Re: Pi - Windows GUI

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 21, 2013
      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Francis™ <jeff@...> wrote:

      > So, just curious. What is it that you guys are planning on doing with
      > the pi that you need a GUI for? I've had mine for a couple of months now,
      > and have yet to run into the task that I can't perform from the command
      > line. Not sure what the GUI adds to the game, other than tremendous
      > overhead (in terms of RAM, CPU cycles, and network overhead)?

      The 'core' of the problem I was trying to solve with the custom image was set up time for lessons. The R Pi's HDMI output is not much use in a classroom and it takes quite a while to set up for a lesson. A colleague mentioned this to me (I teach Mathematics, not IT) and I was doing some VNC work on PCs at home and decided to try and assist.

      The result is the custom image. it offers two VNC servers (root and pi), SSH, a web server, and a FTP server.

      It is intended as an educational image, providing a set of basic services I thought would be useful in a school type environment. I see pupils having their own SD card, removing it after the lesson, so the next pupil 'starts over' with theirs. Pupils can take SD cards home for homework etc. The R Pi need not be located by the PC, this may have advantages in some situations.

      I agree entirely GUI adds overhead to game but for the user who prefers the GUi and can accept it, then the GUI is the right tool. It would not be my choice for a real time system ;-)

      73
      Brian
      G8OSN/W8OSN
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 11, 2013
        Web-server is up most of the time, NOT 100%.... The URL is correct.

        If you want to see my repeater dashboard it is: http://n1jmm.no-ip.org:81/ircddbgateway.php

        Only 2 of my web-servers are open to internet

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B