Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Announcing TNC-Pi: A Customized Version of TNC-X for Raspberry Pi

  • John Hansen
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
      Yes, no problem shipping to Germany.  Almost half of Coastal ChipWorks sales go to customers outside the U.S.

      John W2FS

      On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM, siegfried jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

      Any chances to ship to germany???

      I would like to build a small aprs igate

      Should be an easy task with raspi and tnc-x ... right

      Dg9bfc

      Sigi

      Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com>

> [...]
      > batch of boards when I discovered that Chinese New Year had started
      > and all
      > the board factories in China were closed down for two weeks.
      >
      > Since there was going to be a delay anyway, I devoted the new found
      > time to
      > doing a couple of other things. First, I sent the revised board to a
      > board
      > house in Ireland (more expensive, but they don't celebrate Chinese
      > New Year)
      > for a sample to make sure I hadn't introduced any new problems while
      > making
      > the changes to the first board. That sample board is now in transit
      > and I
      > should have it in the next couple of days.
      >
      > Secondly, I spent some time writing a first draft of a manual for
      > the new
      > TNC and a web page to permit people to order it. That task is now
      > complete.
      > I also kitted up the other 9 boards so they could be sold. They are
      > now
      > available to be ordered from the new web page. They are electrically
      > identical to the boards that will be the "final" version. I am
      > offering them
      > at the introductory price of $40. That's $10 cheaper than the
      > original
      > TNC-X!
      >
      > Given the number of people who expressed interest in this project, I
      > expect
      > that the first 9 will sell out fairly quickly. I will continue to
      > take
      > orders beyond those original nine; those orders will be filled as
      > soon as
      > the first large batch of boards comes in from China (in about 3
      > weeks).
      > Because of the delay, I'll honor the introductory price until I have
      > units
      > in stock for immediate shipment. It is possible that I may be able
      > to keep
      > the final price at or near the introductory price... it depends on
      > the final
      > cost.
      >
      > So if you want one immediately, here's your chance. At this time I
      > am only
      > announcing availability on this group. I won't post a link on the
      > main
      > TNC-X page or on the Coastal ChipWorks page until I have stock on
      > hand for
      > immediate shipment of larger amounts. This will maximize the chance
      > that
      > you can get one of the first nine boards.
      >
      > If you are interested, see: www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm
      >
      > There is a link to the draft manual on this page. It includes a
      > photo of
      > one of the capacitors installed in the board so you'll see what's
      > involved
      > in dealing with the spacing issue.
      >
      > Thanks for your patience while I gear up production.

    • gw4kjw
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 23, 2013
        Sorry for my tardiness in replying, John.
        QRM caused by work. :-)
        Tried this and you are right. Works fine.

        Cheers.
        Gareth - GW4KJW

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

        > As long as it sends out standard NMEA sentences, just:
        >
        > apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients
        >
        > Then configure.
        >
        > ------------------------------
        > John D. Hays
        > K7VE
        > PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
        > <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
        > <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

      • Javier Henderson
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 5, 2013
          I don't know if anyone else received a TNCPi kit yet, but mine arrived a few weeks ago (I got lucky and my order was part of the initial batch). I built it right away, but didn't have a chance to sit down and test it until this evening.

          I'm happy to report that the Tx igate I run at home is now on the air using the Raspberry Pi and TNCPi sandwich. I am attaching a photo of the completed assembly.

          I'm running aprx on it, I will submit a how-to to W2FS for consideration to be included in the TNCPi documentation tomorrow.

          So far, so good!

          73,
          -jav k4jh

        • William Liporace - WC2L
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 27, 2013
            Hi John,
            I forget if you are on vacation or just got back! Hope all is well either
            way ;-)

            I know I asked when I purchased the TNCs if they are TNC2 devices that can
            be used for regular packet service. I am guessing that is partially true. It
            is a KISS TNC that can be used for packet. The software has to be written to
            use the TNC as a packet TNC.

            Do I now have a better understanding of the device?
            Is there any software for me to do what I want or does it need to be
            written?

            TNX Will WC2L
          • John Hansen