Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] SD card for Pi

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 16 1:44 AM
      It is a rubbish quality slow card .

      I just purchased 3 of these below at $7 each posted;

      Transcend SD HC SDHC Class 10 4GB 4 4G G GB Flash Memory Card New 20MB/S 20MB /S

      unzip
      use
      for instructions to burn image and get going.
      Adrian ... vk4tux
    • jerome schatten
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 16 10:11 AM
        Hi Ron... yes it has been a long time, and likewise -- glad to see you're still active on pacquette!

        When I first got the pi, I was quite nervous that that I could easily do something stupid and end up with no pi at all, so I bought a little reader/writer for $12 and just made a dupe of OS and filed it away. I then bought the 8G Sandisk and downloaded the latest image, and burned it to the card using linux 'dd'. Slick, no problems.

        At that point I realized that I didn't know how to mount a USB stick in linux terminal mode, so I figured that out, and then decided to put jnos on the stick and leave the OS on the card with a few utilities. That's the way I've been running ever since.

        I share your view that rotating machinery in a computer system is a good thing to get rid of if you can, and to me, that was one of the big joys of the pi -- no moving parts, no noise, and the potential for excellent reliability.

        The system here is headless; no keyboard, mouse or screen. I use linux 'screen' to provide remote keyboard and screen access which is managed remotely by ssh'ing in with my iPad mini and re-attaching a screen.

        Also, I have ordered a TNCpi, in hopes of retiring my kam-xl for my one radio drop.

        My radio drop reminds me of a Buddhist prayer wheel, where over and over, into space, time and ether, my packet ID and  mail trailer are  broadcast. OM MANI PADME HUM being replaced by the callsigns of those who had mail on VE7ASS in 1988, but who are now pushing up the daisies of their final reward.

        I have no 'live users' at all that I know of, but the 'wheel' keeps turning anyway, and somehow, that pleases me <g>.

        There are however, my partners that I share UDP and AXIP links with. We forward useless bulletins and messages that no sane persons would care read. Our WP are up to date, and we fret when a link fails to work properly. This is the residue of the 'old days' -- the  comradery of the linking partners  -- this is all that survives as near as I can tell.

        So, I invite you (any of you) to make arrangements for to link to ve7ass.ampr.org: '44.135.160.40 encap 24.84.205.232'   and to keep that wheel spinning.

        Best,
        jerome - VE7ASS

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 16 12:30 PM
          Perhaps I should have worded my original post this way:

          "If you can't get win32diskimager to backup a full sized image but only get a 57 MB img file with your internal SD reader, try a USB reader. It worked for me."

          John, of course it's not generally the case, but more than a few people have had problems with SD card installs and backups, judging from the number of threads on the raspberry pi forums on this subject.

          I can only speak from my own experience. Backing up the SD, well, it didn't work as advertised. I had to search the web for help and winnow through a lot of uninformed opinions before I found something that worked. I haven't been able to find it in any raspberry pi FAQ.
          Was just hoping I might be able to help at least one other person who will stumble across this thread that has the same problem.

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 16 12:57 PM
            Sorry, Rory.

            I didn't mean to imply that your suggestion wasn't useful. I just didn't want newcomers going out and buying a USB reader before trying one they already have.

            73, John

            Perhaps I should have worded my original post this way:

            "If you can't get win32diskimager to backup a full sized image but only get a 57 MB img file with your internal SD reader, try a USB reader. It worked for me."

            John, of course it's not generally the case, but more than a few people have had problems with SD card installs and backups, judging from the number of threads on the raspberry pi forums on this subject.

            I can only speak from my own experience. Backing up the SD, well, it didn't work as advertised. I had to search the web for help and winnow through a lot of uninformed opinions before I found something that worked. I haven't been able to find it in any raspberry pi FAQ.
            Was just hoping I might be able to help at least one other person who will stumble across this thread that has the same problem.

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

            > I don't thank
            that is generally the case - my laptop SD drive works fine.
            > Windows will
            only sees the first partition, but win32diskimager accesses
            > the whole
            card.

            > John G8BPQ
            >
            > _____

            properly.

          • bob_g3wkw
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 16 3:29 PM
              I just bought one of these on Ebay and couldn't write to it (PC said locked) It looked good and had proper looking packaging but when I went to the Transcend Website as given on the packaging and attempted to register it it had a completely bogus serial number. I exchanged a couple of emails with Transcend to confirm this and am now trying to get my cash back, (7GBP). Surprisingly it did work in my HD camcorder, but not in my USB card reader. Other cards have been OK. Ebay had already pulled the item and sent out a warning post, so I was not the first sucker caught! But it means I can't leave the **** negative feedback. Might have to go to Argos.

              Bob

              G3WKW
            • Adrian
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 16 4:19 PM
                OK on that, there are always fake items, The genuine Transcend cards work great. I purchased some pl2303 usb-ser adapters a while back to find they were all fake and did not co-operate with the true pl2303 driver. Luck of the draw these days.

                adrian ... vk4tux

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 16 4:53 PM
                  Gotta jump in here for a sec...  as far as SD cards for the Pi goes... best performance so far without trying to break the bank is a 64G Class 10 card I found on eBay (branded SDC).

                  Ran a bunch of benchmarks yesterday with various cards and media... this card came in at 13.2M/sec writing.  (164M file continuous write)  Not bad for a $15 card, and with 64G the wear leveling will help it last a LONG time.

                  Dave
                  N0TRQ

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 17 1:48 AM
                    Yes I must have one of those fake CAT leads too, it worked fine for a year or two until Prolific updated the driver and Windoze Updates installed it. Now I periodically have to reinstall the driver from the folder I keep called "Prolific Driver that works". However that same lead works fine with the RasPi, just plug and play.

                    Bob

                    G3WKW