Auto setup WIFI for open networks

  • w5pfr
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 15 6:17 AM
      Hello group. I was wondering if anyone here have their Wifi setup for the PI, to automatically link in to open networks, like McDonalds, Burger King, etc, I am running a Dstar gateway with my PI, and sure like to see if I can make that happen. As of now, I am tethering it through my phone, to gain access to the Internet, but like to see I it's possible for it to look for open networks and just connect to them automatically . You have to remember that there is no key board or screen is hooked up to the PI, and the operation has to be automatic.
      Thanks in advance
      John, w5pfr
    • Adrian
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 15 6:37 AM
        That already works fine to wlan auto connect in fedora remix;

        http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/wlan.jpg

        Network manager provides a auto connect option

        try the image (fits on a 4GB card)

        see;

        https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gcddllsx2ybc4kb/SAmaWagIPj?lst

        image direct;

        https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9kafrhcylazomw/remixautodstar.img.zip

        User  = ham

        passwd  = operator

        root passwd = remixer

        run

        sudo yum install kernel kernel install

        and easy install your wlan device or aircard via network manager;

        Adrian ... vk4tux

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 15 6:40 AM
          John,

          I'm curious to learn more about how you get a PI to host a DSTAR Gateway.

          I am currently in the process of setting up a gateway.

          Did you stay with CentOS?

          thanks,

          -Keith
          KC0ZZQ

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "w5pfr" <w5pfr@...> wrote:

          > Hello group. I was wondering if anyone here have their Wifi setup for the PI, to automatically link in to open networks, like McDonalds, Burger King, etc, I am running a Dstar gateway with my PI, and sure like to see if I can make that happen. As of now, I am tethering it through my phone, to gain access to the Internet, but like to see I it's possible for it to look for open networks and just connect to them automatically . You have to remember that there is no key board or screen is hooked up to the PI, and the operation has to be automatic.
          > Thanks in advance
          > John, w5pfr

        • Adrian
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 15 7:16 AM

            Sent from my iPhone

            On 15/03/2013, at 23:37, Adrian <vk4tux@...> wrote:

            That already works fine to wlan auto connect in fedora remix;

            http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/wlan.jpg

            Network manager provides a auto connect option

            try the image (fits on a 4GB card)

            see;

            https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gcddllsx2ybc4kb/SAmaWagIPj?lst

            image direct;

            https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9kafrhcylazomw/remixautodstar.img.zip

            User  = ham

            passwd  = operator

            root passwd = remixer

            run

            sudo yum install kernel kernel-development

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 15 9:14 AM
              The problem you are going to run into isn't getting it to connect, but rather because they assume you are web browsing and their lawyers want you to click on a "terms and conditions" statement.

            • Adrian

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 15 1:43 PM
                  Im using external Wlan network hardware, My work place uses web athentication, so currently automatic hopping isnt posible.

                  You could bond the multible wierless conections (in auto mode), to maintain an internet conection.

                  Mathison kj6dzb

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 15 2:16 PM
                    If you run IRCDDB/CCS gateway program, you are a gateway. Basicaly with that software, you can callsign route and folks can callsign route to you, once you get it all config correctly.
                    73.
                    johnny
                    w5pfr

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "KeithL" <keith@...> wrote:

                    > John,
                    >
                    > I'm curious to learn more about how you get a PI to host a DSTAR Gateway.
                    >
                    > I am currently in the process of setting up a gateway.
                    >
                    > Did you stay with CentOS?
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    >
                    > -Keith
                    > KC0ZZQ
                    >
                    > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "w5pfr" <w5pfr@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello group. I was wondering if anyone here have their Wifi setup for the PI, to automatically link in to open networks, like McDonalds, Burger King, etc, I am running a Dstar gateway with my PI, and sure like to see if I can make that happen. As of now, I am tethering it through my phone, to gain access to the Internet, but like to see I it's possible for it to look for open networks and just connect to them automatically . You have to remember that there is no key board or screen is hooked up to the PI, and the operation has to be automatic.
                    > > Thanks in advance
                    > > John, w5pfr

                  • w5pfr
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 15 2:18 PM
                      I forgot about that john. You are correct. It wont work. Guess, I'll just stay with tethering through my phone. thanks and 73
                      johnny, w5pfr

                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

                      > The problem you are going to run into isn't getting it to connect, but
                      > rather because they assume you are web browsing and their lawyers want you
                      > to click on a "terms and conditions" statement.
                      >
                      > ------------------------------
                      > John D. Hays
                      > K7VE
                      > PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
                      > <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
                      > <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

                    • w5pfr
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 15 2:22 PM
                        Thanks Adrian, will try your image when I get home.
                        73, johnny
                        w5pfr

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 28 8:06 PM
                            If a bluetooth device was added, would it thenbe possible to use use the bluetooth to link to the
                            phone and run a terminal so as to be able to 'answer' the free-wifi 'terms-of-endearment' screens...
                            ????

                            -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 28 8:07 PM
                              Or perhaps add a 2nd wifi dongle SET to perminently link to the phone but use the free wifi on the
                              other device when available.

                              -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B