Re: Auto setup WIFI for open networks

  • w5pfr
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 15, 2013
      If you run IRCDDB/CCS gateway program, you are a gateway. Basicaly with that software, you can callsign route and folks can callsign route to you, once you get it all config correctly.
      73.
      johnny
      w5pfr

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "KeithL" <keith@...> wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > I'm curious to learn more about how you get a PI to host a DSTAR Gateway.
      >
      > I am currently in the process of setting up a gateway.
      >
      > Did you stay with CentOS?
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > -Keith
      > KC0ZZQ
      >
      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "w5pfr" <w5pfr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello group. I was wondering if anyone here have their Wifi setup for the PI, to automatically link in to open networks, like McDonalds, Burger King, etc, I am running a Dstar gateway with my PI, and sure like to see if I can make that happen. As of now, I am tethering it through my phone, to gain access to the Internet, but like to see I it's possible for it to look for open networks and just connect to them automatically . You have to remember that there is no key board or screen is hooked up to the PI, and the operation has to be automatic.
      > > Thanks in advance
      > > John, w5pfr

    • w5pfr
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 15, 2013
        I forgot about that john. You are correct. It wont work. Guess, I'll just stay with tethering through my phone. thanks and 73
        johnny, w5pfr

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

        > The problem you are going to run into isn't getting it to connect, but
        > rather because they assume you are web browsing and their lawyers want you
        > to click on a "terms and conditions" statement.
        >
        > ------------------------------
        > John D. Hays
        > K7VE
        > PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
        > <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
        > <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

      • w5pfr
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 15, 2013
          Thanks Adrian, will try your image when I get home.
          73, johnny
          w5pfr

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 28, 2013
              If a bluetooth device was added, would it thenbe possible to use use the bluetooth to link to the
              phone and run a terminal so as to be able to 'answer' the free-wifi 'terms-of-endearment' screens...
              ????

              -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 28, 2013
                Or perhaps add a 2nd wifi dongle SET to perminently link to the phone but use the free wifi on the
                other device when available.

                -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B