Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Eben Upton's Book "Raspberry PI User Guide"

  • JJ
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
      On 02/03/2013 04:13 AM, Jaime Robles wrote:

      You cab try

      sudo find / -name setup-mysql

      to find the file or directory, in case it exists and the install script is wrong.

      It may be that the script setup-mysql is there but it does not have exec permissions...
      Then chmod +x setup-mysql
      would help...

      My 2 cents :-)

      EA4TV

      El 03/02/2013 02:46, "Stan Grigaliunas" <k8srb@...> escribió:

      Don,

      I am also stuck on the same spot.  Was going great until now.

      Did you find the solution yet?

      Stan
      K8SRB

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

        Hello John,

                      You might be on to something John.  Here is what happens when I give the following command.

        Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

        Reading package lists….Done

        Building dependency tree

        Reading state information….Done

        E: Unable to locate package mysql-server

        So I thought that the mysql was not  installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.

        Sudo mysql –uroot –p

        And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

        Thanks for your help.

        Don

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

          Hello Stan,

          sudo find / -name setup-mysql

          got the No such file or directory and so did

          sudo find / -name mysql-setup

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
            On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:

            > Hello John,
            > You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
            > Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
            > Reading package lists….Done
            > Building dependency tree
            > Reading state information….Done
            > E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
            >
            > So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
            >
            > Sudo mysql –uroot –p
            > And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

            No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.

            You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:

            sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

            If it's not installed, it'll show something like:

            dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server

            You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:

            sudo apt-get update

            and then try to install the mysql-server package again.

            --
            Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
            Xenotropic Systems
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
              Did you tried
              sudo apt-get update
              apt-get install mysql-server

              I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
              to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
              mysql-server

              2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
              > On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hello John,
              >> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
              >> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
              >> Reading package lists….Done
              >> Building dependency tree
              >> Reading state information….Done
              >> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
              >>
              >> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
              >>
              >> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
              >> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
              >
              > No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
              >
              > You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
              >
              > sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
              >
              > If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
              >
              > dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
              >
              > You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
              >
              > sudo apt-get update
              >
              > and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
              >
              >> Thanks for your help.
              >> Don
              >
              > --
              > Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
              > Xenotropic Systems
              > mcdermj@...

            • Jaime Robles
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                I have just noticed that it is not a problem of the mysql-server package...
                It is on the "wordpress" doc package
                (/usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql)
                Have you installed the wordpress package?

                I am installing the wordpress package just now... for a check...
                sudo apt-get install wordpress

                [... some minutes after ...]
                It installed MANY packages (as my raspbian installation was clean (I
                have my raspberry since last weekend!)) but I think I got the problem
                and... I have a solution.

                If you do:
                ls /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples

                You will see that the setup-mysql in gzipped... so you should uncompress it.
                gzip -d will do the job.
                Now, you should have the file you are looking for...

                I my case I enter:
                sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.34

                Then you have to modify the webserver configuration (if you did not do
                it already) to point to your wordpress installation (in
                /usr/share/wordpress).

                Create the DB, config the /etc/wordpress/config- file...

                Does it help?

                Jaime, EA4TV

                2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
                > Did you tried
                > sudo apt-get update
                > apt-get install mysql-server
                >

                > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                > mysql-server
                >
                > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> Hello John,
                >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
                >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                >>> Reading package lists….Done
                >>> Building dependency tree
                >>> Reading state information….Done
                >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                >>>
                >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
                >>>
                >>> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
                >>> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
                >>
                >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
                >>
                >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
                >>
                >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                >>
                >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                >>
                >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                >>
                >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
                >>
                >> sudo apt-get update
                >>
                >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                >>
                >>> Thanks for your help.
                >>> Don
                >>
                >> --
                >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                >> Xenotropic Systems
                >> mcdermj@...

              • Donald J Tambeau
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                  Hello Jeremy,
                  I get the following message when I put your command: sudo dpdg
                  --get-selections mysql-server I get the following.
                  Sudo: dpkg--get-selections: command not found!

                  I also ran sudo apt-get update I run this quite often.
                  Thanks for your help
                  Don

                  --
                  Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                  Xenotropic Systems
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                    Hello Jaime,

                    Both of these were done long ago.
                    sudo apt-get update
                    apt-get install mysql-server

                    also wordpress was installed long ago

                    sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.110
                    gets me.... setup-mysql: is a directory

                    sudo gzip -d mysql-server I get
                    gzip: mysql-server.gz no such file or directory.

                    As you can see....I am very new to these Linux commands.
                    Thanks for you help
                    Don

                    2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
                    > Did you tried
                    > sudo apt-get update
                    > apt-get install mysql-server
                    >

                    > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                    > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                    > mysql-server
                    >
                    > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                    >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                    <tambeaud@...> wrote:

                    >>> Hello John,
                    >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                    when I give the following command.
                    >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                    >>> Reading package lists..Done
                    >>> Building dependency tree
                    >>> Reading state information..Done
                    >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                    >>>
                    >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                    gave the following command.

                    >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                    >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                    >>
                    >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                    is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                    it even tries to connect to the server process.

                    >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                    none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                    anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                    mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                    there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                    can check by executing:

                    >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                    >>
                    >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                    >>
                    >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                    >>
                    >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                    executing:

                    >> sudo apt-get update
                    >>
                    >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                    >>
                    >>> Thanks for your help.
                    >>> Don
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                    >> Xenotropic Systems
                    >> mcdermj@...

                  • Stan Grigaliunas
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                      Don,

                      I am also following the reflector with the same results as you.

                      73
                      Stan
                      K8SRB

                      2013/2/3 Jaime Robles mailto:jaime%40robles.es>:

                      > Did
                      you tried
                      > sudo apt-get update
                      > apt-get install
                      mysql-server

                      mailto:tambeaud%40personainternet.com> wrote:

                      >>> Hello John,
                      >>> You might be on
                      to something John. Here is what happens
                      when I give the following command.
                      >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

                      Reading package lists..Done
                      >>> Building dependency
                      tree
                      >>> Reading state information..Done
                      >>> E: Unable
                      to locate package mysql-server

                      >>> So I thought that
                      the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                      gave the following command.

                      >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p

                      And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.

                      >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client*
                      is installed. The server
                      is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                      it even tries to connect to the server process.

                      >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of
                      find for people on here and
                      none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                      anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                      mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                      there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                      can check by executing:

                      >> sudo
                      dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

                      >> If it's not
                      installed, it'll show something like:

                      >> dpkg: no packages
                      found matching mysql-server

                      >> You might want to check to
                      make sure your package lists are up to date by
                      executing:

                      >> sudo apt-get
                      update

                      >> and then try to install the mysql-server package
                      again.

                      >>> Thanks for your help.

                      Don

                      >> --
                      >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)

                      Xenotropic Systems

                      href="mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com">mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com

                    • Jaime Robles

                        2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:
                        > Did you tried
                        > sudo apt-get update
                        > apt-get install mysql-server
                        >

                        > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                        > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                        > mysql-server
                        >
                        > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                        >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                        tambeaud@...> wrote:

                        >>> Hello John,
                        >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                        when I give the following command.
                        >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                        >>> Reading package lists..Done
                        >>> Building dependency tree
                        >>> Reading state information..Done
                        >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                        >>>
                        >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                        gave the following command.

                        >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                        >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                        >>
                        >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                        is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                        it even tries to connect to the server process.

                        >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                        none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                        anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                        mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                        there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                        can check by executing:

                        >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                        >>
                        >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                        >>
                        >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                        >>
                        >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                        executing:

                        >> sudo apt-get update
                        >>
                        >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                        >>
                        >>> Thanks for your help.
                        >>> Don
                        >>
                        >> --
                        >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                        >> Xenotropic Systems
                        >> mcdermj@...

                      • Donald J Tambeau
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013

                          Yes I am using Raspbian with an 8 GB card.

                          Don

                          2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:

                          > Did you tried
                          > sudo apt-get update
                          > apt-get install mysql-server
                          >

                          > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                          > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                          > mysql-server
                          >
                          > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                          >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                          tambeaud@...> wrote:

                          >>> Hello John,
                          >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                          when I give the following command.
                          >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                          >>> Reading package lists..Done
                          >>> Building dependency tree
                          >>> Reading state information..Done
                          >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                          >>>
                          >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                          gave the following command.

                          >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                          >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                          >>
                          >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                          is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                          it even tries to connect to the server process.

                          >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                          none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                          anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                          mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                          there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                          can check by executing:

                          >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                          >>
                          >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                          >>
                          >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                          >>
                          >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                          executing:

                          >> sudo apt-get update
                          >>
                          >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                          >>
                          >>> Thanks for your help.
                          >>> Don
                          >>
                          >> --
                          >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                          >> Xenotropic Systems
                          >> mcdermj@...

                        • Stan Grigaliunas
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 8, 2013
                            Hi Don,

                            Any progress?  I am still dead in the water.

                            73
                            Stan
                            k8srb

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 10, 2013
                              Don't know if this is useful, but not having a Pi/book with me today I can't check it out.

                              I downloaded the Wordpress .deb from http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/w/ & opened it (using an archive manager) and it contains the standard  3 files. Again open the data.tar.gz archive and under  ./usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ you'll find setup-mysql.gz

                              My assumption is that the file will be found at /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ on the SD and MAY require decompressing.

                              Feel free to heap scorn on my head if it's not there.

                              Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.