RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Eben Upton's Book "Raspberry PI User Guide"

  • Donald J Tambeau
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
      Hello Jeremy,
      I get the following message when I put your command: sudo dpdg
      --get-selections mysql-server I get the following.
      Sudo: dpkg--get-selections: command not found!

      I also ran sudo apt-get update I run this quite often.
      Thanks for your help
      Don

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
        Hello Jaime,

        Both of these were done long ago.
        sudo apt-get update
        apt-get install mysql-server

        also wordpress was installed long ago

        sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.110
        gets me.... setup-mysql: is a directory

        sudo gzip -d mysql-server I get
        gzip: mysql-server.gz no such file or directory.

        As you can see....I am very new to these Linux commands.
        Thanks for you help
        Don

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
          Don,

          I am also following the reflector with the same results as you.

          73
          Stan
          K8SRB

          2013/2/3 Jaime Robles mailto:jaime%40robles.es>:

          > Did
          you tried
          > sudo apt-get update
          > apt-get install
          mysql-server

          mailto:tambeaud%40personainternet.com> wrote:

          >>> Hello John,
          >>> You might be on
          to something John. Here is what happens
          when I give the following command.
          >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

          Reading package lists..Done
          >>> Building dependency
          tree
          >>> Reading state information..Done
          >>> E: Unable
          to locate package mysql-server

          >>> So I thought that
          the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
          gave the following command.

          >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p

          And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.

          >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client*
          is installed. The server
          is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
          it even tries to connect to the server process.

          >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of
          find for people on here and
          none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
          anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
          mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
          there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
          can check by executing:

          >> sudo
          dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

          >> If it's not
          installed, it'll show something like:

          >> dpkg: no packages
          found matching mysql-server

          >> You might want to check to
          make sure your package lists are up to date by
          executing:

          >> sudo apt-get
          update

          >> and then try to install the mysql-server package
          again.

          >>> Thanks for your help.

          Don

          >> --
          >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)

          Xenotropic Systems

          href="mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com">mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com

        • Jaime Robles

            tambeaud@...> wrote:

            >>> Hello John,
            >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
            when I give the following command.
            >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
            >>> Reading package lists..Done
            >>> Building dependency tree
            >>> Reading state information..Done
            >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
            >>>
            >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
            gave the following command.

            >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
            >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
            >>
            >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
            is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
            it even tries to connect to the server process.

            >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
            none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
            anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
            mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
            there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
            can check by executing:

            >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
            >>
            >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
            >>
            >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
            >>
            >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
            executing:

            >> sudo apt-get update
            >>
            >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
            >>
            >>> Thanks for your help.
            >>> Don
            >>
            >> --
            >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
            >> Xenotropic Systems
            >> mcdermj@...

          • Donald J Tambeau
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013

              Yes I am using Raspbian with an 8 GB card.

              Don

              2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:

              > Did you tried
              > sudo apt-get update
              > apt-get install mysql-server
              >

              > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
              > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
              > mysql-server
              >
              > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
              >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
              tambeaud@...> wrote:

              >>> Hello John,
              >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
              when I give the following command.
              >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
              >>> Reading package lists..Done
              >>> Building dependency tree
              >>> Reading state information..Done
              >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
              >>>
              >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
              gave the following command.

              >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
              >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
              >>
              >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
              is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
              it even tries to connect to the server process.

              >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
              none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
              anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
              mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
              there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
              can check by executing:

              >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
              >>
              >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
              >>
              >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
              >>
              >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
              executing:

              >> sudo apt-get update
              >>
              >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
              >>
              >>> Thanks for your help.
              >>> Don
              >>
              >> --
              >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
              >> Xenotropic Systems
              >> mcdermj@...

            • Stan Grigaliunas
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 8, 2013
                Hi Don,

                Any progress?  I am still dead in the water.

                73
                Stan
                k8srb

                Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:35 AM

                Hello Stan,

                sudo find / -name setup-mysql

                got the No such file or directory and so did

                sudo find / -name mysql-setup

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 10, 2013
                  Don't know if this is useful, but not having a Pi/book with me today I can't check it out.

                  I downloaded the Wordpress .deb from http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/w/ & opened it (using an archive manager) and it contains the standard  3 files. Again open the data.tar.gz archive and under  ./usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ you'll find setup-mysql.gz

                  My assumption is that the file will be found at /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ on the SD and MAY require decompressing.

                  Feel free to heap scorn on my head if it's not there.

                  Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.