Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] SD card for Pi

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
      It is a rubbish quality slow card .

      I just purchased 3 of these below at $7 each posted;

      Transcend SD HC SDHC Class 10 4GB 4 4G G GB Flash Memory Card New 20MB/S 20MB /S

      unzip
      use
      for instructions to burn image and get going.
      Adrian ... vk4tux
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
        Sorry, Rory.

        I didn't mean to imply that your suggestion wasn't useful. I just didn't want newcomers going out and buying a USB reader before trying one they already have.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
          I just bought one of these on Ebay and couldn't write to it (PC said locked) It looked good and had proper looking packaging but when I went to the Transcend Website as given on the packaging and attempted to register it it had a completely bogus serial number. I exchanged a couple of emails with Transcend to confirm this and am now trying to get my cash back, (7GBP). Surprisingly it did work in my HD camcorder, but not in my USB card reader. Other cards have been OK. Ebay had already pulled the item and sent out a warning post, so I was not the first sucker caught! But it means I can't leave the **** negative feedback. Might have to go to Argos.

          Bob

          G3WKW
        • Adrian
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
            OK on that, there are always fake items, The genuine Transcend cards work great. I purchased some pl2303 usb-ser adapters a while back to find they were all fake and did not co-operate with the true pl2303 driver. Luck of the draw these days.

            adrian ... vk4tux

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
              Gotta jump in here for a sec...  as far as SD cards for the Pi goes... best performance so far without trying to break the bank is a 64G Class 10 card I found on eBay (branded SDC).

              Ran a bunch of benchmarks yesterday with various cards and media... this card came in at 13.2M/sec writing.  (164M file continuous write)  Not bad for a $15 card, and with 64G the wear leveling will help it last a LONG time.

              Dave
              N0TRQ

              On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Adrian <vk4tux@...> wrote:

[...]

            • bob_g3wkw
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 17, 2013
                Yes I must have one of those fake CAT leads too, it worked fine for a year or two until Prolific updated the driver and Windoze Updates installed it. Now I periodically have to reinstall the driver from the folder I keep called "Prolific Driver that works". However that same lead works fine with the RasPi, just plug and play.

                Bob

                G3WKW