RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] TNC-X for Raspberry Pi - The boards have arrived.

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 6, 2013
      A link to the TNC website has been posted.

      As to which model, it depends what you are going to do with it. For a remote packet node the Model A may be better - lower power consumption (and heat), and a bit cheaper.  If you are going to run a lot of software, especially with a GUI the extra memory on the B may be worth the extra cost, and if you need Ethernet or more than one USB port the B is the obvious choice. I have 3 old style model B's with 256 MB RAM, and rarely is the lack of RAM a problem, but I also have one Version 2 B with 512 MB,and a model A.

      73, John G8BPQ

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013

        Where was the link posted? also where are the latest linbpq and pibqq program versions posted? My time off from work was cut short and now there's a break and I have time to back to the hobby.

        Thanks

        Rick

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013

          On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Rick Nicholson <n9umj@...> wrote:

          Where was the link posted? also where are the latest linbpq and pibqq program versions posted? My time off from work was cut short and now there's a break and I have time to back to the hobby.

          Rick,

          The TNCPi page is at:

          Check the message archives on this group to see the mini-report I posted a couple of days ago on my progress with the TNCPi that I built.

          73,
          -jav k4jh

        • John Hansen
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013
            I'll let John (Wiseman) handle the bpq link.  Info the the TNC-Pi can be found at:  www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm.

            John W2FS

            John

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013
              Rick,

              Instuctions and links can be found at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/InstallingLINBPQ.htm

              73, John

[...]

            • William Liporace - WC2L
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013

                Same link I sent yesterday….

                If you are interested, see: www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm

                Will WC2L

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Hi John
                  I think patience is part of this radio stuff we play with, as i have two
                  units on order with you i count it as blessing as i have plenty of
                  reading to do before they arrive.
                  But I have to confess I am looking forward to building and setting these
                  little guys up!

                  Part Two....general to the group

                  On that note i would still like to have a play with BPQ and FBB with
                  this but I still have not been able to locate the software for the Pie.
                  FBB I have no problem with configuration and been using it for years,
                  but not sure if it will work on the Pie, while BPQ I undestand will work
                  on the Pie however I have
                  had no luck running it as a bbs on my windows platforms and gave it away
                  after 4 months trying.

                  So I feel like I am caught between a two systems, one I can not
                  configure or understand, and the other I know well but may not work on
                  the Pie and to date i have not
                  contacted anyone who has?
                  I do not know linux well enough to compile anything so I am very
                  dependant on some who know linux to send out a how to, or step by step
                  instructions to compile
                  the FBB software.

                  I would like to try BPQ again however there is a level of expectation
                  with it that the installer should know what all the characters mean when
                  configuring it up.
                  And the same when setting up a forward file with other bbs's. And while
                  I could just copy and paste but to me its just painting by numbers and i
                  dont see the point
                  of this if I do not understanding what I am doing.

                  --
                  Kind Regards
                  Kerry McKenzie vk4tub
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 15, 2013
                    I will admit, my knowledge with Linux is not too great, but I'm making it through.

                    I have 2 of the TNC-X's for the Pi. Reading through all the directions, it doesn't really say how you address one vs. the other when you are configuring things.

                    Currently, I have my radio plugged into the serial port on the top TNC-X, and the yellow light lights up when data is heard. I edited the /etc/ax25/axports file as follows:

                    1 KK4HOK-1 19200 236 2 TNC 1
                    2 KK4HOK-2 19200 236 2 TNC 2

                    I then was able to type 'sudo kissattach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1', and once I typed sudo axlisten -a, I was able to see packet data. However, when it did this, it seems that it took the pi off the network and I was no longer able to ssh into it, etc.

                    I ultimately would like to run John's software on here - which I have downloaded - but want to make sure I'm doing the right things.

                    I downloaded the 'params.zip' file, as suggested, but I am not sure which TNC it's actually reading these parameters from. Regardless of what number I use for 'b', I get the same output, and is as follows: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=NRsEhVFp

                    I've pretty much stopped at this point, because I am unsure where to proceed.

                    Thanks!

                    Charles