Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Announcing TNC-Pi: A Customized Version of TNC-X for Raspberry Pi

  • Ronny Julian
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 16, 2013
      Me too.  Hope the shopping cart had a limit on it.
      Ronny
      K4RJJ

      On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

      John,

      Order placed; don't yet know if I was fast enough to get in before they were gone, but at least I tried. :)

      Matthew Pitts
      N8OHU

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
        Max,

        No, John's document isn't complete. I have written a program that converts the i2c data to standard kiss over a virtual com (pty) port, which can be used by any packet program that can use a KIS TNC.

        73, John

        If I understand everything correctly, the TNC-PI when configure for use on the I2C bus can only be used with the BPQ program and it WILL NOT work with other APRS programs such as APRX and Xastir. Is this correct?

        Max

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
          I build a board using the Adafruit GPS module - see photos at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/S1360001.jpg and https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/S1360002.jpg This is obviously a prototype, but if you are interested I'll post the details. This version uses the serial port, so any PI TNC's would have to be connected via I2c. But USB should work as well, and I've used a bluetooth GPS with the PI

          73, John G8BPQ

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:

            > Anyone know the best way to pop on a GPS? Is the best route a USB unit?
            > Guess I will sell off the few Serial GPS boards I have at the next hamfest
            > to pay for a straight USB unit.
            > Ronny
            > K4RJJ

            I bought a USB GPS Dongle, at a UK electronics supplier (Maplin) about four years ago. They were on special offer at approx. US$30.
            I wanted it for use with an Asus Netbook. It worked well, straight out of the box with the Asus' built-in Linux and with Mandriva Spring Linux.

            I've not tried it with the Pi, but I expect you'd need to find a driver.

            Gareth
            GW4KJW
          • Ronny Julian
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
              I could use my Android phone to serve Bluetooth GPS out but I want to get away from that.  Can you tell me of a good USB serial converter that you know works with the Rpi?

              Have you ever done any Youtube videos explaining setup and use of your many software programs?
              Thanks!
              Ronny
              K4RJJ

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                Ronny,

                The only one I've used is a 4 port Prolific based adapter. I'm pretty sure it was this one, but I bought it a while ago, http://www.tronisoft.com/prod.php?id=2457

                No, I've never done anything for Youtube - maybe I should try to find the time to do something.

                John

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                  Big smiley face :-) Board ordered.
                  Thanks to all involved.
                  Dick G4BBH

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <coastalchip@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > So if you want one immediately, here's your chance. At this time I am only announcing availability on this group. I won't post a link on the main TNC-X page or on the Coastal ChipWorks page until I have stock on hand for immediate shipment of larger amounts. This will maximize the chance that you can get one of the first nine boards.
                  >
                  > If you are interested, see: www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm
                  >
                  > There is a link to the draft manual on this page. It includes a photo of one of the capacitors installed in the board so you'll see what's involved in dealing with the spacing issue.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your patience while I gear up production.

                • Jaime Robles
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013

                    Could you tell us if it works at 9600bps?

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                      No, it is 1200 baud only

                      73, John

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                        John (&John):
                        This is great! Board ordered...Now all I need to do is order some spare time :-/
                        Thank you for taking on this project.
                        73~Ken - KD6OAT

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013

                          Thanks for the quick answer!
                          I will wait then ... I have all my 1200 needs covered :-)

                          73

                          El 17/02/2013 14:26, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> escribió:

                          No, it is 1200 baud only

                          73, John

                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                            Thanks for letting me know.  You were in fact, the first person to place an order.  You'll get an email from USPS today saying your kits have been mailed, but I pulled them out of the outgoing stock and redirected them to others (at your request).  Your's will be the first ones sent when the new batch of boards comes in.

                            Thanks again,

                            John Hansen
                            Coastal ChipWorks

                            On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM, William Liporace - WC2L <wc2l@...> wrote:

                            Hi John,
                            I don't care about getting the initial batch. I am not going to get to it
                            soon. Put me on the back burner ;-) I just wanted to get in on the initial
                            offering. I have two Pi now, so I may as have them both.

                            I am assuming that these can just do normal packet for packet cluster
                            work....

                            TNX Will WC2L

[...]

                              • siegfried jackstien
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                                  Any chances to ship to germany???

                                  I would like to build a small aprs igate

                                  Should be an easy task with raspi and tnc-x ... right

                                  Dg9bfc

                                  Sigi

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                                    As long as it sends out standard NMEA sentences, just:

                                    apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients

                                    Then configure.

                                    On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM, gw4kjw <gw4kjw@...> wrote:

                                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ronny Julian wrote:

                                    > Anyone know the best way to pop on a GPS? Is the best route a USB unit?
                                    > Guess I will sell off the few Serial GPS boards I have at the next hamfest
                                    > to pay for a straight USB unit.
                                    > Ronny
                                    > K4RJJ

                                    I bought a USB GPS Dongle, at a UK electronics supplier (Maplin) about four years ago. They were on special offer at approx. US$30.
                                    I wanted it for use with an Asus Netbook. It worked well, straight out of the box with the Asus' built-in Linux and with Mandriva Spring Linux.

                                    I've not tried it with the Pi, but I expect you'd need to find a driver.

                                    Gareth
                                    GW4KJW

                                    __._,_._
                                  • John Hansen
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 17, 2013
                                      Yes, no problem shipping to Germany.  Almost half of Coastal ChipWorks sales go to customers outside the U.S.

                                      John W2FS

                                    • gw4kjw
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 23, 2013
                                        Sorry for my tardiness in replying, John.
                                        QRM caused by work. :-)
                                        Tried this and you are right. Works fine.

                                        Cheers.
                                        Gareth - GW4KJW

                                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

                                        > As long as it sends out standard NMEA sentences, just:
                                        >
                                        > apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients
                                        >
                                        > Then configure.
                                        >
                                        > ------------------------------
                                        > John D. Hays
                                        > K7VE
                                        > PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
                                        > <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
                                        > <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

                                      • Javier Henderson
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 5, 2013
                                          I don't know if anyone else received a TNCPi kit yet, but mine arrived a few weeks ago (I got lucky and my order was part of the initial batch). I built it right away, but didn't have a chance to sit down and test it until this evening.

                                          I'm happy to report that the Tx igate I run at home is now on the air using the Raspberry Pi and TNCPi sandwich. I am attaching a photo of the completed assembly.

                                          I'm running aprx on it, I will submit a how-to to W2FS for consideration to be included in the TNCPi documentation tomorrow.

                                          So far, so good!

                                          73,
                                          -jav k4jh

                                        • William Liporace - WC2L
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 27, 2013
                                            Hi John,
                                            I forget if you are on vacation or just got back! Hope all is well either
                                            way ;-)

                                            I know I asked when I purchased the TNCs if they are TNC2 devices that can
                                            be used for regular packet service. I am guessing that is partially true. It
                                            is a KISS TNC that can be used for packet. The software has to be written to
                                            use the TNC as a packet TNC.

                                            Do I now have a better understanding of the device?
                                            Is there any software for me to do what I want or does it need to be
                                            written?

                                            TNX Will WC2L
                                          • John Hansen