Remote Rig control - What are the options

  • kb1qzh
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2013
      Hello All,
      I do realize that this has probably been asked before.
      What are the for doing remote rig control and audio in linux (of course targeting the Raspberry Pi)?

      Is the only good option hamlib or flrig and speakfreely? Am I correct in assuming that VNC or RDP is used to log into the Pi as there's nothing like the Icom remote software or HRD 6.0's TCP\IP control.

      Thanks and 73s
      frank b
      kb1qzh
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2013
        SSH is normally used.

        If you want to run a GUI based program remotely from the Pi, using a linux machine or possibly Xming
        or other Xwindow terminal client, then you can use:

        open your ssh sessions with:
        ssh -X <username>@<pi-address/url>

        then once logged in, simply run the GUI program like this:

        <username@piname># <gui-program-name>&

        This will start the program running on the Pi, but the GUI will show up on you linux/Xwindow machine
        and the & will cause the program to run as it's own job and return your prompt. Very effective
        method and less resource intensive then running RDP/VNC on the Pi. Of course there are times when
        VNC may be preferred/needed, I have found that VNC raises CPU% from 15-20% to 80-95% usage, that's a
        lot of CPU time but when needed I would rather have the CPU WORK 4 ME then me haveing to do the work
        and the CPU loaf around at < 25% usage.

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B