Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Pi - Windows GUI

  • Jeff Francis™
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 20, 2013
        So, just curious.  What is it that you guys are planning on doing with the pi that you need a GUI for?  I've had mine for a couple of months now, and have yet to run into the task that I can't perform from the command line.  Not sure what the GUI adds to the game, other than tremendous overhead (in terms of RAM, CPU cycles, and network overhead)?

      On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 5:22 AM, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:

      I would like a copy please!

      On 2/17/2013 4:15 PM, Brian wrote:

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

      > As a Linux beginner I have a lot to learn. My current objective is to get Pi's GUI display, mouse and keyboard remotely from other computers on my LAN.
      > I have not been successful with ssh-xming-Putty. ssh-Putty does work well for running Bash. My attempt at making VNC work with the instructions at the Adafruit web site led to more questions than answers. I have to give them credit for a very nice format though.
      > I am currently looking into http://elinux.org/RPi_Remote_Access.
      > Googling "raspberry pi remote" produces a number of suggestions.
      > I suspect there are ommitted details and assumptions in many of the offerings that trap us beginners.
      > The question:
      > Can anyone offer their personal success with Paspberry Pi - windows graphic remote setup?
      >
      > 73, de W8CCW John

      I've prepared a custom 'image' for use in my school which initiates 2 VNC servers at boot, one for root and one for pi. Also SSH, FTP and a webserver.

      You are welcome to a copy, I can make a zip available when I return home (currently in my "RV"). There are already copies circulating in the USA.

      73
      Brian
      G8OSN/W8OSN

      --
      John Ferrell W8CCW
      That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

      --
      -=jeff=-
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 11 12:45 PM
        Web-server is up most of the time, NOT 100%.... The URL is correct.

        If you want to see my repeater dashboard it is: http://n1jmm.no-ip.org:81/ircddbgateway.php

        Only 2 of my web-servers are open to internet

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B