Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] No help? Wireless D-LINK DWA-131

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 6 1:15 PM
      http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

      On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Donald <tambeaud@...> wrote:

      Still trying to get my D-LINK DWA-131 to work with my rasp pi?
      Has anyone got one working?
      Don
      VE3HOL

    • woodhor
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 9 11:52 AM
        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

        > http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals
        >
        > ------------------------------
        > John D. Hays
        > K7VE
        > PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
        > <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
        > <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>
        >

        > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Donald <tambeaud@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Still trying to get my D-LINK DWA-131 to work with my rasp pi?
        > > Has anyone got one working?
        > > Don
        > > VE3HOL

        I know that the DWA-131 is shown as compatible in at the following site.
        >http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

        but I do not know how to proceed with getting it to work with my PI!

        Don
        VE3HOL
      • danny garvin
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 9 12:58 PM
          I'm working on the same issue have you contacted D-Link support yet? I installed wicd which is a network manager but it still won't connect I have a few more things to try but if that dosen't work I will be contacting there support center.
          Danny
             WB9RIM

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 10 8:44 AM
            Hello Danny
            No I have not contacted D-Link support. The information that came with the adapter only had information on how to setup with Window or Apple, I figure if they had a fix for Linux, it would have been included in their literature. I also have installed wicd but do not know how to proceed. Nothing happens when I plug it into a USB port other than it flashing on and off! I know that the Pi knows it there because when I run lsusb, the system sees it. Good luck and let me know if you have any success.
            Don
            VE3HOL

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, danny garvin <grailknight_2@...> wrote:

            > I'm working on the same issue have you contacted D-Link support yet? I installed wicd which is a network manager but it still won't connect I have a few more things to try but if that dosen't work I will be contacting there support center.
            > Danny
            >    WB9RIM
            >

            > ________________________________

          • danny garvin
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 10 11:17 AM
              Hi Don
              In the setup guide it says to install the drivers before you plug in the adaptor but the included drivers are for windows or MAC you have to go to D-Link's web site to get the Linux drives. I wen't and downloaded the drivers but I think the instalation instructions assumes the user has more Linux
              experence than I have. I opened wicd and it was able to see my wirless router but when I clicked connect it failed. Also when I logged into the router it sees the Raspberry an has given it an I.P address. There is a help section on the company web site that says to push the button on the end of the adaptor then push the wps button on the router but I haven't tryed that yet if that dosen't work I will contact the help center to see if they can help me get the drivers installed. If one of us gets it working we should write it up and post it to the files section.
              Danny
                 WB9RIM

              --- In mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com, danny garvin <grailknight_2@...> wrote:

              > I'm working on the same issue have you contacted D-Link support yet? I installed wicd which is a network manager but it still won't connect I have a few more things to try but if that dosen't work I will be contacting there support center.
              > Danny
              >    WB9RIM
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Donald J. Tambeau
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 10 1:34 PM
                Hello Danny,
                    Thank you for your help.  Without the D-LINK-131 plugged in a USB port, I plugged in a cable to the network adapter of my Rasp Pi and connected to the internet.   I went to the D-Link website and downloaded the Linux driver for the     DWA-131 adapter.  Now I have the driver  “dwa131_linux_drivers_100.tar.gz”  in the    /home/pi/downloads   directory on my Rasp Pi.   I am not sure how to proceed with this (tar.gz) file.   I think it has to be decompressed and then install.   Can you or anybody else explain how to do this.   Also .....does it have to be in a certain directory?
                Thank you
                Don
                VE3HOL

                ________________________________
                <tambeaud@...>
                href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com

                href="http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

                > but
                I do not know how to proceed with getting it to work with my PI!

                > Don

                VE3HOL

              • Eric Scott
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 10 2:12 PM
                  Try this web site to unzip a tar.gz.

                  73

                  Eric
                  KC7KLZ

                  No I have not contacted D-Link support. The information that came with the adapter only had information on how to setup with Window or Apple, I figure if they had a fix for Linux, it would have been included in their literature. I also have installed wicd but do not know how to proceed. Nothing happens when I plug it into a USB port other than it flashing on and off! I know that the Pi knows it there because when I run lsusb, the system sees it. Good luck and let me know if you have any success.
                  Don
                  VE3HOL

                  --- In mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com, danny garvin <grailknight_2@...> wrote:

                  > I'm working on the same issue have you contacted D-Link support yet? I installed wicd which is a network manager but it still won't connect I have a few more things to try but if that dosen't work I will be contacting there support center.
                  > Danny
                  >    WB9RIM
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                  =
                • danny garvin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 10 2:28 PM
                    Don
                      I'm not sure what distro you are running but I am running Rasbian Wheezy and it comes with "Xarchiver" that is a zip / unzip program that opens the .tar.gz files I just clicked on the file and it automaticly opend in Xarchiver then there is abunch of files there. There is a read me text file that has the instilation procedure but it wasen't real clear to me. Like I said earler it seamed beond my present Linux experence. If you don't have Xarchiver you should be able to do a apt-get and find it and get it installed. Maybe the install instructions makes more sence to you than it dose me.
                    Danny
                        WB9RIM

                    ________________________________

                    VE3HOL

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 10 2:29 PM
                      Untarring (tar is the Unix/Linux equivalent of a zip file) -- is not what's going to trip up folks.  This file contains source code to compile, firmware to put in the right place in the file system, activating services, and so forth.

                      Remember, the Pi is not a "consumer" desktop that comes with everything already built and integrated, so users would be well advised to use the verified peripherals list and pick what you need from there, unless you are prepared to put in the time to understand building things from source, editing, debugging, etc.

                      If you can't get what you need in a pre-built package (via apt-get or similar), this is going to be a common situation.

                      It's a great learning experience and Google can be your best friend.  Taking the time to explain this step-by-step can be very consuming.  Many of us are willing to help with specific areas, just be sure you have done your own research and homework.

                      General questions about RasPi, and various programs to run under it are probably better served in the larger RasPi community (WiKis, blogs, forums, etc.) -- this one will be more valuable for Ham Radio related software and Ham Radio specific interfacing.

                      On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Eric Scott <kc7klz@...> wrote:

                      Try this web site to unzip a tar.gz.

                      73

                      Eric
                      KC7KLZ

                      No I have not contacted D-Link support. The information that came with the adapter only had information on how to setup with Window or Apple, I figure if they had a fix for Linux, it would have been included in their literature. I also have installed wicd but do not know how to proceed. Nothing happens when I plug it into a USB port other than it flashing on and off! I know that the Pi knows it there because when I run lsusb, the system sees it. Good luck and let me know if you have any success.
                      Don
                      VE3HOL

                      --- In mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com, danny garvin <grailknight_2@...> wrote:

                      > I'm working on the same issue have you contacted D-Link support yet? I installed wicd which is a network manager but it still won't connect I have a few more things to try but if that dosen't work I will be contacting there support center.
                      > Danny
                      >    WB9RIM
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Vincent
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 10 2:58 PM
                        John D. Hays K7VE wrote:

                        > Untarring (tar is the Unix/Linux equivalent of a zip file) -- is not
                        > what's going to trip up folks. This file contains source code to
                        > compile, firmware to put in the right place in the file system,
                        > activating services, and so forth.
                        >
                        > Remember, the Pi is not a "consumer" desktop that comes with
                        > everything already built and integrated, so users would be well
                        > advised to use the verified peripherals list and pick what you need
                        > from there, unless you are prepared to put in the time to understand
                        > building things from source, editing, debugging, etc.

                        Is there a way to cross-compile it in Ubuntu or other distro? I wouldn't
                        expect the Pi to come with the libs etc. needed. Besides which it would
                        go much faster on a laptop or desktop. I've heard there is but don't
                        remember where.

                        --

                        Vincent Tompkins
                        n2ohh@...
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 10 3:48 PM
                          There are several approaches including a chroot environment and a virtual machine under Qemu.

                          You can also use cross compile tool chains with gcc.  Use Google to find tutorials.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 10 4:08 PM
                            If I recall, there is a tutorial on how to cross compile a OS.  Might be able to use that information to cross compile something else.

                            73

                            Eric
                            KC7KLZ

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 10 6:00 PM
                              Danny
                              I am running Rasbian Wheezy also and have Xarchiver. I did not know that it was an unzip type program. I will give it a try and do some reading. I will get back to you....especially if I have some success.
                              73

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 20 12:39 PM
                                I found this on the pi site today. I haven't tried it, but am running a RTL8188 CUS based dongle, installed manually.

                                WiFi is now supported out of the box

                                If your WiFi driver is supported by the default linux tree, or is based on the popular RTL8188CUS chipset, then WiFi should work out of the box. Boot the image with the WiFi dongle plugged in (a powered hub is recommended). Run startx and select “WiFi Config”. You can scan for wireless networks and enter your wireless password and connect from the GUI. No need to install additional packages or scripts.

                                The post is mainly about performance improvements.

                                73, John G8BPQ