Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI

  • jj
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
      On 13-02-22 07:37 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
      > Step Two...
      > from the prompt type the following
      >
      > sudo apt-get update
      >
      > and let it do its thing
      That will as far as I know, only update the package list, you need
      to also tell it to upgrade "sudo apt-get upgrade" to d/l and install
      pkgs up-to-date..
    • Kerry McKenzie
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
        jj wrote:

        On 13-02-22 07:37 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
        > Step Two...
        > from the prompt type the following
        >
        > sudo apt-get update
        >
        > and let it do its thing
        That will as far as I know, only update the package list, you need
        to also tell it to upgrade "sudo apt-get upgrade" to d/l and install
        pkgs up-to-date..

        Greeting JJ
        you may well be correct as I mentioned I am a total newby to Debian Wheezy however it worked just fine and I now am able to remote into my PI
        i am unable to tell you what it did as there was a lot of traffic on my network for a short time but i can assure you I had no hope of getting remote
        desktop before typing in the command line and letting it update then running the second command.However once this completed it is working an absolute treat!

        cheers Kerry

        --
        Kind Regards
        Kerry McKenzie

        Mobile 041 971 4876

        PO Box 4492
        Kirwan QLD 4817
        Australia
      • Rick Simpson
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
          You were doing great until you got to "Now go to your windows box and pull up a rdp session". What is an RDP session on Windows? Where do you get it?

          K3IND

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
            On 13-02-22 11:29 AM, jj wrote:

            On 13-02-22 07:37 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
            > Step Two...
            > from the prompt type the following
            >
            > sudo apt-get update
            >
            > and let it do its thing
            That will as far as I know, only update the package list, you need
            to also tell it to upgrade "sudo apt-get upgrade" to d/l and install
            pkgs up-to-date..

            apt-get man page: "http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get"....some good stuff to know, hi hi!

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
              The command your looking for is sudo apt-get install -y tightvncserver

              jj <ve1jot@...> wrote:

              On 13-02-22 11:29 AM, jj wrote:

              On 13-02-22 07:37 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
              > Step Two...
              > from the prompt type the following
              >
              > sudo apt-get update
              >
              > and let it do its thing
              That will as far as I know, only update the package list, you need
              to also tell it to upgrade "sudo apt-get upgrade" to d/l and install
              pkgs up-to-date..

              apt-get man page: "http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get"....some good stuff to know, hi hi!

            • Dave B
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
                On 22 Feb 2013 at 15:39, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yaho wrote:

                > There are 6 messages in this issue.
                >
                > Topics in this digest:
                >
                > 1a. How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
                > From: Kerry McKenzie
                > 1b. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
                > From: Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
                > 1c. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
                > From: John Ferrell
                > 1d. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
                > From: Kerry McKenzie
                > 1e. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
                > From: jj

                All a bit long winded I suspect, though it obviously works...

                I seem to remember using the Pi'd version of VNC server, and a VNC viewer
                on my Windows box. Much less hassle. Forget where I got the server app
                from, the Repository I suspect, as I knew even less then than I do now.

                That and a PuTTy SSH session or two also running, and it's just like
                sitting in front of a "real" Debian box!

                There are some nice and low cost self contained HDMI to VGA converters
                available too now, for a Tenner (£10 UKP) you can have a decent screen.
                Everyone seems to have at least one surplus VGA display kicking about,
                but HDMI stuff is either non existant or reserverd for watching East
                Enders (or someother crud.)

                Some initial SSH tweaking of a config file is needed at first with the
                Debian OS's to get the settings "just right". The original Fedora remix
                distro, just worked with it straight out of the box. Impressive.

                Cheers.

                Dave G0WBX.
              • John
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
                  Remote Desk top connection is about the seventh item down in the acessories folder in the Programs panel on my Win 7 Machine. You get to the Programs panel by clicking on the Start button in the bottom left corner.

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

                  > You were doing great until you got to "Now go to your windows box and pull up a rdp session". What is an RDP session on Windows? Where do you get it?
                  >
                  > K3IND

                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kerry McKenzie <kermck@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings all and great to be on this list.
                    > I am a total newby to the Rasberry PI having no linux backround at all
                    > and have a working RPI for only 10 days.
                    > I now have mine playing Minecraft and I am able to RDP into it from my
                    > windows 7 box upstairs
                    > Ok here what I eventually found what to do

                    OR:

                    Use the customised image here:
                    http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/Cpi/

                    It is all done, with a couple of VNC servers (one for root, one for pi), SSH server, FTP server and Web server.

                    It was a project for a colleague at school and I've made it available to the R Pi community. VK4TUX kindly offered to host it.

                    73

                    Brian
                    G8OSN