Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Eben Upton's Book "Raspberry PI User Guide"

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013
      Did you install mysql server?

      On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Stan Grigaliunas <k8srb@...> wrote:

      Don,

      I am also stuck on the same spot.  Was going great until now.

      Did you find the solution yet?

      Stan
      K8SRB

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

        You cab try

        sudo find / -name setup-mysql

        to find the file or directory, in case it exists and the install script is wrong.

        It may be that the script setup-mysql is there but it does not have exec permissions...
        Then chmod +x setup-mysql
        would help...

        My 2 cents :-)

        EA4TV

        El 03/02/2013 02:46, "Stan Grigaliunas" <k8srb@...> escribió:

        Don,

        I am also stuck on the same spot.  Was going great until now.

        Did you find the solution yet?

        Stan
        K8SRB

          I am up to Chapter 9, "The Pi as a Web Server" in Eben's book and I have run into a problem Installing WordPress. When I put the following command: "sudo bash /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql -n wordpress localhost" I get the following error..
          bash: /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql: No such file or directory.
          If anybody is using the same book and has run into the same problem, how have you solve it.
          Thank you.
          Don
          VE3HOL

          Can you perhaps try the same command I use in linux to find that? eg: sudo updatedb, then "sudo locate (filename)"???

        • Donald J Tambeau
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

            Hello John,

                          You might be on to something John.  Here is what happens when I give the following command.

            Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

            Reading package lists….Done

            Building dependency tree

            Reading state information….Done

            E: Unable to locate package mysql-server

            So I thought that the mysql was not  installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.

            Sudo mysql –uroot –p

            And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

            Thanks for your help.

            Don

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

              Hello Stan,

              sudo find / -name setup-mysql

              got the No such file or directory and so did

              sudo find / -name mysql-setup

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:

                > Hello John,
                > You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
                > Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                > Reading package lists….Done
                > Building dependency tree
                > Reading state information….Done
                > E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                >
                > So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
                >
                > Sudo mysql –uroot –p
                > And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

                No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.

                You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:

                sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

                If it's not installed, it'll show something like:

                dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server

                You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:

                sudo apt-get update

                and then try to install the mysql-server package again.

                --
                Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                Xenotropic Systems
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                  Did you tried
                  sudo apt-get update
                  apt-get install mysql-server

                  I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                  to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                  mysql-server

                  2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                  > On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hello John,
                  >> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
                  >> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                  >> Reading package lists….Done
                  >> Building dependency tree
                  >> Reading state information….Done
                  >> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                  >>
                  >> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
                  >>
                  >> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
                  >> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
                  >
                  > No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
                  >
                  > You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
                  >
                  > sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                  >
                  > If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                  >
                  > dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                  >
                  > You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
                  >
                  > sudo apt-get update
                  >
                  > and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                  >
                  >> Thanks for your help.
                  >> Don
                  >
                  > --
                  > Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                  > Xenotropic Systems
                  > mcdermj@...

                • Jaime Robles
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                    I have just noticed that it is not a problem of the mysql-server package...
                    It is on the "wordpress" doc package
                    (/usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql)
                    Have you installed the wordpress package?

                    I am installing the wordpress package just now... for a check...
                    sudo apt-get install wordpress

                    [... some minutes after ...]
                    It installed MANY packages (as my raspbian installation was clean (I
                    have my raspberry since last weekend!)) but I think I got the problem
                    and... I have a solution.

                    If you do:
                    ls /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples

                    You will see that the setup-mysql in gzipped... so you should uncompress it.
                    gzip -d will do the job.
                    Now, you should have the file you are looking for...

                    I my case I enter:
                    sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.34

                    Then you have to modify the webserver configuration (if you did not do
                    it already) to point to your wordpress installation (in
                    /usr/share/wordpress).

                    Create the DB, config the /etc/wordpress/config- file...

                    Does it help?

                    Jaime, EA4TV

                    2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
                    > Did you tried
                    > sudo apt-get update
                    > apt-get install mysql-server
                    >

                    > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                    > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                    > mysql-server
                    >
                    > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                    >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Hello John,
                    >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
                    >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                    >>> Reading package lists….Done
                    >>> Building dependency tree
                    >>> Reading state information….Done
                    >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                    >>>
                    >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
                    >>>
                    >>> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
                    >>> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
                    >>
                    >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
                    >>
                    >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
                    >>
                    >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                    >>
                    >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                    >>
                    >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                    >>
                    >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
                    >>
                    >> sudo apt-get update
                    >>
                    >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                    >>
                    >>> Thanks for your help.
                    >>> Don
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                    >> Xenotropic Systems
                    >> mcdermj@...

                  • Donald J Tambeau
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                      Hello Jeremy,
                      I get the following message when I put your command: sudo dpdg
                      --get-selections mysql-server I get the following.
                      Sudo: dpkg--get-selections: command not found!

                      I also ran sudo apt-get update I run this quite often.
                      Thanks for your help
                      Don

                      --
                      Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                      Xenotropic Systems
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                        Hello Jaime,

                        Both of these were done long ago.
                        sudo apt-get update
                        apt-get install mysql-server

                        also wordpress was installed long ago

                        sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.110
                        gets me.... setup-mysql: is a directory

                        sudo gzip -d mysql-server I get
                        gzip: mysql-server.gz no such file or directory.

                        As you can see....I am very new to these Linux commands.
                        Thanks for you help
                        Don

                        2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
                        > Did you tried
                        > sudo apt-get update
                        > apt-get install mysql-server
                        >

                        > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                        > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                        > mysql-server
                        >
                        > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                        >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                        <tambeaud@...> wrote:

                        >>> Hello John,
                        >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                        when I give the following command.
                        >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                        >>> Reading package lists..Done
                        >>> Building dependency tree
                        >>> Reading state information..Done
                        >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                        >>>
                        >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                        gave the following command.

                        >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                        >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                        >>
                        >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                        is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                        it even tries to connect to the server process.

                        >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                        none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                        anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                        mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                        there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                        can check by executing:

                        >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                        >>
                        >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                        >>
                        >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                        >>
                        >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                        executing:

                        >> sudo apt-get update
                        >>
                        >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                        >>
                        >>> Thanks for your help.
                        >>> Don
                        >>
                        >> --
                        >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                        >> Xenotropic Systems
                        >> mcdermj@...

                      • Stan Grigaliunas
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                          Don,

                          I am also following the reflector with the same results as you.

                          73
                          Stan
                          K8SRB

                          2013/2/3 Jaime Robles mailto:jaime%40robles.es>:

                          > Did
                          you tried
                          > sudo apt-get update
                          > apt-get install
                          mysql-server

                          mailto:tambeaud%40personainternet.com> wrote:

                          >>> Hello John,
                          >>> You might be on
                          to something John. Here is what happens
                          when I give the following command.
                          >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

                          Reading package lists..Done
                          >>> Building dependency
                          tree
                          >>> Reading state information..Done
                          >>> E: Unable
                          to locate package mysql-server

                          >>> So I thought that
                          the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                          gave the following command.

                          >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p

                          And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.

                          >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client*
                          is installed. The server
                          is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                          it even tries to connect to the server process.

                          >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of
                          find for people on here and
                          none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                          anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                          mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                          there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                          can check by executing:

                          >> sudo
                          dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

                          >> If it's not
                          installed, it'll show something like:

                          >> dpkg: no packages
                          found matching mysql-server

                          >> You might want to check to
                          make sure your package lists are up to date by
                          executing:

                          >> sudo apt-get
                          update

                          >> and then try to install the mysql-server package
                          again.

                          >>> Thanks for your help.

                          Don

                          >> --
                          >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)

                          Xenotropic Systems

                          href="mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com">mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com

                        • Jaime Robles

                            2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:
                            > Did you tried
                            > sudo apt-get update
                            > apt-get install mysql-server
                            >

                            > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                            > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                            > mysql-server
                            >
                            > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                            >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                            tambeaud@...> wrote:

                            >>> Hello John,
                            >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                            when I give the following command.
                            >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                            >>> Reading package lists..Done
                            >>> Building dependency tree
                            >>> Reading state information..Done
                            >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                            >>>
                            >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                            gave the following command.

                            >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                            >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                            >>
                            >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                            is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                            it even tries to connect to the server process.

                            >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                            none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                            anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                            mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                            there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                            can check by executing:

                            >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                            >>
                            >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                            >>
                            >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                            >>
                            >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                            executing:

                            >> sudo apt-get update
                            >>
                            >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                            >>
                            >>> Thanks for your help.
                            >>> Don
                            >>
                            >> --
                            >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                            >> Xenotropic Systems
                            >> mcdermj@...

                          • Donald J Tambeau
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013

                              Yes I am using Raspbian with an 8 GB card.

                              Don

                              2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:

                              > Did you tried
                              > sudo apt-get update
                              > apt-get install mysql-server
                              >

                              > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                              > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                              > mysql-server
                              >
                              > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                              >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                              tambeaud@...> wrote:

                              >>> Hello John,
                              >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                              when I give the following command.
                              >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                              >>> Reading package lists..Done
                              >>> Building dependency tree
                              >>> Reading state information..Done
                              >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                              >>>
                              >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                              gave the following command.

                              >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                              >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                              >>
                              >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                              is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                              it even tries to connect to the server process.

                              >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                              none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                              anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                              mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                              there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                              can check by executing:

                              >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                              >>
                              >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                              >>
                              >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                              >>
                              >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                              executing:

                              >> sudo apt-get update
                              >>
                              >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                              >>
                              >>> Thanks for your help.
                              >>> Don
                              >>
                              >> --
                              >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                              >> Xenotropic Systems
                              >> mcdermj@...

                            • Stan Grigaliunas
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 8, 2013
                                Hi Don,

                                Any progress?  I am still dead in the water.

                                73
                                Stan
                                k8srb

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 10, 2013
                                  Don't know if this is useful, but not having a Pi/book with me today I can't check it out.

                                  I downloaded the Wordpress .deb from http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/w/ & opened it (using an archive manager) and it contains the standard  3 files. Again open the data.tar.gz archive and under  ./usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ you'll find setup-mysql.gz

                                  My assumption is that the file will be found at /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ on the SD and MAY require decompressing.

                                  Feel free to heap scorn on my head if it's not there.

                                  Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.