Welcome

  • Jerome K
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
      I see we are up to 27 members..

      Please post something about yourselves and what you plan for your Raspberry Pi projects or what interests you about the Raspberry Pi..

      Thanks have a nice day..

      73
    • J FLETCHER
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 23, 2012
        Hi All!

        Just a few lines to tell you what I'm up to.

        Having mixed results with my Raspberry Pi.

        A colleague helped me to load my OS insto a 4Gb SD-HC card. I was having problems because the card slot in my laptop was only good for SD, not SD-HC. Once we'd sorted that out and used an external card reader/writer the OS went in OK.

        Andrew then told me that we should connect it to the Internet before powering it for the first time. So, with everything connected (composite video monitor to the phono socket) we fired it up and it worked! Andrew went through the initial set-up, downloaded any available updates and made it go to the desktop every time it's switched on. So far, so good!

        Back at home I tried using it with the HDMI input on our oldish LCD TV. It isn't Full HD and the text at start-up is incredibly small and hard to read. When the desktop appears the icons are small, too. Connecting the same TV via the phono socket the text and icons are a reasonable size, but the bottom of the picture is lost ("off the screen"). This makes playing some of the Python games impossible. I was able to browse the web, though. I've also downloaded Geany, Python and Xterm following the instructions on a YouTube tutorial.

        Yesterday (Andrew on holiday) I decided to load the OS into an 8Gb card I had spare. That went OK. Last night I went through the same set-up procedure but didn't want it to go automatically to the desktop. I downloaded Geany, Python and Xterm again (so the Internet connection is working). After doing this I found it was asking for a password, and I hadn't set one. Now I'm locked out of it and I think I'll have to reload the OS.

        Going back to the previous card, I find I can't access the Internet with it (not found). Grrrr....

        I've ordered an HDMI to VGA converter which I hope will give me a good, complete picture on my PC's monitor. It cost more than the Pi so it had better work! I've also ordered ten 26-way IDC sockets, five 26-way box headers and 100 feet of 26-way ribbon cable so when I know what I'm doing I'll be able to try interfacing the Pi to something - 100 feet away. No, I'll make a batch of leads for myself and others to play with.

        I'll let you know when I make any more "progress".

        73,

        John G4EDX
        Nottingham, England
      • J FLETCHER
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 23, 2012

          Hi again,

          Having somehow locked myself out of the second OS installation (it's demanding a password, which I didn't set) I decided to format the 8Gb card and reinstall the OS. My laptop now reports that it's a 55.8Mb card. Any suggestions?

          My box of bits arrived yesterday. The HDMI-to-VGA converter works a treat. I can read all the text on the computer's monitor (when it's not moving too quickly) and have a full view of the games screens.

          The 26-way connectors and cable arrived too, so I can start making leads for the P1 GPIO header. First job; flash an LED. Second job; flash it in Morse!

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012

            John,

            The default user/password for the standard PI distributions (wheezy and raspbian) are pi/raspberry. You can’t log in as root, unless you set a root password, via sudo passwd. Sudo doesn’t need a password.

            The SD card has a small boot partition, formatted as a FAT partition, so can be seen by windows. The rest is ext4, which windows can’t see, So a freshly loaded image appears to windows as around 55 MB. When first booted, it will only use the first 2 GB. The first time you log in it should run a utility raspi-config, which allows you to resize the root partition to fill the card.

            My main interest is in using the pi as a packet node. The prototype TNC is shown on the front page of this group. This is a standard TNC-X, with a bit of stripboard superglued to the edge to carry a 26 way connector. I’ve designed a board with the connector on board, and the same size as the pi. I’m waiting for the boards to come back from the PCB factory. The board is stackable, so more than one TNC can be connected, and uses the i2c bus to communicate with the pi.

            From another John in Nottingham ,

            73, John G8BPQ

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
              Hello John,

              Thanks very much for the explanation. I'm not sure whether I can overwrite what's on the card with a new installation of the OS, or whether I should load Linux into an old PC to get at it that way, or just buy another SD card. Last option is quick but not very educational. I'm a Linux novice and not finding it at all intuitive. Can you recommend any literature?

              I'm interested in your packet node project. I have a KPC3 (bought new) and a KAM (bought at a rally for £25 - bargain!) but never got into packet radio when it was new, which I now regret. I have VHF radios and laptops to spare, so I ought to try again.

              That's a long-established callsign. 1970? Mine dates from June 75.

              73,

              John G4EDX in Woodthorpe

[...]

              From another John in Nottingham ,

              73, John G8BPQ

              Having somehow locked myself out of the second OS installation (it's demanding a password, which I didn't set) I decided to format the 8Gb card and reinstall the OS. My laptop now reports that it's a 55.8Mb card. Any suggestions?

              My box of bits arrived yesterday. The HDMI-to-VGA converter works a treat. I can read all the text on the computer's monitor (when it's not moving too quickly) and have a full view of the games screens.

              The 26-way connectors and cable arrived too, so I can start making leads for the P1 GPIO header. First job; flash an LED. Second job; flash it in Morse!

            • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
                You can reload the OS over and over and over if need be... Simply use something like Win32 Disk Imager.

                Jerry Kutche
                Electrical Supervisor

                Lehigh Cement Company LLC
                180 N. Meridian Road
                Mitchell, IN  47446
                Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
                Fax:  (812) 849-5007
                Cell: (812) 583-0445
                jkutche@...
                www.lehighcement.com

                This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

[...]

                From another John in Nottingham ,

                73, John G8BPQ

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
                    Hi All...  I have 4 here waiting for me to specify what projects I want to try on, what I have two that have 8GB cards and 2 that have 16 GB Cards..

                    Beware you must read the compatability list to avoid obtaining periferals that do not work or do not work well. Do not just grab some of a store shelf thinking they will work.. They may, they may not...

                     73 Jerry n9lya

                  • Jim
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
                      Flash cards will probably work you may need to format them as ext2. Windoze will not see that partition though.

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      =

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                          Hi John,

                          I am using the Debian wheezy image and found the screen to small

                          http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5021

                          This shows settings for the configuration file
                          I plugged my card into windows machine and edited with programmer's file editor which recognise linux end of line unlike notepad.

                          Select a lower resolution for larger text and try different settings to get a full screen.

                          If you want more on this I'll post my file so you can see the changes I made. I assume these settings are valid for various versions of the operating system not just debian.

                          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, J FLETCHER <jfletcher427@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All!
                          >
                          > Just a few lines to tell you what I'm up to.
                          >
                          > Back at home I tried using it with the HDMI input on our oldish LCD TV. It isn't Full HD and the text at start-up is incredibly small and hard to read. When the desktop appears the icons are small, too. Connecting the same TV via the phono socket the text and icons are a reasonable size, but the bottom of the picture is lost ("off the screen"). This makes playing some of the Python games impossible. I was able to browse the web, though. I've also downloaded Geany, Python and Xterm following the instructions on a YouTube tutorial.
                          >
                          > John G4EDX
                          > Nottingham, England

                        • J FLETCHER
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                            Thanks very much, I'll try that when I have a few minutes to play.