Re: Adventure of the Day #1

  • Kerry McKenzie
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
      i am in the same boat as you, i managed to turn my 32gig sd into a 53meg
      sd card.
      I am still trying to find some software to get it back to something that
      I can use again ,...it was not cheap
      so i hope i haven't frontal lobotomized it for good!!

      If I find some software that will fix it and restore my 32gigs i will
      post it here as I am sure we wont be the last ones that this will happen to.
      Kerry

      --
      Kind Regards
      Kerry McKenzie

      Mobile 041 971 4876

      PO Box 4492
      Kirwan QLD 4817
      Australia
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
        "To use an image file, you will need to unzip it and write it to a suitable SD card using the UNIX tool dd. Windows users should use Win32DiskImager. Do not try to drag and drop or otherwise copy over the image without using dd or Win32DiskImager – it won’t work. If you’re still not clear on what to do, the community on the Raspberry Pi Wiki has written aguide for beginners on how to set up your SD card." == http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

        On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM, John <jferrell13@...> wrote:

        The day started out well. The second Raspberry Pi that I ordered on the 19th from Adafruit came today (the 22nd) so I thought I would get it online. I took a brand new 8G Kingston sd out and started to load it. The image program balked, saying that the card was locked. Try the other Win 7 machne, same thing! Google coughs up a lengthy todo list. http://oddsnsods.net/blog/?p=100 looked scarey but promising. All these years and I never saw a command line disk partition program before today. I deleted the partition in the sd card as instructed and went back to the disk image program. Now it says the image won't fit on the 8G sd card. OK, I am no stranger to trouble, I will restore the format on the sd card and work up a plan for the next step. Uh-Oh! The windows format command says it cannot do the format. So here I am reporting back. Some where there is a special format program for sd cards, I need to find it.
        Next, I suspect th image sved was a complete image and not just the install programs. The empty locations were probably included in the dump. I also suspect the Dump-restore was done by Linux and it is more efficient with the sd card.
        That is the story for today.
        I doubt I am ready to build that image from the insructions...YET.
        de John W8CCW

      • Kerry McKenzie
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
          that little link you sent out ....just tried it and works a treat, I
          have now unbricked my 32gig SD card there is a bit more to it after you
          unbrick it using the manage function in windows 7 but can cover this
          later as i should be working and not sitting on here and having lots of
          fun doing Rasperry PI stuff and replying to this list..:-))...ha ha will
          come back tonight and give you the instructions if you havent already
          worked it out
          regards Kerry

          --
          Kind Regards
          Kerry McKenzie

          Mobile 041 971 4876

          PO Box 4492
          Kirwan QLD 4817
          Australia
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
            When you write the image using WIndows the disk APPEARS to be 53 Megs. The image has two partitions, a smaill one that Windows can see, and the rest which is only accessible once you boot the PI.

            John GBPQ

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
              On 23/02/13 14:02, Dennis Nelson wrote:

              One question for you, where did you get the image? I found that the archLinuxArm from element14 was corrupt and wouldn't boot. Of course
              if the card is bad(does happen), try getting a replacement. I've had better luck with the sandisk cards.

[...]

              .

              http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

              Ray vk2tv
            • Ray Wells
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                On 23/02/13 14:32, Adrian wrote:

                You can use diskpart under windows to recover or use

                http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_ARM_Installer

                Yes there is a windows version;

                Windows Vista & 7
                        Zip File

                1. Click on the link above
                2. Right click on the file and select "Extract All..."
                3. Open the extracted folder
                4. Right click on the program and select "Run as administrator"
                5. When you load a image it auto cleans the SD card first.
                _
                The Linux partitioner gparted can do some wonderful things with "disks" and it's user friendly.

                There exists a CDROM iso image that boots into Linux to run gparted.

                I've previously used Partition Magic on Windoze machines but gparted walks all over it.

                Ray vk2tv
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                  1: Since your going to write an IMAGE file to the sdcard there is NO NEED to have it
                  formatted/partitioned. Actually it will work fine/better with no partitioning/formatting. The image
                  file contains the partitioning info.

                  1a: card should be UNMOUNTED before writing image.

                  2: Some computers, (older laptops in particular) don't/can't write the larger sd/microsd cards
                  correctly, if this happens, it usually won't boot which is probably the best failure mode as
                  compared to booting to a corrupted card.

                  3: Note that the win32imager.exe program has difficulty with drive letters in win 7, don't trust
                  it.. make sure you unmount/remove all other removeable drives first before running this program to
                  prevent it over-writing them. I recommend copying the image file to your internal C drive and then
                  running the win32imager program.

                  4: note all the images tend to be relatively small, running raspi-config or other provided utility /
                  follow image instructions on 1st boot to expand image to fill card.

                  5: Pi only boots from sdcard.
                  1st partition must be fat - usually very small, 16 - 59MB.
                  2nd partition is usually linux ext4 which is booted from the fat partition. this partition will
                  need to be expanded to fill sdcard. Can be done 2 ways, thru raspi-config, or gparted resize
                  command, other OSes may have a different method.

                  -Jim-

                  On 2/22/13 6:15 PM, John wrote:
                  > The day started out well. The second Raspberry Pi that I ordered on the 19th from Adafruit came today (the 22nd) so I thought I would get it online. I took a brand new 8G Kingston sd out and started to load it. The image program balked, saying that the card was locked. Try the other Win 7 machne, same thing! Google coughs up a lengthy todo list. http://oddsnsods.net/blog/?p=100 looked scarey but promising. All these years and I never saw a command line disk partition program before today. I deleted the partition in the sd card as instructed and went back to the disk image program. Now it says the image won't fit on the 8G sd card. OK, I am no stranger to trouble, I will restore the format on the sd card and work up a plan for the next step. Uh-Oh! The windows format command says it cannot do the format. So here I am reporting back. Some where there is a special format program for sd cards, I need to find it.
                  > Next, I suspect th image sved was a complete image and not just the install programs. The empty locations were probably included in the dump. I also suspect the Dump-restore was done by Linux and it is more efficient with the sd card.
                  > That is the story for today.
                  > I doubt I am ready to build that image from the insructions...YET.
                  > de John W8CCW

                • John Ferrell
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                    My card was an easy fix with the format program here:
                    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
                    I have since loaded it with the image of "Occidentalis v0.1." from ADAFRUIT.
                    It has updated and upgraded.

                    On 2/22/2013 8:09 PM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:

                    John
                    i am in the same boat as you, i managed to turn my 32gig sd into a 53meg
                    sd card.
                    I am still trying to find some software to get it back to something that
                    I can use again ,...it was not cheap
                    so i hope i haven't frontal lobotomized it for good!!

                    If I find some software that will fix it and restore my 32gigs i will
                    post it here as I am sure we wont be the last ones that this will happen to.
                    Kerry

                    --
                    Kind Regards
                    Kerry McKenzie

                    Mobile 041 971 4876

                    PO Box 4492
                    Kirwan QLD 4817
                    Australia

                    --
                    John Ferrell W8CCW
                    That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

                  • John Ferrell

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                          Adrian put it up on his site:
                          http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/Cpi/