TNC-X Questions

  • neocharles_kk4hok
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 15, 2013
      I am getting around to building and installing this on my very first Raspberry Pi. I am hoping you can answer a few questions for me!

      I bought the model Pi with the higher amount of RAM on it (not sure if that matters). I also picked up 2 of the TNC-X's and have them built and attached onto the Pi.

      I hope to use this for a 2m and a 440 HT to have packet running on both frequencies in the area. (at least, that's the plan. May not last that way long-term).

      I followed the steps on the PDF file. Luckily, ax25 is included in the newest Weezy release, so that made it a little easier.

      I went ahead and removed the lines specified from cmdline.txt and edited the inittab file as well.

      I loaded the ax25-tools and ax25-apps, and went ahead and edited the /etc/ax25/axports file. I added the two lines as stated in the pdf file (except using my call). I then went ahead and ran 'sudo kissattach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1', and it seemed to be successful - to a point. I was able to execute 'sudo axlisten -a' and I was able to see the packet data properly. However, when I had ran kissattach, it seems that it took my pi off the wireless network, and I was no longer able to ssh in, etc. I am unsure if that's the correct thing that is supposed to happen or not.

      Anyways, at that point, I went ahead and continued on in the manual past some of the other steps, onto the portion about the I2C protocol. That's what I am interested in - using it with John's software.

      However, this again has me stumped. Specifically, since I have two TNCs hooked up, I am unsure how to set this up. I went ahead and removed the lines in /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf and added the line in /etc/modules. I downloaded and extracted paraps.zip and set that to be able to be executed, however, regardless of what value I put in 'b' for 'pitnc_getparams b d', I get the same output: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=NRsEhVFp

      From what I thought by reading this, since they're both shipped apparently with this value being 0, how do I differentiate between the two? Why is it responding when I use 1, or even 2?

      I have pretty much stopped at this point, and awaiting to hear back as to what is going on so far, and where to proceed from here.

      Thanks!!
      Charles, KK4HOK
    • John Hansen
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 15, 2013
        Charles:

        When the I2C address is set to zero, it means it's using your serial port, not I2C.  The software for setting the address to something other than 0 is located in the params.zip file that's mentioned in the manual.

        I'm not sure why this is impacting your WiFi.  I haven't seen that here, though I am interacting with the Pi at the console, not over ssh.  I think G8BPQ is using ssh and he may have a better idea of what is going on than I do.

        John W2FS

        On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM, neocharles_kk4hok <neocharles@...> wrote:

[...]

        From what I thought by reading this, since they're both shipped apparently with this value being 0, how do I differentiate between the two? Why is it responding when I use 1, or even 2?

        I have pretty much stopped at this point, and awaiting to hear back as to what is going on so far, and where to proceed from here.

        Thanks!!
        Charles, KK4HOK

      • ferrymanr
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
          I am also a little confused about switching to I2C. Everything works perfectly as normal serial. I lifted the two links JP3, JP4 and tried 'pitnc_getparams 0 0' but even as a superuser I get the message 'Permission denied'. Working on the assumption that to set the board to I2C address 1 I should issue the command 'pitnc_setparams 0 0 7 1' I tried that and also got 'Permission denied'. So I have fallen at the first hurdle. Incidentally I will be using XASTIR aprs for initial testing so will need to run i2ckiss once I have set up theI2C buss.

          Dick G4BBH
        • ferrymanr
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
            After a coffee I realised the utilities were not set executable. Both now run but I just get a repeated message 'retrying...' in each case.
            Dick G4BBH

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
              Dick,

              You have to leave the links in place until you have switched the board to i2c mode. It has to be able to communicate in serial mode to set the address.

              John

              After a coffee I realised the utilities were not set executable. Both now run but I just get a repeated message 'retrying...' in each case.
              Dick G4BBH

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "ferrymanr" <g4bbh@...> wrote:

              > I am also a little confused
              about switching to I2C. Everything works perfectly as normal serial. I lifted the two links JP3, JP4 and tried 'pitnc_getparams 0 0' but even as a superuser I get the message 'Permission denied'. Working on the assumption that to set the board to I2C address 1 I should issue the command 'pitnc_setparams 0 0 7 1' I tried that and also got 'Permission denied'. So I have fallen at the first hurdle. Incidentally I will be using XASTIR aprs for initial testing so will need to run i2ckiss once I have set up theI2C buss.

              > Dick
              G4BBH

            • ferrymanr
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                Thanks John. Now got it set - just changed to device 1. pitnc_getparams 0 1 now works. Took the jumpers off again and ran i2ckiss 0 1 symlink com1 and got the following:-
                0 0
                0 0
                slave device is: /dev/pts/2
                Resetting TNC
                symlink: No such file or diectory
                symlink from /dev/pts/2 to com1 created

                then a few moment later a message:-
                i2ckiss: poll failed: input/output error

                By the way, I guess that once working this will look like a serial kiss TNC on com1 to XASTIR but not sure what baud rate it will assume.

                Dick G4BBH
                Off to walk the dog and regain my sanity!

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                  I suggest you first check that the pi can see the tnc- use i2cdetect

                  If you are running on a version 2 board (with mounting holes) the i2c bus is 1, not zero.

                  The baud rate is irrelevant for the i2c connection.

                  href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com

                  <g4bbh@> wrote:

                  > > I am also a little confused
                  about switching to I2C. Everything works
                  > perfectly as normal serial. I
                  lifted the two links JP3, JP4 and tried
                  > 'pitnc_getparams 0 0' but even
                  as a superuser I get the message 'Permission
                  > denied'. Working on the
                  assumption that to set the board to I2C address 1 I
                  > should issue the
                  command 'pitnc_setparams 0 0 7 1' I tried that and also got
                  > 'Permission
                  denied'. So I have fallen at the first hurdle. Incidentally I
                  > will be
                  using XASTIR aprs for initial testing so will need to run i2ckiss
                  > once I
                  have set up theI2C buss.

                  > > Dick G4BBH

                • ferrymanr
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                    Something doesn't seem logical. I am using the instructions dated 13 March.
                    If I do 'pitnc_setparams 0 0 7 1' it should change the device to '1' but if I then try 'pitnc_getparams 0 1' to correspond to 'pitnc_getparams b d' I get no respose. However 'pitnc_getparams 1 0' responds with the list of settings which looks as if (b)us has changed not (d)evice.
                    Dick G4BBH

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                      Dick,

                      If the second param is zero, the first is ignored. If it responds to pitnc_getparams 1 0 it is still in serial mode.

                      John

                      <g4bbh@> wrote:

                      > > I am also a little confused
                      about switching to I2C. Everything works
                      > perfectly as normal serial. I
                      lifted the two links JP3, JP4 and tried
                      > 'pitnc_getparams 0 0' but even
                      as a superuser I get the message 'Permission
                      > denied'. Working on the
                      assumption that to set the board to I2C address 1 I
                      > should issue the
                      command 'pitnc_setparams 0 0 7 1' I tried that and also got
                      > 'Permission
                      denied'. So I have fallen at the first hurdle. Incidentally I
                      > will be
                      using XASTIR aprs for initial testing so will need to run i2ckiss
                      > once I
                      have set up theI2C buss.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                        I've written some instructions for enabling i2c on the pi, and configuring a TNC-PI to use it.

                        73, John G8BPQ
                      • ferrymanr
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                          Somehow it now fails to respond to anything on ttyAMA0 or using all the combinations I could think of with pitnc_getparams even with the jumpers installed. Got a gut feeling I have screwed up the settings in a way that is not easy to recover. Seems the same on both my RPi boards, one very early one and one later one both date from before they added holes. Possibly needs reloading the pic code? I don't think there is a 'panic button' reset of parameters. Looks as if there is a hex dump in the params zip file for when I can borrow a programmer. Until then I'm on hold.:-(
                          Dick G4BBH

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                            I2cdetect 0 will show if it is visible on the bus. Otherwise I'm afraid you are right - it will need a pic programmer to fix it. If you cant run i2cdetect, check the PI configuration.

                            73, John

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 23, 2013
                              The i2c address must be between 3 and 119. I've updated the doc to highlight this, and updated pitnc_setparams to check the value.

                              73, John