Re: DXSpider on the pi

  • K2DMS
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 8 9:43 AM
      CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider

      maybe should be

      cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider

      Unless CP is an alias to cp.

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "g3pjd" wrote:

      > Has anybody tried Bill, N6WS' procedure for installing DX Spider on Raspi? I have had two attempts, the second one after re-formatting and re imaging my SD, but both attempts failed at "CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider" (my quote marks) with the error message 'cannot overwrite non-directory /spider with directory /home/sysop/spider.new/'
      >
      > I am running 2012-12-16 Raspbian Wheezy on a 4GB SDHC and a Pi model B.
      >
      > As I am new to Debian I am somewhat at a loss (English understatement for 'clueless'!).
      >
      > Any help appreciated
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Tim
      > G3PJD

    • Rusty Haddock
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 8 10:03 AM
        K2DMS wrote:
        >CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
        >
        >maybe should be
        >
        >cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
        >
        >Unless CP is an alias to cp.

        I hafta ask -- why aren't you simply creating a symbolic link?

        sudo ln -s /home/sysop/spider.new /spider

        Not sure how much file space is used by ~sysop/spider.new but
        it's getting duplicated with a 'cp'. A symbolic link is simply
        a "pointer" yet effectively connects /spider to ~sysop/spider.new.
        On the other hand, if you want to keep the spider.new directory
        pristine in case something goes wrong... 'cp' is not a bad thing.

        Sorry for jumping in out of the left-field bleachers. :)

        -Rusty-
        --
        _____ Rusty Haddock <=> AE5AE
        |\/ o \ o Way out yonder in the
        | ( -< O o Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area
        |/\__V__/ Math illiteracy affects 7 out of 5 people!
      • g3pjd
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 11 3:20 AM
          CP in caps is my typo in this posting. I typed it correctly when loading the SD.

          Note to self: Read through more carefully before hitting 'SEND'!

          73

          Self

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "K2DMS" wrote:

          > CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
          >
          > maybe should be
          >
          > cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
          >
          > Unless CP is an alias to cp.
          >
          > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "g3pjd" wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anybody tried Bill, N6WS' procedure for installing DX Spider on Raspi? I have had two attempts, the second one after re-formatting and re imaging my SD, but both attempts failed at "CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider" (my quote marks) with the error message 'cannot overwrite non-directory /spider with directory /home/sysop/spider.new/'
          > >
          > > I am running 2012-12-16 Raspbian Wheezy on a 4GB SDHC and a Pi model B.
          > >
          > > As I am new to Debian I am somewhat at a loss (English understatement for 'clueless'!).
          > >
          > > Any help appreciated
          > >
          > > 73
          > >
          > > Tim
          > > G3PJD

        • g3pjd
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 11 3:29 AM
            As I understand it, the contents of spider.new are copied to /spider by this line, and the next line in the procedure removes the directory spider.new.

            If I am right, then this little glimmer of understanding is clear progress for me!!

            Not sure what a left field bleacher is, but it sounds painful!

            73

            Tim
            G3PJD
            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Rusty Haddock wrote:

            > K2DMS wrote:
            > >CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
            > >
            > >maybe should be
            > >
            > >cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
            > >
            > >Unless CP is an alias to cp.
            >
            > I hafta ask -- why aren't you simply creating a symbolic link?
            >
            > sudo ln -s /home/sysop/spider.new /spider
            >
            > Not sure how much file space is used by ~sysop/spider.new but
            > it's getting duplicated with a 'cp'. A symbolic link is simply
            > a "pointer" yet effectively connects /spider to ~sysop/spider.new.
            > On the other hand, if you want to keep the spider.new directory
            > pristine in case something goes wrong... 'cp' is not a bad thing.
            >
            > Sorry for jumping in out of the left-field bleachers. :)
            >
            > -Rusty-
            > --
            > _____ Rusty Haddock <=> AE5AE
            > |\/ o \ o Way out yonder in the
            > | ( -< O o Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area
            > |/\__V__/ Math illiteracy affects 7 out of 5 people!

          • Bill Shell
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 11 5:33 AM
              Tim,

              Were you able to get DXSpider to run using v1.05 of the instructions?

              73, Bill
              N6WS

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
                the easiest way to do this that I know of is using a GUI file manager, 2nd way is using the file
                manager in webmin.
                if you want to do it from the command line then try this:

                you could try reading the manual on the copy command: man cp

                or just try this:
                cd /home/sysop/spider.new
                cp -R * /spider
                this might also work: cp -R .. /spider

                that will copy all files without a "." in them.
                if there are files with periods in the filenames, you might have to run it again with *.*

                the switch [-R | -r | --recursive] should copy the sub-directories recursively.

                -Jim-