Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Adventure of the Day #1

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
      1: Since your going to write an IMAGE file to the sdcard there is NO NEED to have it
      formatted/partitioned. Actually it will work fine/better with no partitioning/formatting. The image
      file contains the partitioning info.

      1a: card should be UNMOUNTED before writing image.

      2: Some computers, (older laptops in particular) don't/can't write the larger sd/microsd cards
      correctly, if this happens, it usually won't boot which is probably the best failure mode as
      compared to booting to a corrupted card.

      3: Note that the win32imager.exe program has difficulty with drive letters in win 7, don't trust
      it.. make sure you unmount/remove all other removeable drives first before running this program to
      prevent it over-writing them. I recommend copying the image file to your internal C drive and then
      running the win32imager program.

      4: note all the images tend to be relatively small, running raspi-config or other provided utility /
      follow image instructions on 1st boot to expand image to fill card.

      5: Pi only boots from sdcard.
      1st partition must be fat - usually very small, 16 - 59MB.
      2nd partition is usually linux ext4 which is booted from the fat partition. this partition will
      need to be expanded to fill sdcard. Can be done 2 ways, thru raspi-config, or gparted resize
      command, other OSes may have a different method.

      -Jim-

      On 2/22/13 6:15 PM, John wrote:
      > The day started out well. The second Raspberry Pi that I ordered on the 19th from Adafruit came today (the 22nd) so I thought I would get it online. I took a brand new 8G Kingston sd out and started to load it. The image program balked, saying that the card was locked. Try the other Win 7 machne, same thing! Google coughs up a lengthy todo list. http://oddsnsods.net/blog/?p=100 looked scarey but promising. All these years and I never saw a command line disk partition program before today. I deleted the partition in the sd card as instructed and went back to the disk image program. Now it says the image won't fit on the 8G sd card. OK, I am no stranger to trouble, I will restore the format on the sd card and work up a plan for the next step. Uh-Oh! The windows format command says it cannot do the format. So here I am reporting back. Some where there is a special format program for sd cards, I need to find it.
      > Next, I suspect th image sved was a complete image and not just the install programs. The empty locations were probably included in the dump. I also suspect the Dump-restore was done by Linux and it is more efficient with the sd card.
      > That is the story for today.
      > I doubt I am ready to build that image from the insructions...YET.
      > de John W8CCW

    • John Ferrell
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
        My card was an easy fix with the format program here:
        https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
        I have since loaded it with the image of "Occidentalis v0.1." from ADAFRUIT.
        It has updated and upgraded.

        On 2/22/2013 8:09 PM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:

        John
        i am in the same boat as you, i managed to turn my 32gig sd into a 53meg
        sd card.
        I am still trying to find some software to get it back to something that
        I can use again ,...it was not cheap
        so i hope i haven't frontal lobotomized it for good!!

        If I find some software that will fix it and restore my 32gigs i will
        post it here as I am sure we wont be the last ones that this will happen to.
        Kerry

        --
        Kind Regards
        Kerry McKenzie

        Mobile 041 971 4876

        PO Box 4492
        Kirwan QLD 4817
        Australia

        --
        John Ferrell W8CCW
        That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

      • John Ferrell
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
          The CustomPi image was a little bigger than my Kingston 8G card would hold. It seems to be working OK with the ADAFRUIT image. I wanted both of these anyway. I bought a 16G  SD to use with the CustomPI image.
          My motive for the post was to try to get others to share their misadventures. By sharing, we don't have to all experience the same problems.

          On 2/22/2013 8:30 PM, John D. Hays wrote:

          "To use an image file, you will need to unzip it and write it to a suitable SD card using the UNIX tool dd. Windows users should use Win32DiskImager. Do not try to drag and drop or otherwise copy over the image without using dd or Win32DiskImager – it won’t work. If you’re still not clear on what to do, the community on the Raspberry Pi Wiki has written aguide for beginners on how to set up your SD card." == http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
            Glad it helped out!
            On 2/22/2013 8:32 PM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:

            John
            that little link you sent out ....just tried it and works a treat, I
            have now unbricked my 32gig SD card there is a bit more to it after you
            unbrick it using the manage function in windows 7 but can cover this
            later as i should be working and not sitting on here and having lots of
            fun doing Rasperry PI stuff and replying to this list..:-))...ha ha will
            come back tonight and give you the instructions if you havent already
            worked it out
            regards Kerry

            --
            Kind Regards
            Kerry McKenzie

            Mobile 041 971 4876

            PO Box 4492
            Kirwan QLD 4817
            Australia

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
              Adrian put it up on his site:
              http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/Cpi/

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                diskpart offered a message and quit.

                On 2/22/2013 10:32 PM, Adrian wrote:

                You can use diskpart under windows to recover or use

                http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_ARM_Installer

                Yes there is a windows version;

                Windows Vista & 7
                        Zip File

                1. Click on the link above
                2. Right click on the file and select "Extract All..."
                3. Open the extracted folder
                4. Right click on the program and select "Run as administrator"
                5. When you load a image it auto cleans the SD card first.

                --
                John Ferrell W8CCW
                That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
                P.C. HODGELL

              • Brian GW6WTK