

            If your WiFi driver is supported by the default linux tree, or is based on the popular RTL8188CUS chipset, then WiFi should work out of the box. Boot the image with the WiFi dongle plugged in (a powered hub is recommended). Run startx and select “WiFi Config”. You can scan for wireless networks and enter your wireless password and connect from the GUI. No need to install additional packages or scripts.

            The post is mainly about performance improvements.

            73, John G8BPQ