Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] jnos on my RPi crashing -- resolved

  • KD6OAT
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 15, 2013
      Hi Jerome. Do you associate any addresses in your forward.bbs file with those in an alias file btw? When I experienced similar crashes to the ones you have described, the culprit turn out to be and entry in the alias file that included my own ampr.org IP.

      73~Ken

      On Feb 14, 2013, at 5:44 PM, jerome schatten <va7vv@...> wrote:

      Hi John, and others following my original thread:

      Just to let you know that I was able to locate where jnos was crashing; it was at the start of each forward cycle that I initiated. I have supplicated myself before the wizard and hope that he will respond.

      My work around in the meantime was to change my forward file so that I did not poll my forwarding partners. That has worked now since yesterday. If they initiate a forward cycle everything is fine and the system is stable. Not exactly a fix, but all is operational with the Pi and jnos to an extent where it's almost 100%.

      I noticed that in low traffic times, it would crash exactly every 15 minutes by itself. 15 minutes was the start of my forward cycle time.  This aligns with my original clue, where I saw that manually starting a forward cycle crashed jnos.

      Sill going to try the debugger to see what I can learn from that.
      Thanks again,
      jerome  - ve7ass

      From: John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...>
      To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013, 2:31 AM

      Jerome,

      I can't help with jnos specifically, but I suggest  you run the program under the debugger (gdb). This should at least show where the program is failing, and if it is always in the same place.

      gdb jnos2

      if it stops within gdb, the bt copmmand will display a stack trace.This may give a cluse, or at least give you something to report to the jnos developer.

      To get the most info, jnos has to be compiled with the -g option - check the makefile to see if it is set.

      73, John

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 15, 2013
        Hi JJ... I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I don't index anything. The mail files are automatically deleted after several days.
        Can I draw you out a bit on what you're saying?
        j.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 15, 2013
          Interesting!  I just had a boo at my files, and my alias file is among the missing. I must have dropped it in one of the many moves across machines. I will reconstruct it, and see what happens.

          Can you send me your alias file?

          Thanks,
          j.

          Are you running your pi system now?

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 15, 2013

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 15, 2013
              John et al:

              Thanks for your suggestions re the files John. I did a complete clean out and reorg of what was in the spool directory. Some of the stuff was from the early 90's. I did likewise for for the root jnos directory. I don't know which was the problem, but at the end of the process, everything worked flawlessly.

              My face is red.  Originally to build the Pi system, I copied over all the  configuration files from my working x86 based system. Everything worked there with no problems. Thus my assumption that if it worked on the x86 system, and the compilation for the Pi  was OK (no errors), then the config files should work on the Pi. That was my thinking.

              I can't speak to what actually happened, but something did.  It's all good now.

              Thanks to all that helped,
              jerome

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 16, 2013
                  John... if you've had your pi problems for over a year, you most likely have a version 1 Pi, no? If so, that's probably the 256 rather than the 512 memeory, no?

                  The failure on heavy netrom use/load speaks to not 'nuff ram. What does 'top' say under those conditions wrt ram use? and CPU use?

                  Maybe $39 more for a new pi solves the problem?

                  Just a thought <g>.
                  jerome

                  From: JJ <ve1jot@...>

                  Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] jnos on