DXSpider on the pi

  • g3pjd
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 7, 2013
      Has anybody tried Bill, N6WS' procedure for installing DX Spider on Raspi? I have had two attempts, the second one after re-formatting and re imaging my SD, but both attempts failed at "CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider" (my quote marks) with the error message 'cannot overwrite non-directory /spider with directory /home/sysop/spider.new/'

      I am running 2012-12-16 Raspbian Wheezy on a 4GB SDHC and a Pi model B.

      As I am new to Debian I am somewhat at a loss (English understatement for 'clueless'!).

      Any help appreciated

      73

      Tim
      G3PJD
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 7, 2013
        Tim,

        I used it a while ago, but I cant remember if I adapted it at all.

        The message suggests that /spider doesnt exist, which suggests that either the

        ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider failed, or there isn't a spider folder under user sysop's home directory.

        Actually, I cant see where in the instructions the spider folder is created - but I may be missing it!

        73, John

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 7, 2013

          Thanks for the thoughts. Indeed, despite my my ignorance of the language I can't see how spider/ gets created. Think I will create it and try again!

          73

          Tim
          G3PJD

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" wrote:

          > Tim,
          >
          > I used it a while ago, but I cant remember if I adapted it at all.
          >
          > The message suggests that /spider doesnt exist, which suggests that either
          > the
          >
          > ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider failed, or there isn't a spider folder under
          > user sysop's home directory.
          >
          > Actually, I cant see where in the instructions the spider folder is created
          > - but I may be missing it!
          >
          > 73, John
          >

          > _____

        • Bill Shell
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 7, 2013
            Hi Tim,

            The symbolic link /spider is created with:
            ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider

            Also, there are a few changes made recently.  Make sure you are using v1.03 of the instructions.

            73, Bill
            N6WS

            John

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 8, 2013
              Ok, Bill,

              But where is ~sysop/spider created?

              73, John

              The symbolic link /spider is created with:
              ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider

              Also, there are a few changes made recently.  Make sure you are using v1.03 of the instructions.

              73, Bill
              N6WS

              On 02/07/2013 10:03 AM, g3pjd wrote:

              John

              Thanks for the thoughts. Indeed, despite my my ignorance of the language I can't see how spider/ gets created. Think I will create it and try again!

              73

              Tim
              G3PJD

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" wrote:

              > Tim,
              >
              > I used it a while ago, but I cant remember if I adapted it at all.
              >
              > The message suggests that /spider doesnt exist, which suggests that either
              > the
              >
              > ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider failed, or there isn't a spider folder under
              > user sysop's home directory.
              >
              > Actually, I cant see where in the instructions the spider folder is created
              > - but I may be missing it!
              >
              > 73, John
              >

              > _____

            • K2DMS
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 8, 2013
                CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider

                maybe should be

                cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider

                Unless CP is an alias to cp.

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "g3pjd" wrote:

                > Has anybody tried Bill, N6WS' procedure for installing DX Spider on Raspi? I have had two attempts, the second one after re-formatting and re imaging my SD, but both attempts failed at "CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider" (my quote marks) with the error message 'cannot overwrite non-directory /spider with directory /home/sysop/spider.new/'
                >
                > I am running 2012-12-16 Raspbian Wheezy on a 4GB SDHC and a Pi model B.
                >
                > As I am new to Debian I am somewhat at a loss (English understatement for 'clueless'!).
                >
                > Any help appreciated
                >
                > 73
                >
                > Tim
                > G3PJD

              • Rusty Haddock
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 8, 2013
                  K2DMS wrote:
                  >CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
                  >
                  >maybe should be
                  >
                  >cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
                  >
                  >Unless CP is an alias to cp.

                  I hafta ask -- why aren't you simply creating a symbolic link?

                  sudo ln -s /home/sysop/spider.new /spider

                  Not sure how much file space is used by ~sysop/spider.new but
                  it's getting duplicated with a 'cp'. A symbolic link is simply
                  a "pointer" yet effectively connects /spider to ~sysop/spider.new.
                  On the other hand, if you want to keep the spider.new directory
                  pristine in case something goes wrong... 'cp' is not a bad thing.

                  Sorry for jumping in out of the left-field bleachers. :)

                  -Rusty-
                  --
                  _____ Rusty Haddock <=> AE5AE
                  |\/ o \ o Way out yonder in the
                  | ( -< O o Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area
                  |/\__V__/ Math illiteracy affects 7 out of 5 people!
                • g3pjd
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 11, 2013
                    CP in caps is my typo in this posting. I typed it correctly when loading the SD.

                    Note to self: Read through more carefully before hitting 'SEND'!

                    73

                    Self

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "K2DMS" wrote:

                    > CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
                    >
                    > maybe should be
                    >
                    > cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
                    >
                    > Unless CP is an alias to cp.
                    >
                    > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "g3pjd" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Has anybody tried Bill, N6WS' procedure for installing DX Spider on Raspi? I have had two attempts, the second one after re-formatting and re imaging my SD, but both attempts failed at "CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider" (my quote marks) with the error message 'cannot overwrite non-directory /spider with directory /home/sysop/spider.new/'
                    > >
                    > > I am running 2012-12-16 Raspbian Wheezy on a 4GB SDHC and a Pi model B.
                    > >
                    > > As I am new to Debian I am somewhat at a loss (English understatement for 'clueless'!).
                    > >
                    > > Any help appreciated
                    > >
                    > > 73
                    > >
                    > > Tim
                    > > G3PJD

                  • g3pjd
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 11, 2013
                      As I understand it, the contents of spider.new are copied to /spider by this line, and the next line in the procedure removes the directory spider.new.

                      If I am right, then this little glimmer of understanding is clear progress for me!!

                      Not sure what a left field bleacher is, but it sounds painful!

                      73

                      Tim
                      G3PJD

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 11, 2013
                        Tim,

                        Were you able to get DXSpider to run using v1.05 of the instructions?

                        73, Bill
                        N6WS

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
                          the easiest way to do this that I know of is using a GUI file manager, 2nd way is using the file
                          manager in webmin.
                          if you want to do it from the command line then try this:

                          you could try reading the manual on the copy command: man cp

                          or just try this:
                          cd /home/sysop/spider.new
                          cp -R * /spider
                          this might also work: cp -R .. /spider

                          that will copy all files without a "." in them.
                          if there are files with periods in the filenames, you might have to run it again with *.*

                          the switch [-R | -r | --recursive] should copy the sub-directories recursively.

                          -Jim-