RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] SD card for Pi

  • jerome schatten
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 14, 2013
      Ron...

      Buy a little card reader/writer and back up your card. Then go and get a couple of good high speed Sandisk 8 or 16 gig cards, download the latest image, and burn it to the HS cards. This way you will always have backups if your card goes haywire, and you can experiment with various incarnations of the OS freely. If you intend to run 'write intensive' applications, put the apps on a memory stick rather than the SD card, thus minimizing the chances of corrupting the OS.

      I believe there's some 'cockamaimi' scheme that spreads successive writes out across the card to minimize the number of writes to the same location(s) on the card. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence <g>. For all I know, the memory sticks might do the same thing, but I've never heard about it.

      My pi has been running 24/7 since Nov.2012; it has never crashed.

       I cannot say the same for Jnos, which is running on it (off a memory stick), but still, I would give Jnos high marks as sometime it's weeks before evil sets in.

      As for the call letters; in my view, you can't have too many. To wit:  For snooping around the digital modes, I use VE7SPY; to sign correspondence and run Packet, I use VE7ASS; to talk into a microphone (if I could find one) I use VE7POO and to work CW (real ham radio), I use VA7VV.

      Best,
      jerome - ve7ass

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 15, 2013
        Jerome,

        Ok on the use of the calls.  I just wonder how you are able to have access to these.  I am trustee of 4 calls here in us; my personal call, N9EE, and trustee for 3 club calls, WA4T (Suncoast ARC), W4PEM (Pasco Co, FL EOC), W4FLG (volunteer disaster support group)  and I guess I can legally use.  The FCC has gotten real picky on seeing one get more than a call plus one club call and have now changed the rules to allow one Ham to be trustee for only one club call.  Had some Ham in HI who got many of the 2x1s as club calls just so he could have them and then maybe sell them or something, hi.  They grandfathered in those like me who already had the calls.  I only have the club calls for no one else in the clubs/organizations wanted to take it.

        Now back to the Pi, my computer has slots for reading various cards including the SD cards from my 2 cameras.  Would this not be good enough to read/save/program SD cards for the Pi???  I am getting more SD cards for back up and also to work with other things in the Pi.

        73, ron, n9ee/r

        Ron Wright, N9EE/R
        BSEE
        Micro Computer Concepts
        352-683-4476
        mccrpt@...

        To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 15, 2013
          Hello Jerome..long time no see. Glad to see you're still active on packet. My FBB on Suse linux has been running 24/7/365 since 1986.
          After all that its time for a big change. Got my first Pi yesterday and have it running javAPRSSrvr already but looking around for a tnc solution..and how I ended up on this group (just ordered 2 TNC-PIs).

          Have a PiIRLP in the mail so having 2 Pi servers running 24/7 I also wonder about the life of SD cards when lots of read/writes (packet & APRS). Option of was using USB memory sticks or USB drives for data storage. The sticks might be ok but any spinning drive defeats the whole purpose of "solid-state" and dc-power only.

          I see a lot of SD cards listed as reliable with the Pi but wonder if speed of the card would be a factor in long life?

          What process are people using to 'duplicate' the SC cards for Pi as backup? With only 2GB of data is it not just as easy to make an image of the card and have spare cards ready..even just for testing.

          73, Ron
          VE1AIC

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 15, 2013
              I found that on my laptop, windows 7 and win32diskimager does not see more than the first partition on the SD when using the built in SD card reader. When doing backups it produces a 75mb file. It takes a USB SD card reader/adapter to work properly.

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 15, 2013
                I  don't thank that is generally the case - my laptop SD drive works fine. Windows will only sees the first partition, but win32diskimager  accesses the whole card.

                John G8BPQ

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 15, 2013
                  Thats normal, the boot is fat32 and the rootfs 2nd partition is ext4.

                  If you use fedora 18 or other linux like me, you can mount the whole setup when the the usb card reader is plugged in, edit files etc, ready for effect on the Rpi when re-inserted.

                  DD and fedora arm installer cover everything needed for image work.

                  See

                  http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/

                  Adrian ... vk4tux

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 15, 2013
                    On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Ron Wright, N9EE <mccrpt@...> wrote:

                    Anyone tried this SD card with following:

                    This 4GB SDHC card comes preinstalled with Raspbian Wheezy, a Linux Debian based operating system optimized to run on the Raspberry Pi.

                    See at: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14268

                    73, ron, n9ee/r

                    Hey Ron!

                    I haven't had a chance to play with the Pi yet but have watched a few others do so, and it seems that all SD cards aren't created equal.

                    Sorry if that's old news.  The article may be a bit dated but I think the point is very valid.

                    Regards and 73s,

                    Brad
                    KF7FER
                  • Adrian
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
                      It is a rubbish quality slow card .

                      I just purchased 3 of these below at $7 each posted;

                      Transcend SD HC SDHC Class 10 4GB 4 4G G GB Flash Memory Card New 20MB/S 20MB /S

                      unzip
                      use
                      for instructions to burn image and get going.
                      Adrian ... vk4tux
                    • jerome schatten
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
                        Hi Ron... yes it has been a long time, and likewise -- glad to see you're still active on pacquette!

                        When I first got the pi, I was quite nervous that that I could easily do something stupid and end up with no pi at all, so I bought a little reader/writer for $12 and just made a dupe of OS and filed it away. I then bought the 8G Sandisk and downloaded the latest image, and burned it to the card using linux 'dd'. Slick, no problems.

                        At that point I realized that I didn't know how to mount a USB stick in linux terminal mode, so I figured that out, and then decided to put jnos on the stick and leave the OS on the card with a few utilities. That's the way I've been running ever since.

                        I share your view that rotating machinery in a computer system is a good thing to get rid of if you can, and to me, that was one of the big joys of the pi -- no moving parts, no noise, and the potential for excellent reliability.

                        The system here is headless; no keyboard, mouse or screen. I use linux 'screen' to provide remote keyboard and screen access which is managed remotely by ssh'ing in with my iPad mini and re-attaching a screen.

                        Also, I have ordered a TNCpi, in hopes of retiring my kam-xl for my one radio drop.

                        My radio drop reminds me of a Buddhist prayer wheel, where over and over, into space, time and ether, my packet ID and  mail trailer are  broadcast. OM MANI PADME HUM being replaced by the callsigns of those who had mail on VE7ASS in 1988, but who are now pushing up the daisies of their final reward.

                        I have no 'live users' at all that I know of, but the 'wheel' keeps turning anyway, and somehow, that pleases me <g>.

                        There are however, my partners that I share UDP and AXIP links with. We forward useless bulletins and messages that no sane persons would care read. Our WP are up to date, and we fret when a link fails to work properly. This is the residue of the 'old days' -- the  comradery of the linking partners  -- this is all that survives as near as I can tell.

                        So, I invite you (any of you) to make arrangements for to link to ve7ass.ampr.org: '44.135.160.40 encap 24.84.205.232'   and to keep that wheel spinning.

                        Best,
                        jerome - VE7ASS

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
                          Perhaps I should have worded my original post this way:

                          "If you can't get win32diskimager to backup a full sized image but only get a 57 MB img file with your internal SD reader, try a USB reader. It worked for me."

                          John, of course it's not generally the case, but more than a few people have had problems with SD card installs and backups, judging from the number of threads on the raspberry pi forums on this subject.

                          I can only speak from my own experience. Backing up the SD, well, it didn't work as advertised. I had to search the web for help and winnow through a lot of uninformed opinions before I found something that worked. I haven't been able to find it in any raspberry pi FAQ.
                          Was just hoping I might be able to help at least one other person who will stumble across this thread that has the same problem.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
                            Sorry, Rory.

                            I didn't mean to imply that your suggestion wasn't useful. I just didn't want newcomers going out and buying a USB reader before trying one they already have.

                            73, John

                            Perhaps I should have worded my original post this way:

                            "If you can't get win32diskimager to backup a full sized image but only get a 57 MB img file with your internal SD reader, try a USB reader. It worked for me."

                            John, of course it's not generally the case, but more than a few people have had problems with SD card installs and backups, judging from the number of threads on the raspberry pi forums on this subject.

                            I can only speak from my own experience. Backing up the SD, well, it didn't work as advertised. I had to search the web for help and winnow through a lot of uninformed opinions before I found something that worked. I haven't been able to find it in any raspberry pi FAQ.
                            Was just hoping I might be able to help at least one other person who will stumble across this thread that has the same problem.

                            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

                            > I don't thank
                            that is generally the case - my laptop SD drive works fine.
                            > Windows will
                            only sees the first partition, but win32diskimager accesses
                            > the whole
                            card.

                            > John G8BPQ
                            >
                            > _____

                            properly.

                          • bob_g3wkw
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
                              I just bought one of these on Ebay and couldn't write to it (PC said locked) It looked good and had proper looking packaging but when I went to the Transcend Website as given on the packaging and attempted to register it it had a completely bogus serial number. I exchanged a couple of emails with Transcend to confirm this and am now trying to get my cash back, (7GBP). Surprisingly it did work in my HD camcorder, but not in my USB card reader. Other cards have been OK. Ebay had already pulled the item and sent out a warning post, so I was not the first sucker caught! But it means I can't leave the **** negative feedback. Might have to go to Argos.

                              Bob

                              G3WKW
                            • Adrian
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
                                OK on that, there are always fake items, The genuine Transcend cards work great. I purchased some pl2303 usb-ser adapters a while back to find they were all fake and did not co-operate with the true pl2303 driver. Luck of the draw these days.

                                adrian ... vk4tux

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 16, 2013
                                  Gotta jump in here for a sec...  as far as SD cards for the Pi goes... best performance so far without trying to break the bank is a 64G Class 10 card I found on eBay (branded SDC).

                                  Ran a bunch of benchmarks yesterday with various cards and media... this card came in at 13.2M/sec writing.  (164M file continuous write)  Not bad for a $15 card, and with 64G the wear leveling will help it last a LONG time.

                                  Dave
                                  N0TRQ

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 17, 2013
                                    Yes I must have one of those fake CAT leads too, it worked fine for a year or two until Prolific updated the driver and Windoze Updates installed it. Now I periodically have to reinstall the driver from the folder I keep called "Prolific Driver that works". However that same lead works fine with the RasPi, just plug and play.

                                    Bob

                                    G3WKW