RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Eben Upton's Book "Raspberry PI User Guide"

  • Donald J Tambeau
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
      Hello Jaime,

      Both of these were done long ago.
      sudo apt-get update
      apt-get install mysql-server

      also wordpress was installed long ago

      sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.110
      gets me.... setup-mysql: is a directory

      sudo gzip -d mysql-server I get
      gzip: mysql-server.gz no such file or directory.

      As you can see....I am very new to these Linux commands.
      Thanks for you help
      Don

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
        Don,

        I am also following the reflector with the same results as you.

        73
        Stan
        K8SRB

        2013/2/3 Jaime Robles mailto:jaime%40robles.es>:

        > Did
        you tried
        > sudo apt-get update
        > apt-get install
        mysql-server

        mailto:tambeaud%40personainternet.com> wrote:

        >>> Hello John,
        >>> You might be on
        to something John. Here is what happens
        when I give the following command.
        >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

        Reading package lists..Done
        >>> Building dependency
        tree
        >>> Reading state information..Done
        >>> E: Unable
        to locate package mysql-server

        >>> So I thought that
        the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
        gave the following command.

        >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p

        And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.

        >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client*
        is installed. The server
        is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
        it even tries to connect to the server process.

        >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of
        find for people on here and
        none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
        anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
        mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
        there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
        can check by executing:

        >> sudo
        dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

        >> If it's not
        installed, it'll show something like:

        >> dpkg: no packages
        found matching mysql-server

        >> You might want to check to
        make sure your package lists are up to date by
        executing:

        >> sudo apt-get
        update

        >> and then try to install the mysql-server package
        again.

        >>> Thanks for your help.

        Don

        >> --
        >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)

        Xenotropic Systems

        href="mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com">mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com

      • Jaime Robles

          tambeaud@...> wrote:

          >>> Hello John,
          >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
          when I give the following command.
          >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
          >>> Reading package lists..Done
          >>> Building dependency tree
          >>> Reading state information..Done
          >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
          >>>
          >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
          gave the following command.

          >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
          >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
          >>
          >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
          is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
          it even tries to connect to the server process.

          >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
          none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
          anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
          mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
          there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
          can check by executing:

          >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
          >>
          >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
          >>
          >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
          >>
          >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
          executing:

          >> sudo apt-get update
          >>
          >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
          >>
          >>> Thanks for your help.
          >>> Don
          >>
          >> --
          >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
          >> Xenotropic Systems
          >> mcdermj@...

        • Donald J Tambeau
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013

            Yes I am using Raspbian with an 8 GB card.

            Don

            tambeaud@...> wrote:

            >>> Hello John,
            >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
            when I give the following command.
            >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
            >>> Reading package lists..Done
            >>> Building dependency tree
            >>> Reading state information..Done
            >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
            >>>
            >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
            gave the following command.

            >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
            >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
            >>
            >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
            is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
            it even tries to connect to the server process.

            >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
            none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
            anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
            mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
            there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
            can check by executing:

            >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
            >>
            >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
            >>
            >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
            >>
            >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
            executing:

            >> sudo apt-get update
            >>
            >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
            >>
            >>> Thanks for your help.
            >>> Don
            >>
            >> --
            >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
            >> Xenotropic Systems
            >> mcdermj@...

          • Stan Grigaliunas
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 8, 2013
              Hi Don,

              Any progress?  I am still dead in the water.

              73
              Stan
              k8srb

              Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:35 AM

              Hello Stan,

              sudo find / -name setup-mysql

              got the No such file or directory and so did

              sudo find / -name mysql-setup

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 10, 2013
                Don't know if this is useful, but not having a Pi/book with me today I can't check it out.

                I downloaded the Wordpress .deb from http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/w/ & opened it (using an archive manager) and it contains the standard  3 files. Again open the data.tar.gz archive and under  ./usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ you'll find setup-mysql.gz

                My assumption is that the file will be found at /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ on the SD and MAY require decompressing.

                Feel free to heap scorn on my head if it's not there.

                Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.