Re: Announcing TNC-Pi: A Customized Version of TNC-X for Raspberry Pi

  • gw4kjw
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know the best way to pop on a GPS? Is the best route a USB unit?
      > Guess I will sell off the few Serial GPS boards I have at the next hamfest
      > to pay for a straight USB unit.
      > Ronny
      > K4RJJ

      I bought a USB GPS Dongle, at a UK electronics supplier (Maplin) about four years ago. They were on special offer at approx. US$30.
      I wanted it for use with an Asus Netbook. It worked well, straight out of the box with the Asus' built-in Linux and with Mandriva Spring Linux.

      I've not tried it with the Pi, but I expect you'd need to find a driver.

      Gareth
      GW4KJW
    • KD6OAT
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
        John (&John):
        This is great! Board ordered...Now all I need to do is order some spare time :-/
        Thank you for taking on this project.
        73~Ken - KD6OAT

        On Feb 16, 2013, at 3:59 PM, "John" <coastalchip@...> wrote:

        Hi Folks:

        As has been previously mentioned on this group, John Wiseman adapted (and improved) my TNC-X firmware to create a version of TNC-X that can be plugged directly into the expansion header of a Raspberry Pi.

        I'd like to give you an update on the status of this project. A small batch of the the boards for TNC-Pi (as I'm now calling it) were received a couple of weeks ago. I built one up and found that it worked great, but there were a couple of layout issues that I wanted to address before ordering a larger batch. The only real issue was that the holes for 8 of the capacitors were a little closer together than would normally be desired.

        I revised the board (and made a couple of other small changes as well...mostly to clarify the parts layout) and was about to order a larger batch of boards when I discovered that Chinese New Year had started and all the board factories in China were closed down for two weeks.

        Since there was going to be a delay anyway, I devoted the new found time to doing a couple of other things. First, I sent the revised board to a board house in Ireland (more expensive, but they don't celebrate Chinese New Year) for a sample to make sure I hadn't introduced any new problems while making the changes to the first board. That sample board is now in transit and I should have it in the next couple of days.

        Secondly, I spent some time writing a first draft of a manual for the new TNC and a web page to permit people to order it. That task is now complete. I also kitted up the other 9 boards so they could be sold. They are now available to be ordered from the new web page. They are electrically identical to the boards that will be the "final" version. I am offering them at the introductory price of $40. That's $10 cheaper than the original TNC-X!

        Given the number of people who expressed interest in this project, I expect that the first 9 will sell out fairly quickly. I will continue to take orders beyond those original nine; those orders will be filled as soon as the first large batch of boards comes in from China (in about 3 weeks). Because of the delay, I'll honor the introductory price until I have units in stock for immediate shipment. It is possible that I may be able to keep the final price at or near the introductory price... it depends on the final cost.

        So if you want one immediately, here's your chance. At this time I am only announcing availability on this group. I won't post a link on the main TNC-X page or on the Coastal ChipWorks page until I have stock on hand for immediate shipment of larger amounts. This will maximize the chance that you can get one of the first nine boards.

        If you are interested, see: www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm

        There is a link to the draft manual on this page. It includes a photo of one of the capacitors installed in the board so you'll see what's involved in dealing with the spacing issue.

        Thanks for your patience while I gear up production.

        John Hansen W2FS
        Coastal ChipWorks

      • Jaime Robles
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013

          Thanks for the quick answer!
          I will wait then ... I have all my 1200 needs covered :-)

          73

          El 17/02/2013 14:26, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> escribió:

          No, it is 1200 baud only

          73, John

          Could you tell us if it works at 9600bps?

          El 17/02/2013 11:23, "Max Harper" <kg4pid@...> escribió:

          If I understand everything correctly, the TNC-PI when configure for use on the I2C bus can only be used with the BPQ program and it WILL NOT work with other APRS programs such as APRX and Xastir. Is this correct?

          Max

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
            Thanks for letting me know.  You were in fact, the first person to place an order.  You'll get an email from USPS today saying your kits have been mailed, but I pulled them out of the outgoing stock and redirected them to others (at your request).  Your's will be the first ones sent when the new batch of boards comes in.

            Thanks again,

            John Hansen
            Coastal ChipWorks

            On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM, William Liporace - WC2L <wc2l@...> wrote:

            Hi John,
            I don't care about getting the initial batch. I am not going to get to it
            soon. Put me on the back burner ;-) I just wanted to get in on the initial
            offering. I have two Pi now, so I may as have them both.

            I am assuming that these can just do normal packet for packet cluster
            work....

            TNX Will WC2L

[...]

              • siegfried jackstien
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                  Any chances to ship to germany???

                  I would like to build a small aprs igate

                  Should be an easy task with raspi and tnc-x ... right

                  Dg9bfc

                  Sigi

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                    As long as it sends out standard NMEA sentences, just:

                    apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients

                    Then configure.

                    On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM, gw4kjw <gw4kjw@...> wrote:

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ronny Julian wrote:

                    > Anyone know the best way to pop on a GPS? Is the best route a USB unit?
                    > Guess I will sell off the few Serial GPS boards I have at the next hamfest
                    > to pay for a straight USB unit.
                    > Ronny
                    > K4RJJ

                    I bought a USB GPS Dongle, at a UK electronics supplier (Maplin) about four years ago. They were on special offer at approx. US$30.
                    I wanted it for use with an Asus Netbook. It worked well, straight out of the box with the Asus' built-in Linux and with Mandriva Spring Linux.

                    I've not tried it with the Pi, but I expect you'd need to find a driver.

                    Gareth
                    GW4KJW

                    __._,_._
                  • John Hansen
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                      Yes, no problem shipping to Germany.  Almost half of Coastal ChipWorks sales go to customers outside the U.S.

                      John W2FS

                    • gw4kjw
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 23, 2013
                        Sorry for my tardiness in replying, John.
                        QRM caused by work. :-)
                        Tried this and you are right. Works fine.

                        Cheers.
                        Gareth - GW4KJW

                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

                        > As long as it sends out standard NMEA sentences, just:
                        >
                        > apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients
                        >
                        > Then configure.
                        >
                        > ------------------------------
                        > John D. Hays
                        > K7VE
                        > PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
                        > <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
                        > <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

                      • Javier Henderson
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 5 7:47 PM
                          I don't know if anyone else received a TNCPi kit yet, but mine arrived a few weeks ago (I got lucky and my order was part of the initial batch). I built it right away, but didn't have a chance to sit down and test it until this evening.

                          I'm happy to report that the Tx igate I run at home is now on the air using the Raspberry Pi and TNCPi sandwich. I am attaching a photo of the completed assembly.

                          I'm running aprx on it, I will submit a how-to to W2FS for consideration to be included in the TNCPi documentation tomorrow.

                          So far, so good!

                          73,
                          -jav k4jh

                        • William Liporace - WC2L
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 27 2:32 PM
                            Hi John,
                            I forget if you are on vacation or just got back! Hope all is well either
                            way ;-)

                            I know I asked when I purchased the TNCs if they are TNC2 devices that can
                            be used for regular packet service. I am guessing that is partially true. It
                            is a KISS TNC that can be used for packet. The software has to be written to
                            use the TNC as a packet TNC.

                            Do I now have a better understanding of the device?
                            Is there any software for me to do what I want or does it need to be
                            written?

                            TNX Will WC2L
                          • John Hansen