Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Problem with Rspbarry

  • Bill Vodall
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
      On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM, John <john@...> wrote:

      > Buy a new SD card -- -- some last a long time, some go quickly. If you are running
      > a program that writes to "disk" regularly (e.g. logs, databases, etc.) they
      > will go quicker.

      Hopefully this is a silly question - but are the running Linux from
      Flash good practices, like 'noatime' being followed?

      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/linux-on-flash.html

      I would expect a CF card to last a long time unless something really
      silly is done like writing a test loop that gets stuck writing
      thousands to times to one location - guess how I know about that
      one...

      Bill, WA7NWP
    • Ik7ytq
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
        Thanks for the replies, I've tried multiple cards and different qualities.

        I would try to change power supply and in any case I'm using a 2 Amp Waiting for more tips thank you for your attention.

        73 de ik7ytq

        Inviato da iPhone

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
          one common cause is the power source feeding the Pi board is not (staying) within USB spec of 5.0
          +/- .25 Vdc.

          I have found the Pi will run down to about 4.2Vdc, but the card may get corrupted, and or the Pi may
          halt/hang.

          Note you can use dd to make a backup image of the card using another linux machine. Then you can
          possibly mount 1 or both of the partitions from the image file and possibly recover most of your files.

          -Jim-

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
            Please define 'some go quick', ? days, hours, weeks ?

            I've been running for several months, haven't failed a card yet. Sandisk, microSD, class 4..., 16GB

            next will be, class 10 cards for the SPEED.

            -Jim-

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
              just because the power supply is named/labeled 5 vdc 2 amps doesn't mean it will actually do it.
              I've found many wall warts cant actually maintain 5 volts when the current draw is above 1/2 amp.
              Best thing is to measure the voltage on the Pi board CAREFULLY.

              Note also that some hubs have a significant voltage drop through them, might be 5.1 going in, but
              only 4.5 coming out.

              It pays to use a good volt meter.

              -Jim-