Another small snipet of info that might save you a bundle

  • Kerry McKenzie
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2013
      Greetings all
      when searching out all things Rasberry PI, I quickly discovered that
      all things are not equal when using google

      Being in Australia my default browser windows explorer will default to
      google .com.au and as a result the searches for all things rasberry pi
      including retail purchases
      are redirected back locally in Australia. in other words I am not
      getting a true search, and found this to be the same for google hongkong
      and google uk etc etc.

      To get around this is a simple matter of going into tools and in the
      drop down menu at the very bottom is internet options
      When you click on this if you are using google as you default screen as
      i am,... you will see the google url and i will guess and say that it
      will automatically be defaulting to your home country.

      If you change this to the country that you wish to search out of it will
      look like the following

      http://www.google.com/hk this is for Hongkong

      http://www.google.co.jp/ this is to search out of Japan

      http://www.google.co.nz/ this is to search out of New Zealand

      Now what the hell is he on about you might wonder??? however the
      advantage is that google will favour the local area
      as they get paid advertising revenue to do this.

      Here is a good example of just how you can save heaps by serarching the
      correct area rather than be rounded up like cattle into where google wants
      you to go.

      my wife was looking for a lounge suite and did the usual google search
      and found one in our local area for $1800.
      I got her to type in http://google.com/ncr and type in the same company
      where she had found the lounge suite only to find
      the exact same thing from the same company chain down in Brisbane for $1300
      We then contacted a freight company and could get it shipped to our door
      for $150 so even with the freight taken out she still
      saved herself $350 just by searching out of here country but the
      redirect went to Brisbane and not Townsville.
      The lesson is that the company chain will not sell the same product for
      the same price across Australia

      my searches for accessories for my Rasberry PI worked very much the same
      way and i brought items out of china freight free
      for a quarter of what it was going to cost me to buy the same thing from
      the USA
      I also search out of google Hongkong a lot and get some fantastic deals
      that i would have otherwise missed out on.

      So the moral of this is search out of different countries when looking
      for your PI accessories and save yourself quite a bit of money
      and time doing so,... as you can get pretty much anything.

      So beware google is not google @ww
      the closest google@ww I could find is in the usa and that is to search
      using http://www.google.com/ncr however it is not perfect either!

      I hope this might help you find that Rasberry accessory faster and cheaper

      --
      Kind Regards
      Kerry McKenzie

      Mobile 041 971 4876

      PO Box 4492
      Kirwan QLD 4817
      Australia
    • Ronny Julian
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2013
        A Google executive was not amused at the "Drop Bear" joke.  I'll get them!
        No really you nailed this.  It is the same with most ad driven sites.  Airline sites are the worst.  Use a VPN tunnel to make yourself appear to be coming from a US or UK IP address and see what changes in some.
        Ronny
        K4RJJ

      • John Ferrell
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 23, 2013
          The "hk" would would not resolve a dns for me. The Japan version worked.

          On 2/22/2013 10:08 PM, Ronny Julian wrote:

[...]

          John Ferrell W8CCW
          That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
          P.C. HODGELL

        • Kerry McKenzie
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
            Greetings all
            just some examples check out the CQ ham radio shop in Hong Kong and
            compare the prices, they will ship anywhere in the world

            http://www.cqshophk.com/

            --
            Kind Regards
            Kerry McKenzie