Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Eben Upton's Book "Raspberry PI User Guide"

  • Vincent
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013
      Did it ask you to run

      configure

      make

      make install

      ? It seems like you didn't run make install since it can't find the setup program.
      --

      Vincent Tompkins
      n2ohh@...
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013
        Don,

        I am also stuck on the same spot.  Was going great until now.

        Did you find the solution yet?

        Stan
        K8SRB

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013

          Hello Stan,

                        No solution yet….if I find a solution I will post it.

          Don

          VE3HOL

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

              You cab try

              sudo find / -name setup-mysql

              to find the file or directory, in case it exists and the install script is wrong.

              It may be that the script setup-mysql is there but it does not have exec permissions...
              Then chmod +x setup-mysql
              would help...

              My 2 cents :-)

              EA4TV

              El 03/02/2013 02:46, "Stan Grigaliunas" <k8srb@...> escribió:

              Don,

              I am also stuck on the same spot.  Was going great until now.

              Did you find the solution yet?

              Stan
              K8SRB

                I am up to Chapter 9, "The Pi as a Web Server" in Eben's book and I have run into a problem Installing WordPress. When I put the following command: "sudo bash /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql -n wordpress localhost" I get the following error..
                bash: /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql: No such file or directory.
                If anybody is using the same book and has run into the same problem, how have you solve it.
                Thank you.
                Don
                VE3HOL

                Can you perhaps try the same command I use in linux to find that? eg: sudo updatedb, then "sudo locate (filename)"???

              • Donald J Tambeau
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

                  Hello John,

                                You might be on to something John.  Here is what happens when I give the following command.

                  Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

                  Reading package lists….Done

                  Building dependency tree

                  Reading state information….Done

                  E: Unable to locate package mysql-server

                  So I thought that the mysql was not  installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.

                  Sudo mysql –uroot –p

                  And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

                  Thanks for your help.

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

                    Hello Stan,

                    sudo find / -name setup-mysql

                    got the No such file or directory and so did

                    sudo find / -name mysql-setup

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                      On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:

                      > Hello John,
                      > You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
                      > Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                      > Reading package lists….Done
                      > Building dependency tree
                      > Reading state information….Done
                      > E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                      >
                      > So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
                      >
                      > Sudo mysql –uroot –p
                      > And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

                      No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.

                      You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:

                      sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

                      If it's not installed, it'll show something like:

                      dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server

                      You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:

                      sudo apt-get update

                      and then try to install the mysql-server package again.

                      --
                      Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                      Xenotropic Systems
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                        Did you tried
                        sudo apt-get update
                        apt-get install mysql-server

                        I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                        to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                        mysql-server

                        2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                        > On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Hello John,
                        >> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
                        >> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                        >> Reading package lists….Done
                        >> Building dependency tree
                        >> Reading state information….Done
                        >> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                        >>
                        >> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
                        >>
                        >> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
                        >> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
                        >
                        > No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
                        >
                        > You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
                        >
                        > sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                        >
                        > If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                        >
                        > dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                        >
                        > You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
                        >
                        > sudo apt-get update
                        >
                        > and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                        >
                        >> Thanks for your help.
                        >> Don
                        >
                        > --
                        > Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                        > Xenotropic Systems
                        > mcdermj@...

                      • Jaime Robles
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                          I have just noticed that it is not a problem of the mysql-server package...
                          It is on the "wordpress" doc package
                          (/usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql)
                          Have you installed the wordpress package?

                          I am installing the wordpress package just now... for a check...
                          sudo apt-get install wordpress

                          [... some minutes after ...]
                          It installed MANY packages (as my raspbian installation was clean (I
                          have my raspberry since last weekend!)) but I think I got the problem
                          and... I have a solution.

                          If you do:
                          ls /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples

                          You will see that the setup-mysql in gzipped... so you should uncompress it.
                          gzip -d will do the job.
                          Now, you should have the file you are looking for...

                          I my case I enter:
                          sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.34

                          Then you have to modify the webserver configuration (if you did not do
                          it already) to point to your wordpress installation (in
                          /usr/share/wordpress).

                          Create the DB, config the /etc/wordpress/config- file...

                          Does it help?

                          Jaime, EA4TV

                          2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
                          > Did you tried
                          > sudo apt-get update
                          > apt-get install mysql-server
                          >

                          > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                          > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                          > mysql-server
                          >
                          > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                          >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Hello John,
                          >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
                          >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                          >>> Reading package lists….Done
                          >>> Building dependency tree
                          >>> Reading state information….Done
                          >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                          >>>
                          >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
                          >>>
                          >>> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
                          >>> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
                          >>
                          >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
                          >>
                          >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
                          >>
                          >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                          >>
                          >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                          >>
                          >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                          >>
                          >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
                          >>
                          >> sudo apt-get update
                          >>
                          >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                          >>
                          >>> Thanks for your help.
                          >>> Don
                          >>
                          >> --
                          >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                          >> Xenotropic Systems
                          >> mcdermj@...

                        • Donald J Tambeau
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                            Hello Jeremy,
                            I get the following message when I put your command: sudo dpdg
                            --get-selections mysql-server I get the following.
                            Sudo: dpkg--get-selections: command not found!

                            I also ran sudo apt-get update I run this quite often.
                            Thanks for your help
                            Don

                            --
                            Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                            Xenotropic Systems
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                              Hello Jaime,

                              Both of these were done long ago.
                              sudo apt-get update
                              apt-get install mysql-server

                              also wordpress was installed long ago

                              sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.110
                              gets me.... setup-mysql: is a directory

                              sudo gzip -d mysql-server I get
                              gzip: mysql-server.gz no such file or directory.

                              As you can see....I am very new to these Linux commands.
                              Thanks for you help
                              Don

                              2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
                              > Did you tried
                              > sudo apt-get update
                              > apt-get install mysql-server
                              >

                              > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                              > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                              > mysql-server
                              >
                              > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                              >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                              <tambeaud@...> wrote:

                              >>> Hello John,
                              >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                              when I give the following command.
                              >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                              >>> Reading package lists..Done
                              >>> Building dependency tree
                              >>> Reading state information..Done
                              >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                              >>>
                              >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                              gave the following command.

                              >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                              >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                              >>
                              >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                              is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                              it even tries to connect to the server process.

                              >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                              none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                              anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                              mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                              there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                              can check by executing:

                              >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                              >>
                              >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                              >>
                              >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                              >>
                              >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                              executing:

                              >> sudo apt-get update
                              >>
                              >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                              >>
                              >>> Thanks for your help.
                              >>> Don
                              >>
                              >> --
                              >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                              >> Xenotropic Systems
                              >> mcdermj@...

                            • Stan Grigaliunas
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                                Don,

                                I am also following the reflector with the same results as you.

                                73
                                Stan
                                K8SRB

                                2013/2/3 Jaime Robles mailto:jaime%40robles.es>:

                                > Did
                                you tried
                                > sudo apt-get update
                                > apt-get install
                                mysql-server

                                mailto:tambeaud%40personainternet.com> wrote:

                                >>> Hello John,
                                >>> You might be on
                                to something John. Here is what happens
                                when I give the following command.
                                >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

                                Reading package lists..Done
                                >>> Building dependency
                                tree
                                >>> Reading state information..Done
                                >>> E: Unable
                                to locate package mysql-server

                                >>> So I thought that
                                the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                                gave the following command.

                                >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p

                                And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.

                                >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client*
                                is installed. The server
                                is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                                it even tries to connect to the server process.

                                >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of
                                find for people on here and
                                none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                                anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                                mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                                there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                                can check by executing:

                                >> sudo
                                dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

                                >> If it's not
                                installed, it'll show something like:

                                >> dpkg: no packages
                                found matching mysql-server

                                >> You might want to check to
                                make sure your package lists are up to date by
                                executing:

                                >> sudo apt-get
                                update

                                >> and then try to install the mysql-server package
                                again.

                                >>> Thanks for your help.

                                Don

                                >> --
                                >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)

                                Xenotropic Systems

                                href="mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com">mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com

                              • Jaime Robles

                                  2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:
                                  > Did you tried
                                  > sudo apt-get update
                                  > apt-get install mysql-server
                                  >

                                  > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                                  > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                                  > mysql-server
                                  >
                                  > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                                  >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                                  tambeaud@...> wrote:

                                  >>> Hello John,
                                  >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                                  when I give the following command.
                                  >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                                  >>> Reading package lists..Done
                                  >>> Building dependency tree
                                  >>> Reading state information..Done
                                  >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                                  >>>
                                  >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                                  gave the following command.

                                  >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                                  >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                                  >>
                                  >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                                  is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                                  it even tries to connect to the server process.

                                  >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                                  none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                                  anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                                  mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                                  there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                                  can check by executing:

                                  >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                                  >>
                                  >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                                  >>
                                  >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                                  >>
                                  >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                                  executing:

                                  >> sudo apt-get update
                                  >>
                                  >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                                  >>
                                  >>> Thanks for your help.
                                  >>> Don
                                  >>
                                  >> --
                                  >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                                  >> Xenotropic Systems
                                  >> mcdermj@...

                                • Donald J Tambeau
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013

                                    Yes I am using Raspbian with an 8 GB card.

                                    Don

                                    2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:

                                    > Did you tried
                                    > sudo apt-get update
                                    > apt-get install mysql-server
                                    >

                                    > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                                    > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                                    > mysql-server
                                    >
                                    > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                                    >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                                    tambeaud@...> wrote:

                                    >>> Hello John,
                                    >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                                    when I give the following command.
                                    >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                                    >>> Reading package lists..Done
                                    >>> Building dependency tree
                                    >>> Reading state information..Done
                                    >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                                    >>>
                                    >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                                    gave the following command.

                                    >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                                    >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                                    >>
                                    >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                                    is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                                    it even tries to connect to the server process.

                                    >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                                    none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                                    anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                                    mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                                    there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                                    can check by executing:

                                    >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                                    >>
                                    >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                                    >>
                                    >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                                    >>
                                    >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                                    executing:

                                    >> sudo apt-get update
                                    >>
                                    >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                                    >>
                                    >>> Thanks for your help.
                                    >>> Don
                                    >>
                                    >> --
                                    >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                                    >> Xenotropic Systems
                                    >> mcdermj@...

                                  • Stan Grigaliunas
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 8, 2013
                                      Hi Don,

                                      Any progress?  I am still dead in the water.

                                      73
                                      Stan
                                      k8srb

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 10, 2013
                                        Don't know if this is useful, but not having a Pi/book with me today I can't check it out.

                                        I downloaded the Wordpress .deb from http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/w/ & opened it (using an archive manager) and it contains the standard  3 files. Again open the data.tar.gz archive and under  ./usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ you'll find setup-mysql.gz

                                        My assumption is that the file will be found at /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ on the SD and MAY require decompressing.

                                        Feel free to heap scorn on my head if it's not there.

                                        Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.