Adventure of the Day #1

  • John
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
      The day started out well. The second Raspberry Pi that I ordered on the 19th from Adafruit came today (the 22nd) so I thought I would get it online. I took a brand new 8G Kingston sd out and started to load it. The image program balked, saying that the card was locked. Try the other Win 7 machne, same thing! Google coughs up a lengthy todo list. http://oddsnsods.net/blog/?p=100 looked scarey but promising. All these years and I never saw a command line disk partition program before today. I deleted the partition in the sd card as instructed and went back to the disk image program. Now it says the image won't fit on the 8G sd card. OK, I am no stranger to trouble, I will restore the format on the sd card and work up a plan for the next step. Uh-Oh! The windows format command says it cannot do the format. So here I am reporting back. Some where there is a special format program for sd cards, I need to find it.
      Next, I suspect th image sved was a complete image and not just the install programs. The empty locations were probably included in the dump. I also suspect the Dump-restore was done by Linux and it is more efficient with the sd card.
      That is the story for today.
      I doubt I am ready to build that image from the insructions...YET.
      de John W8CCW
    • Kerry McKenzie
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
        i am in the same boat as you, i managed to turn my 32gig sd into a 53meg
        sd card.
        I am still trying to find some software to get it back to something that
        I can use again ,...it was not cheap
        so i hope i haven't frontal lobotomized it for good!!

        If I find some software that will fix it and restore my 32gigs i will
        post it here as I am sure we wont be the last ones that this will happen to.
        Kerry

        --
        Kind Regards
        Kerry McKenzie

        Mobile 041 971 4876

        PO Box 4492
        Kirwan QLD 4817
        Australia

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
            that little link you sent out ....just tried it and works a treat, I
            have now unbricked my 32gig SD card there is a bit more to it after you
            unbrick it using the manage function in windows 7 but can cover this
            later as i should be working and not sitting on here and having lots of
            fun doing Rasperry PI stuff and replying to this list..:-))...ha ha will
            come back tonight and give you the instructions if you havent already
            worked it out
            regards Kerry

            --
            Kind Regards
            Kerry McKenzie

            Mobile 041 971 4876

            PO Box 4492
            Kirwan QLD 4817
            Australia
          • Dennis Nelson
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
              One question for you, where did you get the image? I found that the archLinuxArm from element14 was corrupt and wouldn't boot. Of course
              if the card is bad(does happen), try getting a replacement. I've had better luck with the sandisk cards.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
                You can use diskpart under windows to recover or use

                http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_ARM_Installer

                Yes there is a windows version;

                Windows Vista & 7
                        Zip File

                1. Click on the link above
                2. Right click on the file and select "Extract All..."
                3. Open the extracted folder
                4. Right click on the program and select "Run as administrator"
                5. When you load a image it auto cleans the SD card first.
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                  When you write the image using WIndows the disk APPEARS to be 53 Megs. The image has two partitions, a smaill one that Windows can see, and the rest which is only accessible once you boot the PI.

                  John GBPQ

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                    On 23/02/13 14:02, Dennis Nelson wrote:

[...]

                    .

                    http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

                    Ray vk2tv
                  • Ray Wells
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                      On 23/02/13 14:32, Adrian wrote:

                      You can use diskpart under windows to recover or use

                      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_ARM_Installer

                      Yes there is a windows version;

                      Windows Vista & 7
                              Zip File

                      1. Click on the link above
                      2. Right click on the file and select "Extract All..."
                      3. Open the extracted folder
                      4. Right click on the program and select "Run as administrator"
                      5. When you load a image it auto cleans the SD card first.
                      _
                      The Linux partitioner gparted can do some wonderful things with "disks" and it's user friendly.

                      There exists a CDROM iso image that boots into Linux to run gparted.

                      I've previously used Partition Magic on Windoze machines but gparted walks all over it.

                      Ray vk2tv
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                        1: Since your going to write an IMAGE file to the sdcard there is NO NEED to have it
                        formatted/partitioned. Actually it will work fine/better with no partitioning/formatting. The image
                        file contains the partitioning info.

                        1a: card should be UNMOUNTED before writing image.

                        2: Some computers, (older laptops in particular) don't/can't write the larger sd/microsd cards
                        correctly, if this happens, it usually won't boot which is probably the best failure mode as
                        compared to booting to a corrupted card.

                        3: Note that the win32imager.exe program has difficulty with drive letters in win 7, don't trust
                        it.. make sure you unmount/remove all other removeable drives first before running this program to
                        prevent it over-writing them. I recommend copying the image file to your internal C drive and then
                        running the win32imager program.

                        4: note all the images tend to be relatively small, running raspi-config or other provided utility /
                        follow image instructions on 1st boot to expand image to fill card.

                        5: Pi only boots from sdcard.
                        1st partition must be fat - usually very small, 16 - 59MB.
                        2nd partition is usually linux ext4 which is booted from the fat partition. this partition will
                        need to be expanded to fill sdcard. Can be done 2 ways, thru raspi-config, or gparted resize
                        command, other OSes may have a different method.

                        -Jim-

                        On 2/22/13 6:15 PM, John wrote:
                        > The day started out well. The second Raspberry Pi that I ordered on the 19th from Adafruit came today (the 22nd) so I thought I would get it online. I took a brand new 8G Kingston sd out and started to load it. The image program balked, saying that the card was locked. Try the other Win 7 machne, same thing! Google coughs up a lengthy todo list. http://oddsnsods.net/blog/?p=100 looked scarey but promising. All these years and I never saw a command line disk partition program before today. I deleted the partition in the sd card as instructed and went back to the disk image program. Now it says the image won't fit on the 8G sd card. OK, I am no stranger to trouble, I will restore the format on the sd card and work up a plan for the next step. Uh-Oh! The windows format command says it cannot do the format. So here I am reporting back. Some where there is a special format program for sd cards, I need to find it.
                        > Next, I suspect th image sved was a complete image and not just the install programs. The empty locations were probably included in the dump. I also suspect the Dump-restore was done by Linux and it is more efficient with the sd card.
                        > That is the story for today.
                        > I doubt I am ready to build that image from the insructions...YET.
                        > de John W8CCW

                      • John Ferrell
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                          My card was an easy fix with the format program here:
                          https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
                          I have since loaded it with the image of "Occidentalis v0.1." from ADAFRUIT.
                          It has updated and upgraded.

                          On 2/22/2013 8:09 PM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:

                          John
                          i am in the same boat as you, i managed to turn my 32gig sd into a 53meg
                          sd card.
                          I am still trying to find some software to get it back to something that
                          I can use again ,...it was not cheap
                          so i hope i haven't frontal lobotomized it for good!!

                          If I find some software that will fix it and restore my 32gigs i will
                          post it here as I am sure we wont be the last ones that this will happen to.
                          Kerry

                          --
                          Kind Regards
                          Kerry McKenzie

                          Mobile 041 971 4876

                          PO Box 4492
                          Kirwan QLD 4817
                          Australia

                          --
                          John Ferrell W8CCW
                          That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

                        • John Ferrell

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                                Adrian put it up on his site:
                                http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/Cpi/