Re: Announcing TNC-Pi: A Customized Version of TNC-X for Raspberry Pi

  • gw4kjw
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know the best way to pop on a GPS? Is the best route a USB unit?
      > Guess I will sell off the few Serial GPS boards I have at the next hamfest
      > to pay for a straight USB unit.
      > Ronny
      > K4RJJ

      I bought a USB GPS Dongle, at a UK electronics supplier (Maplin) about four years ago. They were on special offer at approx. US$30.
      I wanted it for use with an Asus Netbook. It worked well, straight out of the box with the Asus' built-in Linux and with Mandriva Spring Linux.

      I've not tried it with the Pi, but I expect you'd need to find a driver.

      Gareth
      GW4KJW
    • Jaime Robles
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013

        Could you tell us if it works at 9600bps?

        El 17/02/2013 11:23, "Max Harper" <kg4pid@...> escribió:

        If I understand everything correctly, the TNC-PI when configure for use on the I2C bus can only be used with the BPQ program and it WILL NOT work with other APRS programs such as APRX and Xastir. Is this correct?

        Max

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
          No, it is 1200 baud only

          73, John

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
            John (&John):
            This is great! Board ordered...Now all I need to do is order some spare time :-/
            Thank you for taking on this project.
            73~Ken - KD6OAT

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013

              Thanks for the quick answer!
              I will wait then ... I have all my 1200 needs covered :-)

              73

              El 17/02/2013 14:26, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> escribió:

              No, it is 1200 baud only

              73, John

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                Thanks for letting me know.  You were in fact, the first person to place an order.  You'll get an email from USPS today saying your kits have been mailed, but I pulled them out of the outgoing stock and redirected them to others (at your request).  Your's will be the first ones sent when the new batch of boards comes in.

                Thanks again,

                John Hansen
                Coastal ChipWorks

                On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM, William Liporace - WC2L <wc2l@...> wrote:

                Hi John,
                I don't care about getting the initial batch. I am not going to get to it
                soon. Put me on the back burner ;-) I just wanted to get in on the initial
                offering. I have two Pi now, so I may as have them both.

                I am assuming that these can just do normal packet for packet cluster
                work....

                TNX Will WC2L

[...]

                  • siegfried jackstien
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                      Any chances to ship to germany???

                      I would like to build a small aprs igate

                      Should be an easy task with raspi and tnc-x ... right

                      Dg9bfc

                      Sigi

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                        As long as it sends out standard NMEA sentences, just:

                        apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients

                        Then configure.

                        On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM, gw4kjw <gw4kjw@...> wrote:

                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ronny Julian wrote:

                        > Anyone know the best way to pop on a GPS? Is the best route a USB unit?
                        > Guess I will sell off the few Serial GPS boards I have at the next hamfest
                        > to pay for a straight USB unit.
                        > Ronny
                        > K4RJJ

                        I bought a USB GPS Dongle, at a UK electronics supplier (Maplin) about four years ago. They were on special offer at approx. US$30.
                        I wanted it for use with an Asus Netbook. It worked well, straight out of the box with the Asus' built-in Linux and with Mandriva Spring Linux.

                        I've not tried it with the Pi, but I expect you'd need to find a driver.

                        Gareth
                        GW4KJW

                        __._,_._
                      • John Hansen
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                          Yes, no problem shipping to Germany.  Almost half of Coastal ChipWorks sales go to customers outside the U.S.

                          John W2FS

                        • gw4kjw
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 23, 2013
                            Sorry for my tardiness in replying, John.
                            QRM caused by work. :-)
                            Tried this and you are right. Works fine.

                            Cheers.
                            Gareth - GW4KJW

                            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

                            > As long as it sends out standard NMEA sentences, just:
                            >
                            > apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients
                            >
                            > Then configure.
                            >
                            > ------------------------------
                            > John D. Hays
                            > K7VE
                            > PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
                            > <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
                            > <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

                          • Javier Henderson
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 5, 2013
                              I don't know if anyone else received a TNCPi kit yet, but mine arrived a few weeks ago (I got lucky and my order was part of the initial batch). I built it right away, but didn't have a chance to sit down and test it until this evening.

                              I'm happy to report that the Tx igate I run at home is now on the air using the Raspberry Pi and TNCPi sandwich. I am attaching a photo of the completed assembly.

                              I'm running aprx on it, I will submit a how-to to W2FS for consideration to be included in the TNCPi documentation tomorrow.

                              So far, so good!

                              73,
                              -jav k4jh

                            • William Liporace - WC2L
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 27, 2013
                                Hi John,
                                I forget if you are on vacation or just got back! Hope all is well either
                                way ;-)

                                I know I asked when I purchased the TNCs if they are TNC2 devices that can
                                be used for regular packet service. I am guessing that is partially true. It
                                is a KISS TNC that can be used for packet. The software has to be written to
                                use the TNC as a packet TNC.

                                Do I now have a better understanding of the device?
                                Is there any software for me to do what I want or does it need to be
                                written?

                                TNX Will WC2L
                              • John Hansen