Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Eben Upton's Book "Raspberry PI User Guide"

  • Jeremy McDermond
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
      On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:

      > Hello John,
      > You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
      > Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
      > Reading package lists….Done
      > Building dependency tree
      > Reading state information….Done
      > E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
      >
      > So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
      >
      > Sudo mysql –uroot –p
      > And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

      No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.

      You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:

      sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

      If it's not installed, it'll show something like:

      dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server

      You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:

      sudo apt-get update

      and then try to install the mysql-server package again.

      --
      Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
      Xenotropic Systems
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
        Did you tried
        sudo apt-get update
        apt-get install mysql-server

        I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
        to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
        mysql-server

        2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
        > On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Hello John,
        >> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
        >> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
        >> Reading package lists….Done
        >> Building dependency tree
        >> Reading state information….Done
        >> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
        >>
        >> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
        >>
        >> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
        >> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
        >
        > No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
        >
        > You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
        >
        > sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
        >
        > If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
        >
        > dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
        >
        > You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
        >
        > sudo apt-get update
        >
        > and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
        >
        >> Thanks for your help.
        >> Don
        >
        > --
        > Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
        > Xenotropic Systems
        > mcdermj@...

      • Jaime Robles
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
          I have just noticed that it is not a problem of the mysql-server package...
          It is on the "wordpress" doc package
          (/usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql)
          Have you installed the wordpress package?

          I am installing the wordpress package just now... for a check...
          sudo apt-get install wordpress

          [... some minutes after ...]
          It installed MANY packages (as my raspbian installation was clean (I
          have my raspberry since last weekend!)) but I think I got the problem
          and... I have a solution.

          If you do:
          ls /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples

          You will see that the setup-mysql in gzipped... so you should uncompress it.
          gzip -d will do the job.
          Now, you should have the file you are looking for...

          I my case I enter:
          sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.34

          Then you have to modify the webserver configuration (if you did not do
          it already) to point to your wordpress installation (in
          /usr/share/wordpress).

          Create the DB, config the /etc/wordpress/config- file...

          Does it help?

          Jaime, EA4TV

          2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
          > Did you tried
          > sudo apt-get update
          > apt-get install mysql-server
          >

          > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
          > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
          > mysql-server
          >
          > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
          >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> Hello John,
          >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
          >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
          >>> Reading package lists….Done
          >>> Building dependency tree
          >>> Reading state information….Done
          >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
          >>>
          >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
          >>>
          >>> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
          >>> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
          >>
          >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
          >>
          >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
          >>
          >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
          >>
          >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
          >>
          >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
          >>
          >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
          >>
          >> sudo apt-get update
          >>
          >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
          >>
          >>> Thanks for your help.
          >>> Don
          >>
          >> --
          >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
          >> Xenotropic Systems
          >> mcdermj@...

        • Donald J Tambeau
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
            Hello Jeremy,
            I get the following message when I put your command: sudo dpdg
            --get-selections mysql-server I get the following.
            Sudo: dpkg--get-selections: command not found!

            I also ran sudo apt-get update I run this quite often.
            Thanks for your help
            Don

            --
            Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
            Xenotropic Systems
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
              Hello Jaime,

              Both of these were done long ago.
              sudo apt-get update
              apt-get install mysql-server

              also wordpress was installed long ago

              sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.110
              gets me.... setup-mysql: is a directory

              sudo gzip -d mysql-server I get
              gzip: mysql-server.gz no such file or directory.

              As you can see....I am very new to these Linux commands.
              Thanks for you help
              Don

              2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
              > Did you tried
              > sudo apt-get update
              > apt-get install mysql-server
              >

              > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
              > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
              > mysql-server
              >
              > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
              >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
              <tambeaud@...> wrote:

              >>> Hello John,
              >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
              when I give the following command.
              >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
              >>> Reading package lists..Done
              >>> Building dependency tree
              >>> Reading state information..Done
              >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
              >>>
              >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
              gave the following command.

              >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
              >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
              >>
              >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
              is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
              it even tries to connect to the server process.

              >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
              none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
              anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
              mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
              there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
              can check by executing:

              >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
              >>
              >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
              >>
              >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
              >>
              >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
              executing:

              >> sudo apt-get update
              >>
              >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
              >>
              >>> Thanks for your help.
              >>> Don
              >>
              >> --
              >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
              >> Xenotropic Systems
              >> mcdermj@...

            • Stan Grigaliunas
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                Don,

                I am also following the reflector with the same results as you.

                73
                Stan
                K8SRB

                2013/2/3 Jaime Robles mailto:jaime%40robles.es>:

                > Did
                you tried
                > sudo apt-get update
                > apt-get install
                mysql-server

                mailto:tambeaud%40personainternet.com> wrote:

                >>> Hello John,
                >>> You might be on
                to something John. Here is what happens
                when I give the following command.
                >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

                Reading package lists..Done
                >>> Building dependency
                tree
                >>> Reading state information..Done
                >>> E: Unable
                to locate package mysql-server

                >>> So I thought that
                the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                gave the following command.

                >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p

                And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.

                >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client*
                is installed. The server
                is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                it even tries to connect to the server process.

                >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of
                find for people on here and
                none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                can check by executing:

                >> sudo
                dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

                >> If it's not
                installed, it'll show something like:

                >> dpkg: no packages
                found matching mysql-server

                >> You might want to check to
                make sure your package lists are up to date by
                executing:

                >> sudo apt-get
                update

                >> and then try to install the mysql-server package
                again.

                >>> Thanks for your help.

                Don

                >> --
                >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)

                Xenotropic Systems

                href="mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com">mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com

              • Jaime Robles

                  2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:
                  > Did you tried
                  > sudo apt-get update
                  > apt-get install mysql-server
                  >

                  > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                  > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                  > mysql-server
                  >
                  > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                  >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                  tambeaud@...> wrote:

                  >>> Hello John,
                  >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                  when I give the following command.
                  >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                  >>> Reading package lists..Done
                  >>> Building dependency tree
                  >>> Reading state information..Done
                  >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                  >>>
                  >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                  gave the following command.

                  >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                  >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                  >>
                  >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                  is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                  it even tries to connect to the server process.

                  >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                  none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                  anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                  mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                  there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                  can check by executing:

                  >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                  >>
                  >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                  >>
                  >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                  >>
                  >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                  executing:

                  >> sudo apt-get update
                  >>
                  >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                  >>
                  >>> Thanks for your help.
                  >>> Don
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                  >> Xenotropic Systems
                  >> mcdermj@...

                • Donald J Tambeau
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013

                    Yes I am using Raspbian with an 8 GB card.

                    Don

                    2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:

                    > Did you tried
                    > sudo apt-get update
                    > apt-get install mysql-server
                    >

                    > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                    > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                    > mysql-server
                    >
                    > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                    >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                    tambeaud@...> wrote:

                    >>> Hello John,
                    >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                    when I give the following command.
                    >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                    >>> Reading package lists..Done
                    >>> Building dependency tree
                    >>> Reading state information..Done
                    >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                    >>>
                    >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                    gave the following command.

                    >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                    >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                    >>
                    >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                    is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                    it even tries to connect to the server process.

                    >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                    none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                    anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                    mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                    there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                    can check by executing:

                    >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                    >>
                    >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                    >>
                    >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                    >>
                    >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                    executing:

                    >> sudo apt-get update
                    >>
                    >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                    >>
                    >>> Thanks for your help.
                    >>> Don
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                    >> Xenotropic Systems
                    >> mcdermj@...

                  • Stan Grigaliunas
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 8, 2013
                      Hi Don,

                      Any progress?  I am still dead in the water.

                      73
                      Stan
                      k8srb

                      Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:35 AM

                      Hello Stan,

                      sudo find / -name setup-mysql

                      got the No such file or directory and so did

                      sudo find / -name mysql-setup

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 10, 2013
                        Don't know if this is useful, but not having a Pi/book with me today I can't check it out.

                        I downloaded the Wordpress .deb from http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/w/ & opened it (using an archive manager) and it contains the standard  3 files. Again open the data.tar.gz archive and under  ./usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ you'll find setup-mysql.gz

                        My assumption is that the file will be found at /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ on the SD and MAY require decompressing.

                        Feel free to heap scorn on my head if it's not there.

                        Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.