Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Announcing TNC-Pi: A Customized Version of TNC-X for Raspberry Pi

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
      As long as it sends out standard NMEA sentences, just:

      apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients

      Then configure.

      On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM, gw4kjw <gw4kjw@...> wrote:

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ronny Julian wrote:

      > Anyone know the best way to pop on a GPS? Is the best route a USB unit?
      > Guess I will sell off the few Serial GPS boards I have at the next hamfest
      > to pay for a straight USB unit.
      > Ronny
      > K4RJJ

      I bought a USB GPS Dongle, at a UK electronics supplier (Maplin) about four years ago. They were on special offer at approx. US$30.
      I wanted it for use with an Asus Netbook. It worked well, straight out of the box with the Asus' built-in Linux and with Mandriva Spring Linux.

      I've not tried it with the Pi, but I expect you'd need to find a driver.

      Gareth
      GW4KJW

      __._,_._
    • John Hansen
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
        Yes, no problem shipping to Germany.  Almost half of Coastal ChipWorks sales go to customers outside the U.S.

        John W2FS

        On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM, siegfried jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

        Any chances to ship to germany???

        I would like to build a small aprs igate

        Should be an easy task with raspi and tnc-x ... right

        Dg9bfc

        Sigi

        Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com>

> [...]
        > batch of boards when I discovered that Chinese New Year had started
        > and all
        > the board factories in China were closed down for two weeks.
        >
        > Since there was going to be a delay anyway, I devoted the new found
        > time to
        > doing a couple of other things. First, I sent the revised board to a
        > board
        > house in Ireland (more expensive, but they don't celebrate Chinese
        > New Year)
        > for a sample to make sure I hadn't introduced any new problems while
        > making
        > the changes to the first board. That sample board is now in transit
        > and I
        > should have it in the next couple of days.
        >
        > Secondly, I spent some time writing a first draft of a manual for
        > the new
        > TNC and a web page to permit people to order it. That task is now
        > complete.
        > I also kitted up the other 9 boards so they could be sold. They are
        > now
        > available to be ordered from the new web page. They are electrically
        > identical to the boards that will be the "final" version. I am
        > offering them
        > at the introductory price of $40. That's $10 cheaper than the
        > original
        > TNC-X!
        >
        > Given the number of people who expressed interest in this project, I
        > expect
        > that the first 9 will sell out fairly quickly. I will continue to
        > take
        > orders beyond those original nine; those orders will be filled as
        > soon as
        > the first large batch of boards comes in from China (in about 3
        > weeks).
        > Because of the delay, I'll honor the introductory price until I have
        > units
        > in stock for immediate shipment. It is possible that I may be able
        > to keep
        > the final price at or near the introductory price... it depends on
        > the final
        > cost.
        >
        > So if you want one immediately, here's your chance. At this time I
        > am only
        > announcing availability on this group. I won't post a link on the
        > main
        > TNC-X page or on the Coastal ChipWorks page until I have stock on
        > hand for
        > immediate shipment of larger amounts. This will maximize the chance
        > that
        > you can get one of the first nine boards.
        >
        > If you are interested, see: www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm
        >
        > There is a link to the draft manual on this page. It includes a
        > photo of
        > one of the capacitors installed in the board so you'll see what's
        > involved
        > in dealing with the spacing issue.
        >
        > Thanks for your patience while I gear up production.

      • gw4kjw
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 23, 2013
          Sorry for my tardiness in replying, John.
          QRM caused by work. :-)
          Tried this and you are right. Works fine.

          Cheers.
          Gareth - GW4KJW

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

          > As long as it sends out standard NMEA sentences, just:
          >
          > apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients
          >
          > Then configure.
          >
          > ------------------------------
          > John D. Hays
          > K7VE
          > PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
          > <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
          > <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

        • Javier Henderson
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 5 7:47 PM
            I don't know if anyone else received a TNCPi kit yet, but mine arrived a few weeks ago (I got lucky and my order was part of the initial batch). I built it right away, but didn't have a chance to sit down and test it until this evening.

            I'm happy to report that the Tx igate I run at home is now on the air using the Raspberry Pi and TNCPi sandwich. I am attaching a photo of the completed assembly.

            I'm running aprx on it, I will submit a how-to to W2FS for consideration to be included in the TNCPi documentation tomorrow.

            So far, so good!

            73,
            -jav k4jh

          • William Liporace - WC2L
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 27 2:32 PM
              Hi John,
              I forget if you are on vacation or just got back! Hope all is well either
              way ;-)

              I know I asked when I purchased the TNCs if they are TNC2 devices that can
              be used for regular packet service. I am guessing that is partially true. It
              is a KISS TNC that can be used for packet. The software has to be written to
              use the TNC as a packet TNC.

              Do I now have a better understanding of the device?
              Is there any software for me to do what I want or does it need to be
              written?

              TNX Will WC2L
            • John Hansen