Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Pi - Windows GUI

  • marcos martinez
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 17, 2013
      Hi John,

      Have you try to install a VNC server in your Pi like TightVNC?

      I've two RasPi on my network (both without keyboard/mouse), one of them without LXDE, in this one I only use a ssh client with X11Forwarding enabled.

      The second RasPi is running with LXDE and the VNC server (tightvnc), as I'm also a Linux newbie I've googled to find the easiest way to install it, and I can resume it as:

          sudo apt-get install tightvncserver

      Logged with the user that you have active and you will user to connect (can be 'pi' or other user that you had created) runs for first time the tighvnc server which will ask you for a password, not the user password but the password that the VNC server will use:

          tightvncserver

      Now you have the VNC installed and configured, you need now that it starts up when you boot your RasPi, googling you can find several ways to do it, creating scripts, adding them to the init.d folder, but I have done it adding a line to the /etc/rc.local file just before the 'exit 0' line:

          su -c "/usr/bin/tightvncserver -geometry 1024x768" pi

      You must change the 'pi' for the user that you have in your system, and also select the geometry that you prefer.

      After this you have your RasPi ready to connect with your VNC client, who can be xtighvnc ( http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php ) or other one

      I'm sure that  we can do it by other ways, but it has been the easiest for me.

      73 de Marcos, EA1FAU.

      El 16/02/13 16:53, John escribió:

      As a Linux beginner I have a lot to learn. My current objective is to get Pi's GUI display, mouse and keyboard remotely from other computers on my LAN.
      I have not been successful with ssh-xming-Putty. ssh-Putty does work well for running Bash. My attempt at making VNC work with the instructions at the Adafruit web site led to more questions than answers. I have to give them credit for a very nice format though.
      I am currently looking into http://elinux.org/RPi_Remote_Access.
      Googling "raspberry pi remote" produces a number of suggestions.
      I suspect there are ommitted details and assumptions in many of the offerings that trap us beginners.
      The question:
      Can anyone offer their personal success with Paspberry Pi - windows graphic remote setup?

      73, de W8CCW John

      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 11, 2013
        Web-server is up most of the time, NOT 100%.... The URL is correct.

        If you want to see my repeater dashboard it is: http://n1jmm.no-ip.org:81/ircddbgateway.php

        Only 2 of my web-servers are open to internet

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B