Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI

  • Kerry McKenzie
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
      Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:

      > How do you "pull up an RDP session" on a Windows box?
      >
      > > On February 22, 2013 at 6:37 AM Kerry McKenzie kermck@...
      > <mailto:kermck%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      > >

      > > Greetings all and great to be on this list.
      > > I am a total newby to the Rasberry PI having no linux backround at all
      > > and have a working RPI for only 10 days.
      > > I now have mine playing Minecraft and I am able to RDP into it from my
      > > windows 7 box upstairs
      > > Ok here what I eventually found what to do
      > >
      > > Step One....
      > > Fire up your PI and open a terminal window
      > > Step Two...
      > > from the prompt type the following
      > >
      > > sudo apt-get update
      > >
      > > and let it do its thing
      > > Step Three
      > > from the prompt type the following
      > >
      > > sudo apt-get install xrdp
      > >
      > > and let it do its thing
      > > Reboot your RPI
      > >
      > > Now go to your windows box and pull up a rdp session
      > > Type in the IP address of your PI
      > > default is 192.168.0.10
      > >
      > > You will get a login screen
      > > Default Login for the RPI is "PI"
      > > and enter the password that you used on the inital setup
      > > and thats it.......enjoy
      > >
      > > --
      > > Kind Regards
      > > Kerry McKenzie
      > >
      > > Mobile 041 971 4876
      > >
      > > PO Box 4492
      > > Kirwan QLD 4817
      > > Australia
      > >

      > Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1
      > 937 825 5032
      > Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@...
      > <mailto:nigel%40ngunn.net> www http://www.ngunn.net
      > Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP
      > Club International #385,
      > Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.

      greetings Nigel
      to pull up and RDP session in windows do the following
      click start
      then program
      then accessories
      look down the list and you will find "Remote Desktop Conection"
      in windows 7 if you right click on it you are able to send it as a short
      cut to your desktop

      OK thats the long way using your GUI
      part two
      click start
      then click run
      In the box type the following mstsc and press enter
      (what you have just selected from a command prompt is Microsoft Terminal
      Services)

      Ok last way to do it is from your command prompt (to get that click
      start and in windows 7 you get the search box, just type in there cmd
      and this will give you
      the black box where in the old dos days thats all we had. Anyway in the
      black box just type the same mstsc and press enter, this will lunch a
      terminal service ready for you to just type in
      the ip address of your rasberry pi

      regards Kerry

      --
      Kind Regards
      Kerry McKenzie

      Mobile 041 971 4876

      PO Box 4492
      Kirwan QLD 4817
      Australia
    • jj
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
        On 13-02-22 07:37 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
        > Step Two...
        > from the prompt type the following
        >
        > sudo apt-get update
        >
        > and let it do its thing
        That will as far as I know, only update the package list, you need
        to also tell it to upgrade "sudo apt-get upgrade" to d/l and install
        pkgs up-to-date..
      • Kerry McKenzie
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
          jj wrote:

          On 13-02-22 07:37 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
          > Step Two...
          > from the prompt type the following
          >
          > sudo apt-get update
          >
          > and let it do its thing
          That will as far as I know, only update the package list, you need
          to also tell it to upgrade "sudo apt-get upgrade" to d/l and install
          pkgs up-to-date..

          Greeting JJ
          you may well be correct as I mentioned I am a total newby to Debian Wheezy however it worked just fine and I now am able to remote into my PI
          i am unable to tell you what it did as there was a lot of traffic on my network for a short time but i can assure you I had no hope of getting remote
          desktop before typing in the command line and letting it update then running the second command.However once this completed it is working an absolute treat!

          cheers Kerry

          --
          Kind Regards
          Kerry McKenzie

          Mobile 041 971 4876

          PO Box 4492
          Kirwan QLD 4817
          Australia
        • Rick Simpson
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
            You were doing great until you got to "Now go to your windows box and pull up a rdp session". What is an RDP session on Windows? Where do you get it?

            K3IND

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
              On 13-02-22 11:29 AM, jj wrote:

              On 13-02-22 07:37 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
              > Step Two...
              > from the prompt type the following
              >
              > sudo apt-get update
              >
              > and let it do its thing
              That will as far as I know, only update the package list, you need
              to also tell it to upgrade "sudo apt-get upgrade" to d/l and install
              pkgs up-to-date..

              apt-get man page: "http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get"....some good stuff to know, hi hi!

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
                The command your looking for is sudo apt-get install -y tightvncserver

                jj <ve1jot@...> wrote:

                On 13-02-22 11:29 AM, jj wrote:

                On 13-02-22 07:37 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
                > Step Two...
                > from the prompt type the following
                >
                > sudo apt-get update
                >
                > and let it do its thing
                That will as far as I know, only update the package list, you need
                to also tell it to upgrade "sudo apt-get upgrade" to d/l and install
                pkgs up-to-date..

                apt-get man page: "http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get"....some good stuff to know, hi hi!

              • Dave B
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
                  On 22 Feb 2013 at 15:39, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yaho wrote:

                  > There are 6 messages in this issue.
                  >
                  > Topics in this digest:
                  >
                  > 1a. How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
                  > From: Kerry McKenzie
                  > 1b. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
                  > From: Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
                  > 1c. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
                  > From: John Ferrell
                  > 1d. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
                  > From: Kerry McKenzie
                  > 1e. Re: How to install and run remote desktop to your Rasberry PI
                  > From: jj

                  All a bit long winded I suspect, though it obviously works...

                  I seem to remember using the Pi'd version of VNC server, and a VNC viewer
                  on my Windows box. Much less hassle. Forget where I got the server app
                  from, the Repository I suspect, as I knew even less then than I do now.

                  That and a PuTTy SSH session or two also running, and it's just like
                  sitting in front of a "real" Debian box!

                  There are some nice and low cost self contained HDMI to VGA converters
                  available too now, for a Tenner (£10 UKP) you can have a decent screen.
                  Everyone seems to have at least one surplus VGA display kicking about,
                  but HDMI stuff is either non existant or reserverd for watching East
                  Enders (or someother crud.)

                  Some initial SSH tweaking of a config file is needed at first with the
                  Debian OS's to get the settings "just right". The original Fedora remix
                  distro, just worked with it straight out of the box. Impressive.

                  Cheers.

                  Dave G0WBX.
                • John
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
                    Remote Desk top connection is about the seventh item down in the acessories folder in the Programs panel on my Win 7 Machine. You get to the Programs panel by clicking on the Start button in the bottom left corner.

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

                    > You were doing great until you got to "Now go to your windows box and pull up a rdp session". What is an RDP session on Windows? Where do you get it?
                    >
                    > K3IND

                  • Brian
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kerry McKenzie <kermck@...> wrote:

                      > Greetings all and great to be on this list.
                      > I am a total newby to the Rasberry PI having no linux backround at all
                      > and have a working RPI for only 10 days.
                      > I now have mine playing Minecraft and I am able to RDP into it from my
                      > windows 7 box upstairs
                      > Ok here what I eventually found what to do

                      OR:

                      Use the customised image here:
                      http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/Cpi/

                      It is all done, with a couple of VNC servers (one for root, one for pi), SSH server, FTP server and Web server.

                      It was a project for a colleague at school and I've made it available to the R Pi community. VK4TUX kindly offered to host it.

                      73

                      Brian
                      G8OSN