Pulling up and RDP session in Windows and the Rasberry PI

  • Kerry McKenzie
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2013
      Greeting all
      First I am sorry for assuming that everyone knows about the windows side
      of RDP.
      I am a Rasberry Newby and I am also one week into Linux so I am
      certainly no expert and hardly make even a beginner, however I have been
      doing pc stuff since the first XT came out gods knows when.
      And I wrongly assumed that most of us on this forum were windows savey
      and rasberry PI poor as I am very much the latter.

      I digress slight however pertinent to this discussion that using the
      old terms back in the days of Dos were there was no GUI's and
      everything was done from a command line
      When the GUI appeared in windows from that point on everyone in order to
      do dos stuff if you were using windows had to pull up a dos window to
      get the command prompt.
      So as time progressed people used the GUI more and more and the art of
      command line became less and less.

      Since we have already covered how to get remote desktop enabled in the
      Rasberry PI and I will paste it in here so save anyone not sure where
      this all started from....can at least get on the right page.

      > Greetings all and great to be on this list.
      > I am a total newby to the Rasberry PI having no linux backround at all
      > and have a working RPI for only 10 days.
      > I now have mine playing Minecraft and I am able to RDP into it from my
      > windows 7 box upstairs
      > Ok here what I eventually found what to do
      >
      > Step One....
      > Fire up your PI and open a terminal window
      > Step Two...
      > from the prompt type the following
      >
      > sudo apt-get update
      >
      > and let it do its thing
      > Step Three
      > from the prompt type the following
      >
      > sudo apt-get install xrdp
      >
      > and let it do its thing
      > Reboot your RPI
      >
      > Now go to your windows box and pull up a rdp session
      > Type in the IP address of your PI
      > default is 192.168.0.10
      >
      > You will get a login screen
      > Default Login for the RPI is "PI"
      > and enter the password that you used on the inital setup
      > and thats it.......enjoy

      Now lets cross to the dark side and open an RDP session in windows so we
      can see the Rasberry PI's desktop on our windows box.

      I do everything here with RDP as all my pc stuff is in a rack mount down
      stairs and because I live 19 degrees from the equator it is pretty
      hot right now and steamy as we are in the midst of our wet session.
      My work station is in a much nicer and cooler surround and so i use RDP
      to to talk to my packet radio BBS and webserver plus the file
      server and now also my Rasberry PI all from my cooler workstation.

      Right lets get on with it....

      to pull up and RDP session in windows do the following
      click start
      then program
      then accessories
      look down the list and you will find "Remote Desktop Connection"
      in windows 7 if you right click on it you are able to send it as a short
      cut to your desktop
      OK thats the long way using your GUI
      part two another option and my preferred
      click start
      then click run
      In the box type the following mstsc and press enter
      (what you have just selected from a command prompt is Microsoft Terminal
      Services)
      This will open up and RDP session on your windows desktop ready to
      connect to a remote computer
      and for the Dos boffin the quickest way to get to an RDP

      Ok last way to do it is from your command prompt (to get that click
      start and in windows 7 you get the search box, just type in there cmd
      and this will give you
      the black box where in the old dos days thats all we had. Anyway in the
      black box just type the same mstsc and press enter, this will lunch a
      terminal service ready for you to just type in
      the ip address of your raspberry pi and the rest is covered above

      Ok this now covers both sides of Remote Desk toping both the Rasberry PI
      and a windows box part two is the best for me but you may prefer other
      ways....enjoy!

      --
      Kind Regards
      Kerry McKenzie

      Australia
    • Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2013
        Don't worry about your inaccurate assumption. We all so it sometime.

        Many of us here are running Linux and do not have a Windows box available.
        Whilst anybody can switch to Linux for, relatively, free to try something, doing the same with Windows requires a
        payment of a couple of hundred dollars.

        >>First I am sorry for assuming that everyone knows about the windows side of RDP.

        Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
        Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
        Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP Club International #385,
        Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.