Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Eben Upton's Book "Raspberry PI User Guide"

  • Stan Grigaliunas
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3 2:07 PM
      Don,

      I am also following the reflector with the same results as you.

      73
      Stan
      K8SRB

      Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:57 PM
      Subject: RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Eben Upton's Book "Raspberry PI User Guide"

      Hello Jaime,

      Both of these were done long ago.
      sudo apt-get update
      apt-get install mysql-server

      also wordpress was installed long ago

      sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.110
      gets me.... setup-mysql: is a directory

      sudo gzip -d mysql-server I get
      gzip: mysql-server.gz no such file or directory.

      As you can see....I am very new to these Linux commands.
      Thanks for you help
      Don

        tambeaud@...> wrote:

        >>> Hello John,
        >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
        when I give the following command.
        >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
        >>> Reading package lists..Done
        >>> Building dependency tree
        >>> Reading state information..Done
        >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
        >>>
        >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
        gave the following command.

        >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
        >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
        >>
        >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
        is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
        it even tries to connect to the server process.

        >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
        none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
        anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
        mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
        there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
        can check by executing:

        >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
        >>
        >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
        >>
        >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
        >>
        >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
        executing:

        >> sudo apt-get update
        >>
        >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
        >>
        >>> Thanks for your help.
        >>> Don
        >>
        >> --
        >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
        >> Xenotropic Systems
        >> mcdermj@...

      • Donald J Tambeau
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 4 7:39 AM

          Yes I am using Raspbian with an 8 GB card.

          Don

          tambeaud@...> wrote:

          >>> Hello John,
          >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
          when I give the following command.
          >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
          >>> Reading package lists..Done
          >>> Building dependency tree
          >>> Reading state information..Done
          >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
          >>>
          >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
          gave the following command.

          >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
          >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
          >>
          >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
          is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
          it even tries to connect to the server process.

          >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
          none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
          anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
          mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
          there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
          can check by executing:

          >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
          >>
          >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
          >>
          >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
          >>
          >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
          executing:

          >> sudo apt-get update
          >>
          >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
          >>
          >>> Thanks for your help.
          >>> Don
          >>
          >> --
          >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
          >> Xenotropic Systems
          >> mcdermj@...

        • Stan Grigaliunas
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 8 6:25 PM
            Hi Don,

            Any progress?  I am still dead in the water.

            73
            Stan
            k8srb

            Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:35 AM

            Hello Stan,

            sudo find / -name setup-mysql

            got the No such file or directory and so did

            sudo find / -name mysql-setup

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 10 3:33 PM
              Don't know if this is useful, but not having a Pi/book with me today I can't check it out.

              I downloaded the Wordpress .deb from http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/w/ & opened it (using an archive manager) and it contains the standard  3 files. Again open the data.tar.gz archive and under  ./usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ you'll find setup-mysql.gz

              My assumption is that the file will be found at /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ on the SD and MAY require decompressing.

              Feel free to heap scorn on my head if it's not there.

              Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.