RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Problem with Rspbarry

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013

      My raspberry after a few hours of operation I understood that the SD card is corrupted and crashes. how can I fix this?

      Thanks for the help ik7ytq Luigi

      Inviato da iPad

      Buying a good quality type 10 card 8GB minimum (32GB or 64GB  recommended is well worthwhile, and reload the image.

      Also make sure your usb port is powered externally. Try not to draw power from the Rpi for USB..

      Adrian … vk4tux

    • Kerry McKenzie
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
        Luigi Ik7ytq wrote:

        My raspberry after a few hours of operation I understood that the SD card is corrupted and crashes. how can I fix this?

        Thanks for the help ik7ytq Luigi

        Inviato da iPad

        greeting Luigi and the group

        I had this in the very beginning and found two possible problems.
        The first is to change your power supply to at least 1 amp   (old phone charger HTC)  to connect straight to the RPI
        I also use a 2 amp powered  4 port hub connected to one of my usb ports and this works a treat
        as no possible power problems anymore

        Ok next possible problem is the speed of your SD card as i started with a class 2 card which crashed often
        i have now switched to a class 10 card Sandisk and never had another crash since

        Hope this is of help to you Luigi...... cheers Kerry

        --
        Kind Regards
        Kerry McKenzie

        Mobile 041 971 4876

        PO Box 4492
        Kirwan QLD 4817
        Australia
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
          Buy a new SD card (a few in fact, make multiple copies of OS and applications) -- some last a long time, some go quickly.  If you are running a program that writes to "disk" regularly (e.g. logs, databases, etc.) they will go quicker.

          On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Luigi Ik7ytq <ik7ytq@...> wrote:

          My raspberry after a few hours of operation I understood that the SD card is corrupted and crashes. how can I fix this?

          Thanks for the help ik7ytq Luigi

          Inviato da iPad

        • Bill Vodall
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
            On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM, John <john@...> wrote:

            > Buy a new SD card -- -- some last a long time, some go quickly. If you are running
            > a program that writes to "disk" regularly (e.g. logs, databases, etc.) they
            > will go quicker.

            Hopefully this is a silly question - but are the running Linux from
            Flash good practices, like 'noatime' being followed?

            http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/linux-on-flash.html

            I would expect a CF card to last a long time unless something really
            silly is done like writing a test loop that gets stuck writing
            thousands to times to one location - guess how I know about that
            one...

            Bill, WA7NWP
          • Ik7ytq
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
              Thanks for the replies, I've tried multiple cards and different qualities.

              I would try to change power supply and in any case I'm using a 2 Amp Waiting for more tips thank you for your attention.

              73 de ik7ytq

              Inviato da iPhone

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
                one common cause is the power source feeding the Pi board is not (staying) within USB spec of 5.0
                +/- .25 Vdc.

                I have found the Pi will run down to about 4.2Vdc, but the card may get corrupted, and or the Pi may
                halt/hang.

                Note you can use dd to make a backup image of the card using another linux machine. Then you can
                possibly mount 1 or both of the partitions from the image file and possibly recover most of your files.

                -Jim-

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
                  Please define 'some go quick', ? days, hours, weeks ?

                  I've been running for several months, haven't failed a card yet. Sandisk, microSD, class 4..., 16GB

                  next will be, class 10 cards for the SPEED.

                  -Jim-

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
                    just because the power supply is named/labeled 5 vdc 2 amps doesn't mean it will actually do it.
                    I've found many wall warts cant actually maintain 5 volts when the current draw is above 1/2 amp.
                    Best thing is to measure the voltage on the Pi board CAREFULLY.

                    Note also that some hubs have a significant voltage drop through them, might be 5.1 going in, but
                    only 4.5 coming out.

                    It pays to use a good volt meter.

                    -Jim-