Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] TNC-X for Raspberry Pi - The boards have arrived.

  • Kerry McKenzie
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 8 3:08 AM
      Hi John
      I think patience is part of this radio stuff we play with, as i have two
      units on order with you i count it as blessing as i have plenty of
      reading to do before they arrive.
      But I have to confess I am looking forward to building and setting these
      little guys up!

      Part Two....general to the group

      On that note i would still like to have a play with BPQ and FBB with
      this but I still have not been able to locate the software for the Pie.
      FBB I have no problem with configuration and been using it for years,
      but not sure if it will work on the Pie, while BPQ I undestand will work
      on the Pie however I have
      had no luck running it as a bbs on my windows platforms and gave it away
      after 4 months trying.

      So I feel like I am caught between a two systems, one I can not
      configure or understand, and the other I know well but may not work on
      the Pie and to date i have not
      contacted anyone who has?
      I do not know linux well enough to compile anything so I am very
      dependant on some who know linux to send out a how to, or step by step
      instructions to compile
      the FBB software.

      I would like to try BPQ again however there is a level of expectation
      with it that the installer should know what all the characters mean when
      configuring it up.
      And the same when setting up a forward file with other bbs's. And while
      I could just copy and paste but to me its just painting by numbers and i
      dont see the point
      of this if I do not understanding what I am doing.

      --
      Kind Regards
      Kerry McKenzie vk4tub
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 15 12:35 PM
        I will admit, my knowledge with Linux is not too great, but I'm making it through.

        I have 2 of the TNC-X's for the Pi. Reading through all the directions, it doesn't really say how you address one vs. the other when you are configuring things.

        Currently, I have my radio plugged into the serial port on the top TNC-X, and the yellow light lights up when data is heard. I edited the /etc/ax25/axports file as follows:

        1 KK4HOK-1 19200 236 2 TNC 1
        2 KK4HOK-2 19200 236 2 TNC 2

        I then was able to type 'sudo kissattach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1', and once I typed sudo axlisten -a, I was able to see packet data. However, when it did this, it seems that it took the pi off the network and I was no longer able to ssh into it, etc.

        I ultimately would like to run John's software on here - which I have downloaded - but want to make sure I'm doing the right things.

        I downloaded the 'params.zip' file, as suggested, but I am not sure which TNC it's actually reading these parameters from. Regardless of what number I use for 'b', I get the same output, and is as follows: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=NRsEhVFp

        I've pretty much stopped at this point, because I am unsure where to proceed.

        Thanks!

        Charles