Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI

  • Rick Simpson
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
      You were doing great until you got to "Now go to your windows box and pull up a rdp session". What is an RDP session on Windows? Where do you get it?

      K3IND

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
        On 13-02-22 11:29 AM, jj wrote:

        On 13-02-22 07:37 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
        > Step Two...
        > from the prompt type the following
        >
        > sudo apt-get update
        >
        > and let it do its thing
        That will as far as I know, only update the package list, you need
        to also tell it to upgrade "sudo apt-get upgrade" to d/l and install
        pkgs up-to-date..

        apt-get man page: "http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get"....some good stuff to know, hi hi!

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
          The command your looking for is sudo apt-get install -y tightvncserver

          jj <ve1jot@...> wrote:

          On 13-02-22 11:29 AM, jj wrote:

          On 13-02-22 07:37 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
          > Step Two...
          > from the prompt type the following
          >
          > sudo apt-get update
          >
          > and let it do its thing
          That will as far as I know, only update the package list, you need
          to also tell it to upgrade "sudo apt-get upgrade" to d/l and install
          pkgs up-to-date..

          apt-get man page: "http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get"....some good stuff to know, hi hi!

        • Dave B
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
            On 22 Feb 2013 at 15:39, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yaho wrote:

            > There are 6 messages in this issue.
            >
            > Topics in this digest:
            >
            > 1a. How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
            > From: Kerry McKenzie
            > 1b. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
            > From: Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
            > 1c. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
            > From: John Ferrell
            > 1d. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
            > From: Kerry McKenzie
            > 1e. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
            > From: jj

            All a bit long winded I suspect, though it obviously works...

            I seem to remember using the Pi'd version of VNC server, and a VNC viewer
            on my Windows box. Much less hassle. Forget where I got the server app
            from, the Repository I suspect, as I knew even less then than I do now.

            That and a PuTTy SSH session or two also running, and it's just like
            sitting in front of a "real" Debian box!

            There are some nice and low cost self contained HDMI to VGA converters
            available too now, for a Tenner (£10 UKP) you can have a decent screen.
            Everyone seems to have at least one surplus VGA display kicking about,
            but HDMI stuff is either non existant or reserverd for watching East
            Enders (or someother crud.)

            Some initial SSH tweaking of a config file is needed at first with the
            Debian OS's to get the settings "just right". The original Fedora remix
            distro, just worked with it straight out of the box. Impressive.

            Cheers.

            Dave G0WBX.
          • John
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
              Remote Desk top connection is about the seventh item down in the acessories folder in the Programs panel on my Win 7 Machine. You get to the Programs panel by clicking on the Start button in the bottom left corner.

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

              > You were doing great until you got to "Now go to your windows box and pull up a rdp session". What is an RDP session on Windows? Where do you get it?
              >
              > K3IND

            • Brian
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kerry McKenzie <kermck@...> wrote:

                > Greetings all and great to be on this list.
                > I am a total newby to the Rasberry PI having no linux backround at all
                > and have a working RPI for only 10 days.
                > I now have mine playing Minecraft and I am able to RDP into it from my
                > windows 7 box upstairs
                > Ok here what I eventually found what to do

                OR:

                Use the customised image here:
                http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/Cpi/

                It is all done, with a couple of VNC servers (one for root, one for pi), SSH server, FTP server and Web server.

                It was a project for a colleague at school and I've made it available to the R Pi community. VK4TUX kindly offered to host it.

                73

                Brian
                G8OSN