Where to smart up on the Pi ?

  • Lewis
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 20, 2013
      Well, I know nothing about the Pi, but bit the bullet and placed an order with Amazon. At some point I'm looking to use it for Dstar. Question is where does one start with this device, I understand it does not come with any operating system or user interfaces, correct?

      73
      Lew
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 20, 2013
        Hi Lew,

        If you have any Linux background it will be pretty easy, otherwise get one of the Introductory Raspberry Pi books and a Linux primer (probably Debian).

        As far as D-STAR, join the ircDDBGateway forum on Yahoo!

        You might find this video applicable.

        On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Lewis <lewischeek@...> wrote:

        Well, I know nothing about the Pi, but bit the bullet and placed an order with Amazon. At some point I'm looking to use it for Dstar. Question is where does one start with this device, I understand it does not come with any operating system or user interfaces, correct?

        73
        Lew

      • David Kjellquist
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 20, 2013
          Lot's of things to read

          http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide

          http://elinux.org/RPi_Beginners

          Dave, WB5NHL

          On 2/20/2013 10:24 AM, Lewis wrote:

          Well, I know nothing about the Pi, but bit the bullet and placed an order with Amazon. At some point I'm looking to use it for Dstar. Question is where does one start with this device, I understand it does not come with any operating system or user interfaces, correct?

          73
          Lew

        • Paul M
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 20, 2013
            Try the embedded linux site at http://elinux.org/RPi_Hub

            And what seems to be the most popular operating system http://www.raspbian.org/

            Also the Debian Administrators  Handbook - download free of charge from http://debian-handbook.info/  (Raspbian is built from Debian so uses the same commands).It was translated published after group fund-raising so if you can make a donation  (to enable updates in the future) they would appreciate it. Or you could buy the book from Amazon.

            Finally, to encompass just about everything you'll need to know about Linux try RUTE  ('Rute Users Tutorial & Exposition) at http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz free of charge (but might be best to leave that for a week or two)  8)

            HTH

            K.

            Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.
          • Eric Scott
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 20, 2013
              There is also a Facebook page devoted to Raspberry PI and D-star.

              '73

              Eric
              KC7KLZ / VE7KLZ

              On 2013-02-20, at 9:29 AM, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

              Hi Lew,

              If you have any Linux background it will be pretty easy, otherwise get one of the Introductory Raspberry Pi books and a Linux primer (probably Debian).

              As far as D-STAR, join the ircDDBGateway forum on Yahoo!

              You might find this video applicable.

              On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Lewis <lewischeek@...> wrote:

              Well, I know nothing about the Pi, but bit the bullet and placed an order with Amazon. At some point I'm looking to use it for Dstar. Question is where does one start with this device, I understand it does not come with any operating system or user interfaces, correct?

              73
              Lew

            • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 20, 2013