Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] TNC-Pi Audio input.

  • marcos martinez
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 11, 2013
      Nowadays I'm testing the TNC-Pi with a FT-857. As the owner's manual says, the output is fixed to 100mV/600Ohm.

      73.

      El 10/03/13 23:13, John Hansen escribió:

      Which radio are you using? Generally TNC-Pi is able to handle a fairly wide range of input audio levels.

      John W2FS

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 7:19 AM, marcos martinez <ea1fau@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      How can we manage the TNC-Pi RX-audio input if we are using the 'data'
      connection with fixed audio level?

      I lose packets with clear audio.

      73.

    • John Hansen

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 11, 2013
          Hi John,

          Thanks for your answers.

          I've checked the 1% resistors locations, and they are installed as the assembly instructions.

          I'm going to have a look on the group that you recommend.

          73.

          El 11/03/13 13:58, John Hansen escribió:

[...]

        • Bob Scanferla
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 11, 2013
            Do you have a scope or a Voltmeter to measure the audio into the TNC from the Radio......or maybe another ham with a TNC that can send test tones (Calibri) could send you the modulated carrier for your radio to demod and send to the TNC so you can adjust the input level to your TNC-X?

            Sorry if I am repeating suggestions already provided.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 11, 2013
              John;
              Just received the TNC kit. Thanks

              Dave, WB5NHL
            • gsw_mail
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
                Many (although apparently not all) those using Yaesu radios with data jacks have sometimes experienced difficulties with receive audio level. Search for "R11" in the TNC-X group for John's earlier suggestion of removing or shorting this resistor. This has worked for me with multiple Yaesu radios and TNC-Xs.

                Gary
                W6GSW

                W6GSW-10 | Winlink RMS Packet gateway
                145.630 MHz | 1200 baud | DM04WB

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, marcos martinez <ea1fau@...> wrote:

                > Hi John,
                >
                > Thanks for your answers.
                >
                > I've checked the 1% resistors locations, and they are installed as the
                > assembly instructions.
                >
                > I'm going to have a look on the group that you recommend.
                >
                > 73.
                >

                > El 11/03/13 13:58, John Hansen escribió:
                > > The audio input circuit on the TNC-Pi is identical to that used on the
                > > TNC-X. I know that there are people using the 857 with the TNC-X.
                > > You might try asking this question on the TNC-X yahoo group.
                > >
                > > One other thing...double check to make sure that the 1% resistors (the
                > > blue ones) have not been accidentally switched. These resistors
                > > (along with the MCP6023 op amp) form a high pass filter and the values
                > > are pretty critical. If you accidentally got them mixed up, it would
                > > have a serious negative impact on performance.
                > >
                > > John W2FS
                > >

                > > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:37 AM, marcos martinez <ea1fau@...
                > > <mailto:ea1fau@...>> wrote:
                > >
                > > Nowadays I'm testing the TNC-Pi with a FT-857. As the owner's
                > > manual says, the output is fixed to 100mV/600Ohm.
                > >
                > > 73.
                > >
                > > El 10/03/13 23:13, John Hansen escribió:
                > >> Which radio are you using? Generally TNC-Pi is able to handle a
                > >> fairly wide range of input audio levels.
                > >>
                > >> John W2FS
                > >>

                > >> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 7:19 AM, marcos martinez
                > >> <ea1fau@... <mailto:ea1fau@...>> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Hello,
                > >>
                > >> How can we manage the TNC-Pi RX-audio input if we are using
                > >> the 'data'
                > >> connection with fixed audio level?
                > >>
                > >> I lose packets with clear audio.
                > >>
                > >> 73.

              • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
                  Good example... With my Older KAMs I usualy have to with select radios.. Mostly Kenwood and Yaesu have to add a 39k resistor inline with the mic audio so the ALC is easier to adjust other wise you just barely turn the ALC knob and it jumps almost an inch on the meter.. Yikes...
                  73 Jerry