DSTAR repeater with RaspBerry PI

  • Ron Wright, N9EE
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013
      Hi all,

      I am relative new to building repeaters for DSTAR.

      I am wanting to use RaspBerry PI with DVRPTR board for making a repeater in MSR2000 for DSTAR.

      Not to take up too much of the members time, but I am sure some have done what I want to do. I am in need of basic info needed for the RaspBerry PI and DVRPTR setup.

      I have the MSR2000 running DSTAR with a simple, but good controller, but need to replace it and interface to the GateWay with local internet connection with the Pi and DVRPTR.

      Can anyone give the basics of what is needed for the Pi and DVRPTR???

      thanks, ron, n9ee/r

      ps: I've done similar with PC running Windows XP and Dutch Star board.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013
        Hi Ron,

        Physically, it's wire the DVRPTR board to PTT, GND, Disc, Modulator on the MSR2000.  You probably have all of that mapped out for your current DSTAR on MSR2000.  The DVRPTR automatically adjusts for received signal level, but you will need to tweak the transmit level for 1.25+/- Khz deviation.  I like using a lot of snap-on ferrite chokes on all cables and you may want to faraday shield the Pi and DVRPTR depending on your RF environment.

        From the DVRPTR you will run USB to the Pi, preferably using a powered USB hub. (If you get a powered HUB you can also use it to power the Pi, preferably 2 AMP power supply).   (The DVRPTR will likely appear as /dev/ttyACM0)

        Pull down and install a Wheezy "Soft Float" or "Raspbian" image from:

        http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

        Pull down these two files:

        Gateway-ENG.pdf (This is your configuration guide  -- it uses the GUI, but I recommend using the dstargw_conf program that comes with the install)

         ircDDBGateway-DEB-instructions-ENG-20130123.pdf  (This is your install guide)

        You will install the ircDDBGateway and pcrepeatercontroller software using 'apt-get' on the pi.

        Using the dstargw_conf program from the install, you configure the gateway and repeater -- if you are only interested in linking, don't select an ircddb server, just setup each of the linking systems.  If you do have a club callsign for the repeater, then register at http://regsrv.ircddb.net/  (then you will have all features, including callsign routing and STARnet Digital groups) and use the credentials you receive to connect to the Group 2 ircDDB server cluster -- you might also want to change the APRS reporting to a more local APRS2 gateway.

        I have run this software on a RasPi and it works just fine. (Including over a T-Mobile 4G modem at Dayton.)

        I recently obtained a MSR-2000 to put on 2 meters, but I think it may have the PA for just above 2 meters, do you know if they can be modified to move them down into band?  (It was used in a base configuration in the 150 mhz band.) I'd like notes on your build. :)

        I have a Kenwood on 70cm and it has worked with the DVRPTR (V1) board very well. (I also have a NQSMHS board and it just isn't as good.)  Here is a blog post on that project (not up to date, but some basic information) http://k7ve.org/blog/2010/06/converting-the-kenwood-tkr-820-to-use-with-d-star/

        On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Ron Wright, N9EE <mccrpt@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        I am relative new to building repeaters for DSTAR.

        I am wanting to use RaspBerry PI with DVRPTR board for making a repeater in MSR2000 for DSTAR.

        Not to take up too much of the members time, but I am sure some have done what I want to do. I am in need of basic info needed for the RaspBerry PI and DVRPTR setup.

        I have the MSR2000 running DSTAR with a simple, but good controller, but need to replace it and interface to the GateWay with local internet connection with the Pi and DVRPTR.

        Can anyone give the basics of what is needed for the Pi and DVRPTR???

        thanks, ron, n9ee/r

        ps: I've done similar with PC running Windows XP and Dutch Star board.

      • Ron Wright
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2013
          John,

          Thanks for the info.  It will be big help.  I'll read over it and follow your advice.

          On the MSR2000 they the exciters and rcvrs were designed to go down to 146, but will work well down into 144/145.  I am using in 146 and also 147.  The PAs are from the Micor line and yes they are in 3 segments with most going down to 150.8, but they will work well down into 146/147.  The Micor line had problems in the rcvr going down to 146, but the MSR2000 is made for it.

          It is very easy to make MSR2000 do DSTAR by inserting data late in the exciter modulator chain and at same time can drive for analog. One gets very clean digital data from the transmitter.  For DSTAR rcv data just take off rcvr discrementator.

          I build the repeaters to work in analog if have PL tone and DSTAR if not.  Some just want to do DSTAR which is ok, but I prefer both since 90% of users do not have DSTAR.  And a 100W cont duty VHF MSR2000 can be had for less than $200 and runs rings around any Ham vintage repeater.  Of course it weighting over 120 lb makes it little harder to put in place, hi.

          I am totally new to the RaspBerry Pi, but it looks like excellent choice for the PC end of things.  I am sure getting the DVRPTR going will be easy since looks like it was made for DSTAR and I have done Dutch Star board with PC so am somewhat familiar with these.

          Thanks again for the info.

          73, ron, n9ee/r

          Ron Wright, N9EE/R
          BSEE
          Micro Computer Concepts
          352-683-4476
          mccrpt@...

          To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
          CC: mccrpt@...
          From: john@...
          Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 12:04:01 -0800
          Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] DSTAR repeater with RaspBerry PI

          < !--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEndT|**|-~-->
          Hi Ron,

          Physically, it's wire the DVRPTR board to PTT, GND, Disc, Modulator on the MSR2000.  You probably have all of that mapped out for your current DSTAR on MSR2000.  The DVRPTR automatically adjusts for received signal level, but you will need to tweak the transmit level for 1.25+/- Khz deviation.  I like using a lot of snap-on ferrite chokes on all cables and you may want to faraday shield the Pi and DVRPTR depending on your RF environment.

          From the DVRPTR you will run USB to the Pi, preferably using a powered USB hub. (If you get a powered HUB you can also use it to power the Pi, preferably 2 AMP power supply).   (The DVRPTR will likely appear as /dev/ttyACM0)