RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] TNC-X for Raspberry Pi - The boards have arrived.

  • William Liporace - WC2L
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 6 9:13 AM

      If you are interested, see: www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm

      Will WC2L

      Ar-cluster node dxc.wc2l.com

      From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of W2CTX
      Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:26 AM
      To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] TNC-X for Raspberry Pi - The boards have arrived.

      Are the TNC's available? I am very interested in getting 2 of them.  Also what version Rasp-pi

      is recommended? Do you take PayPAl?

      rOn

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 6 9:36 AM
        A link to the TNC website has been posted.

        As to which model, it depends what you are going to do with it. For a remote packet node the Model A may be better - lower power consumption (and heat), and a bit cheaper.  If you are going to run a lot of software, especially with a GUI the extra memory on the B may be worth the extra cost, and if you need Ethernet or more than one USB port the B is the obvious choice. I have 3 old style model B's with 256 MB RAM, and rarely is the lack of RAM a problem, but I also have one Version 2 B with 512 MB,and a model A.

        73, John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 7 8:00 AM

          Where was the link posted? also where are the latest linbpq and pibqq program versions posted? My time off from work was cut short and now there's a break and I have time to back to the hobby.

          Thanks

          Rick

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7 8:03 AM

            On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Rick Nicholson <n9umj@...> wrote:

            Where was the link posted? also where are the latest linbpq and pibqq program versions posted? My time off from work was cut short and now there's a break and I have time to back to the hobby.

            Rick,

            The TNCPi page is at:

            Check the message archives on this group to see the mini-report I posted a couple of days ago on my progress with the TNCPi that I built.

            73,
            -jav k4jh

          • John Hansen
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7 8:09 AM
              I'll let John (Wiseman) handle the bpq link.  Info the the TNC-Pi can be found at:  www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm.

              John W2FS

              John

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 7 8:16 AM
                Rick,

                Instuctions and links can be found at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/InstallingLINBPQ.htm

                73, John

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 7 8:17 AM

                  Same link I sent yesterday….

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 8 3:08 AM
                    Hi John
                    I think patience is part of this radio stuff we play with, as i have two
                    units on order with you i count it as blessing as i have plenty of
                    reading to do before they arrive.
                    But I have to confess I am looking forward to building and setting these
                    little guys up!

                    Part Two....general to the group

                    On that note i would still like to have a play with BPQ and FBB with
                    this but I still have not been able to locate the software for the Pie.
                    FBB I have no problem with configuration and been using it for years,
                    but not sure if it will work on the Pie, while BPQ I undestand will work
                    on the Pie however I have
                    had no luck running it as a bbs on my windows platforms and gave it away
                    after 4 months trying.

                    So I feel like I am caught between a two systems, one I can not
                    configure or understand, and the other I know well but may not work on
                    the Pie and to date i have not
                    contacted anyone who has?
                    I do not know linux well enough to compile anything so I am very
                    dependant on some who know linux to send out a how to, or step by step
                    instructions to compile
                    the FBB software.

                    I would like to try BPQ again however there is a level of expectation
                    with it that the installer should know what all the characters mean when
                    configuring it up.
                    And the same when setting up a forward file with other bbs's. And while
                    I could just copy and paste but to me its just painting by numbers and i
                    dont see the point
                    of this if I do not understanding what I am doing.

                    --
                    Kind Regards
                    Kerry McKenzie vk4tub
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 15 12:35 PM
                      I will admit, my knowledge with Linux is not too great, but I'm making it through.

                      I have 2 of the TNC-X's for the Pi. Reading through all the directions, it doesn't really say how you address one vs. the other when you are configuring things.

                      Currently, I have my radio plugged into the serial port on the top TNC-X, and the yellow light lights up when data is heard. I edited the /etc/ax25/axports file as follows:

                      1 KK4HOK-1 19200 236 2 TNC 1
                      2 KK4HOK-2 19200 236 2 TNC 2

                      I then was able to type 'sudo kissattach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1', and once I typed sudo axlisten -a, I was able to see packet data. However, when it did this, it seems that it took the pi off the network and I was no longer able to ssh into it, etc.

                      I ultimately would like to run John's software on here - which I have downloaded - but want to make sure I'm doing the right things.

                      I downloaded the 'params.zip' file, as suggested, but I am not sure which TNC it's actually reading these parameters from. Regardless of what number I use for 'b', I get the same output, and is as follows: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=NRsEhVFp

                      I've pretty much stopped at this point, because I am unsure where to proceed.

                      Thanks!

                      Charles