RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Eben Upton's Book "Raspberry PI User Guide"

  • Donald J Tambeau
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

      Hello John,

                    You might be on to something John.  Here is what happens when I give the following command.

      Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

      Reading package lists….Done

      Building dependency tree

      Reading state information….Done

      E: Unable to locate package mysql-server

      So I thought that the mysql was not  installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.

      Sudo mysql –uroot –p

      And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

      Thanks for your help.

      Don

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

        Hello Stan,

        sudo find / -name setup-mysql

        got the No such file or directory and so did

        sudo find / -name mysql-setup

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
          On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:

          > Hello John,
          > You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
          > Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
          > Reading package lists….Done
          > Building dependency tree
          > Reading state information….Done
          > E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
          >
          > So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
          >
          > Sudo mysql –uroot –p
          > And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

          No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.

          You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:

          sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

          If it's not installed, it'll show something like:

          dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server

          You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:

          sudo apt-get update

          and then try to install the mysql-server package again.

          --
          Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
          Xenotropic Systems
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
            Did you tried
            sudo apt-get update
            apt-get install mysql-server

            I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
            to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
            mysql-server

            2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
            > On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hello John,
            >> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
            >> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
            >> Reading package lists….Done
            >> Building dependency tree
            >> Reading state information….Done
            >> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
            >>
            >> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
            >>
            >> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
            >> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
            >
            > No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
            >
            > You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
            >
            > sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
            >
            > If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
            >
            > dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
            >
            > You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
            >
            > sudo apt-get update
            >
            > and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
            >
            >> Thanks for your help.
            >> Don
            >
            > --
            > Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
            > Xenotropic Systems
            > mcdermj@...

          • Jaime Robles
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
              I have just noticed that it is not a problem of the mysql-server package...
              It is on the "wordpress" doc package
              (/usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql)
              Have you installed the wordpress package?

              I am installing the wordpress package just now... for a check...
              sudo apt-get install wordpress

              [... some minutes after ...]
              It installed MANY packages (as my raspbian installation was clean (I
              have my raspberry since last weekend!)) but I think I got the problem
              and... I have a solution.

              If you do:
              ls /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples

              You will see that the setup-mysql in gzipped... so you should uncompress it.
              gzip -d will do the job.
              Now, you should have the file you are looking for...

              I my case I enter:
              sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.34

              Then you have to modify the webserver configuration (if you did not do
              it already) to point to your wordpress installation (in
              /usr/share/wordpress).

              Create the DB, config the /etc/wordpress/config- file...

              Does it help?

              Jaime, EA4TV

              2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
              > Did you tried
              > sudo apt-get update
              > apt-get install mysql-server
              >

              > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
              > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
              > mysql-server
              >
              > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
              >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> Hello John,
              >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
              >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
              >>> Reading package lists….Done
              >>> Building dependency tree
              >>> Reading state information….Done
              >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
              >>>
              >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
              >>>
              >>> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
              >>> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
              >>
              >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
              >>
              >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
              >>
              >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
              >>
              >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
              >>
              >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
              >>
              >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
              >>
              >> sudo apt-get update
              >>
              >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
              >>
              >>> Thanks for your help.
              >>> Don
              >>
              >> --
              >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
              >> Xenotropic Systems
              >> mcdermj@...

            • Donald J Tambeau
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                Hello Jeremy,
                I get the following message when I put your command: sudo dpdg
                --get-selections mysql-server I get the following.
                Sudo: dpkg--get-selections: command not found!

                I also ran sudo apt-get update I run this quite often.
                Thanks for your help
                Don

                --
                Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                Xenotropic Systems
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                  Hello Jaime,

                  Both of these were done long ago.
                  sudo apt-get update
                  apt-get install mysql-server

                  also wordpress was installed long ago

                  sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.110
                  gets me.... setup-mysql: is a directory

                  sudo gzip -d mysql-server I get
                  gzip: mysql-server.gz no such file or directory.

                  As you can see....I am very new to these Linux commands.
                  Thanks for you help
                  Don

                  2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
                  > Did you tried
                  > sudo apt-get update
                  > apt-get install mysql-server
                  >

                  > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                  > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                  > mysql-server
                  >
                  > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                  >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                  <tambeaud@...> wrote:

                  >>> Hello John,
                  >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                  when I give the following command.
                  >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                  >>> Reading package lists..Done
                  >>> Building dependency tree
                  >>> Reading state information..Done
                  >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                  >>>
                  >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                  gave the following command.

                  >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                  >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                  >>
                  >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                  is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                  it even tries to connect to the server process.

                  >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                  none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                  anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                  mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                  there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                  can check by executing:

                  >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                  >>
                  >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                  >>
                  >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                  >>
                  >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                  executing:

                  >> sudo apt-get update
                  >>
                  >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                  >>
                  >>> Thanks for your help.
                  >>> Don
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                  >> Xenotropic Systems
                  >> mcdermj@...

                • Stan Grigaliunas
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                    Don,

                    I am also following the reflector with the same results as you.

                    73
                    Stan
                    K8SRB

                    2013/2/3 Jaime Robles mailto:jaime%40robles.es>:

                    > Did
                    you tried
                    > sudo apt-get update
                    > apt-get install
                    mysql-server

                    mailto:tambeaud%40personainternet.com> wrote:

                    >>> Hello John,
                    >>> You might be on
                    to something John. Here is what happens
                    when I give the following command.
                    >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

                    Reading package lists..Done
                    >>> Building dependency
                    tree
                    >>> Reading state information..Done
                    >>> E: Unable
                    to locate package mysql-server

                    >>> So I thought that
                    the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                    gave the following command.

                    >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p

                    And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.

                    >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client*
                    is installed. The server
                    is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                    it even tries to connect to the server process.

                    >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of
                    find for people on here and
                    none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                    anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                    mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                    there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                    can check by executing:

                    >> sudo
                    dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

                    >> If it's not
                    installed, it'll show something like:

                    >> dpkg: no packages
                    found matching mysql-server

                    >> You might want to check to
                    make sure your package lists are up to date by
                    executing:

                    >> sudo apt-get
                    update

                    >> and then try to install the mysql-server package
                    again.

                    >>> Thanks for your help.

                    Don

                    >> --
                    >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)

                    Xenotropic Systems

                    href="mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com">mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com

                  • Jaime Robles

                      2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:
                      > Did you tried
                      > sudo apt-get update
                      > apt-get install mysql-server
                      >

                      > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                      > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                      > mysql-server
                      >
                      > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                      >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                      tambeaud@...> wrote:

                      >>> Hello John,
                      >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                      when I give the following command.
                      >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                      >>> Reading package lists..Done
                      >>> Building dependency tree
                      >>> Reading state information..Done
                      >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                      >>>
                      >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                      gave the following command.

                      >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                      >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                      >>
                      >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                      is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                      it even tries to connect to the server process.

                      >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                      none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                      anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                      mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                      there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                      can check by executing:

                      >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                      >>
                      >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                      >>
                      >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                      >>
                      >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                      executing:

                      >> sudo apt-get update
                      >>
                      >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                      >>
                      >>> Thanks for your help.
                      >>> Don
                      >>
                      >> --
                      >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                      >> Xenotropic Systems
                      >> mcdermj@...

                    • Donald J Tambeau
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013

                        Yes I am using Raspbian with an 8 GB card.

                        Don

                        2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:

                        > Did you tried
                        > sudo apt-get update
                        > apt-get install mysql-server
                        >

                        > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                        > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                        > mysql-server
                        >
                        > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                        >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                        tambeaud@...> wrote:

                        >>> Hello John,
                        >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                        when I give the following command.
                        >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                        >>> Reading package lists..Done
                        >>> Building dependency tree
                        >>> Reading state information..Done
                        >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                        >>>
                        >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                        gave the following command.

                        >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                        >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                        >>
                        >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                        is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                        it even tries to connect to the server process.

                        >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                        none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                        anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                        mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                        there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                        can check by executing:

                        >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                        >>
                        >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                        >>
                        >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                        >>
                        >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                        executing:

                        >> sudo apt-get update
                        >>
                        >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                        >>
                        >>> Thanks for your help.
                        >>> Don
                        >>
                        >> --
                        >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                        >> Xenotropic Systems
                        >> mcdermj@...

                      • Stan Grigaliunas
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 8, 2013
                          Hi Don,

                          Any progress?  I am still dead in the water.

                          73
                          Stan
                          k8srb

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 10, 2013
                            Don't know if this is useful, but not having a Pi/book with me today I can't check it out.

                            I downloaded the Wordpress .deb from http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/w/ & opened it (using an archive manager) and it contains the standard  3 files. Again open the data.tar.gz archive and under  ./usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ you'll find setup-mysql.gz

                            My assumption is that the file will be found at /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ on the SD and MAY require decompressing.

                            Feel free to heap scorn on my head if it's not there.

                            Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.