Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Pi - Windows GUI

  • John Ferrell
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 20, 2013

      Openers:
          Security camera control & and display via wireless adapter.  I have Large (80 & 90 pound) puppies to keep track of, rural environment.
          Remote Transceiver control.
          Graphic applications in general under Linux. Start weening myself from Windows.
          Maybe First Person View Autonomous Remote Control Farm Tractor.
      Just ideas for now,  I have to learn to crawl before I can walk...
          I have to figure out FTP, networking with windows, more USB ports, maybe a web server to share files?
              Much to learn!
      This fellow is great reading...
      https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/wiringpi/

      The ADAfruit site has a long list of learning projects that are well documented. I ordered another Pi, some chips and a cobbler cable yesterday. Shipping was less than $5 and prices competitive.

      On 2/20/2013 12:15 PM, Jeff Francis™ wrote:

        So, just curious.  What is it that you guys are planning on doing with the pi that you need a GUI for?  I've had mine for a couple of months now, and have yet to run into the task that I can't perform from the command line.  Not sure what the GUI adds to the game, other than tremendous overhead (in terms of RAM, CPU cycles, and network overhead)?

      --
      John Ferrell W8CCW
      That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

      --
      -=jeff=-

      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 11, 2013
        Web-server is up most of the time, NOT 100%.... The URL is correct.

        If you want to see my repeater dashboard it is: http://n1jmm.no-ip.org:81/ircddbgateway.php

        Only 2 of my web-servers are open to internet

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B