Eben Upton's Book "Raspberry PI User Guide"

  • Donald
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2013
      I am up to Chapter 9, "The Pi as a Web Server" in Eben's book and I have run into a problem Installing WordPress. When I put the following command: "sudo bash /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql -n wordpress localhost" I get the following error..
      bash: /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql: No such file or directory.
      If anybody is using the same book and has run into the same problem, how have you solve it.
      Thank you.
      Don
      VE3HOL
    • Vincent
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013
        > /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql
        Does the file exist and do you have permission to access/modify the file?
        Which user are you running as?

        --

        Vincent Tompkins
        n2ohh@...
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013
          sometimes things get installed in different places, at least that hs been my experience over time.

          HAve tried seaching for the file:

          find / -name setup-mysql

          or try making the name in the find shorter with a wildcard:   setup*

          > /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql
          Does the file exist and do you have permission to access/modify the file?
          Which user are you running as?

          --

          Vincent Tompkins
          n2ohh@...

        • Donald J Tambeau
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013

            I am running as Pi.   I have use the Sudo command all along.  The find/ command returns:  No such file or directory.

            Thanks for your help.

            Don

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013

              Hello Vincent,

              The find/ -name setup-mysql returns:   No such file or directory.

              Don

              VE3HOL

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013
                Did it ask you to run

                configure

                make

                make install

                ? It seems like you didn't run make install since it can't find the setup program.
                --

                Vincent Tompkins
                n2ohh@...
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013
                  Don,

                  I am also stuck on the same spot.  Was going great until now.

                  Did you find the solution yet?

                  Stan
                  K8SRB

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 2, 2013

                    Hello Stan,

                                  No solution yet….if I find a solution I will post it.

                    Don

                    VE3HOL

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

                        You cab try

                        sudo find / -name setup-mysql

                        to find the file or directory, in case it exists and the install script is wrong.

                        It may be that the script setup-mysql is there but it does not have exec permissions...
                        Then chmod +x setup-mysql
                        would help...

                        My 2 cents :-)

                        EA4TV

                        El 03/02/2013 02:46, "Stan Grigaliunas" <k8srb@...> escribió:

                        Don,

                        I am also stuck on the same spot.  Was going great until now.

                        Did you find the solution yet?

                        Stan
                        K8SRB

                          I am up to Chapter 9, "The Pi as a Web Server" in Eben's book and I have run into a problem Installing WordPress. When I put the following command: "sudo bash /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql -n wordpress localhost" I get the following error..
                          bash: /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql: No such file or directory.
                          If anybody is using the same book and has run into the same problem, how have you solve it.
                          Thank you.
                          Don
                          VE3HOL

                          Can you perhaps try the same command I use in linux to find that? eg: sudo updatedb, then "sudo locate (filename)"???

                        • Donald J Tambeau
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

                            Hello John,

                                          You might be on to something John.  Here is what happens when I give the following command.

                            Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

                            Reading package lists….Done

                            Building dependency tree

                            Reading state information….Done

                            E: Unable to locate package mysql-server

                            So I thought that the mysql was not  installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.

                            Sudo mysql –uroot –p

                            And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

                            Thanks for your help.

                            Don

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013

                              Hello Stan,

                              sudo find / -name setup-mysql

                              got the No such file or directory and so did

                              sudo find / -name mysql-setup

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                                On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:

                                > Hello John,
                                > You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
                                > Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                                > Reading package lists….Done
                                > Building dependency tree
                                > Reading state information….Done
                                > E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                                >
                                > So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
                                >
                                > Sudo mysql –uroot –p
                                > And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.

                                No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.

                                You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:

                                sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

                                If it's not installed, it'll show something like:

                                dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server

                                You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:

                                sudo apt-get update

                                and then try to install the mysql-server package again.

                                --
                                Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                                Xenotropic Systems
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                                  Did you tried
                                  sudo apt-get update
                                  apt-get install mysql-server

                                  I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                                  to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                                  mysql-server

                                  2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                                  > On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Hello John,
                                  >> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
                                  >> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                                  >> Reading package lists….Done
                                  >> Building dependency tree
                                  >> Reading state information….Done
                                  >> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                                  >>
                                  >> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
                                  >>
                                  >> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
                                  >> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
                                  >
                                  > No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
                                  >
                                  > You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
                                  >
                                  > sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                                  >
                                  > If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                                  >
                                  > dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                                  >
                                  > You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
                                  >
                                  > sudo apt-get update
                                  >
                                  > and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                                  >
                                  >> Thanks for your help.
                                  >> Don
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                                  > Xenotropic Systems
                                  > mcdermj@...

                                • Jaime Robles
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                                    I have just noticed that it is not a problem of the mysql-server package...
                                    It is on the "wordpress" doc package
                                    (/usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/setup-mysql)
                                    Have you installed the wordpress package?

                                    I am installing the wordpress package just now... for a check...
                                    sudo apt-get install wordpress

                                    [... some minutes after ...]
                                    It installed MANY packages (as my raspbian installation was clean (I
                                    have my raspberry since last weekend!)) but I think I got the problem
                                    and... I have a solution.

                                    If you do:
                                    ls /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples

                                    You will see that the setup-mysql in gzipped... so you should uncompress it.
                                    gzip -d will do the job.
                                    Now, you should have the file you are looking for...

                                    I my case I enter:
                                    sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.34

                                    Then you have to modify the webserver configuration (if you did not do
                                    it already) to point to your wordpress installation (in
                                    /usr/share/wordpress).

                                    Create the DB, config the /etc/wordpress/config- file...

                                    Does it help?

                                    Jaime, EA4TV

                                    2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
                                    > Did you tried
                                    > sudo apt-get update
                                    > apt-get install mysql-server
                                    >

                                    > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                                    > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                                    > mysql-server
                                    >
                                    > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                                    >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau <tambeaud@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> Hello John,
                                    >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens when I give the following command.
                                    >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                                    >>> Reading package lists….Done
                                    >>> Building dependency tree
                                    >>> Reading state information….Done
                                    >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                                    >>>
                                    >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I gave the following command.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Sudo mysql –uroot –p
                                    >>> And it asked me for my password….so it must be installed.
                                    >>
                                    >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before it even tries to connect to the server process.
                                    >>
                                    >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You can check by executing:
                                    >>
                                    >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                                    >>
                                    >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                                    >>
                                    >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                                    >>
                                    >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by executing:
                                    >>
                                    >> sudo apt-get update
                                    >>
                                    >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                                    >>
                                    >>> Thanks for your help.
                                    >>> Don
                                    >>
                                    >> --
                                    >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                                    >> Xenotropic Systems
                                    >> mcdermj@...

                                  • Donald J Tambeau
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                                      Hello Jeremy,
                                      I get the following message when I put your command: sudo dpdg
                                      --get-selections mysql-server I get the following.
                                      Sudo: dpkg--get-selections: command not found!

                                      I also ran sudo apt-get update I run this quite often.
                                      Thanks for your help
                                      Don

                                      --
                                      Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                                      Xenotropic Systems
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                                        Hello Jaime,

                                        Both of these were done long ago.
                                        sudo apt-get update
                                        apt-get install mysql-server

                                        also wordpress was installed long ago

                                        sudo bash setup-mysql -n wordpress 192.168.1.110
                                        gets me.... setup-mysql: is a directory

                                        sudo gzip -d mysql-server I get
                                        gzip: mysql-server.gz no such file or directory.

                                        As you can see....I am very new to these Linux commands.
                                        Thanks for you help
                                        Don

                                        2013/2/3 Jaime Robles <jaime@...>:
                                        > Did you tried
                                        > sudo apt-get update
                                        > apt-get install mysql-server
                                        >

                                        > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                                        > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                                        > mysql-server
                                        >
                                        > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>:
                                        >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                                        <tambeaud@...> wrote:

                                        >>> Hello John,
                                        >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                                        when I give the following command.
                                        >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                                        >>> Reading package lists..Done
                                        >>> Building dependency tree
                                        >>> Reading state information..Done
                                        >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                                        >>>
                                        >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                                        gave the following command.

                                        >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                                        >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                                        >>
                                        >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                                        is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                                        it even tries to connect to the server process.

                                        >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                                        none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                                        anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                                        mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                                        there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                                        can check by executing:

                                        >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                                        >>
                                        >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                                        >>
                                        >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                                        >>
                                        >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                                        executing:

                                        >> sudo apt-get update
                                        >>
                                        >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                                        >>
                                        >>> Thanks for your help.
                                        >>> Don
                                        >>
                                        >> --
                                        >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                                        >> Xenotropic Systems
                                        >> mcdermj@...

                                      • Stan Grigaliunas
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                                          Don,

                                          I am also following the reflector with the same results as you.

                                          73
                                          Stan
                                          K8SRB

                                          2013/2/3 Jaime Robles mailto:jaime%40robles.es>:

                                          > Did
                                          you tried
                                          > sudo apt-get update
                                          > apt-get install
                                          mysql-server

                                          mailto:tambeaud%40personainternet.com> wrote:

                                          >>> Hello John,
                                          >>> You might be on
                                          to something John. Here is what happens
                                          when I give the following command.
                                          >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server

                                          Reading package lists..Done
                                          >>> Building dependency
                                          tree
                                          >>> Reading state information..Done
                                          >>> E: Unable
                                          to locate package mysql-server

                                          >>> So I thought that
                                          the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                                          gave the following command.

                                          >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p

                                          And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.

                                          >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client*
                                          is installed. The server
                                          is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                                          it even tries to connect to the server process.

                                          >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of
                                          find for people on here and
                                          none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                                          anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                                          mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                                          there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                                          can check by executing:

                                          >> sudo
                                          dpkg --get-selections mysql-server

                                          >> If it's not
                                          installed, it'll show something like:

                                          >> dpkg: no packages
                                          found matching mysql-server

                                          >> You might want to check to
                                          make sure your package lists are up to date by
                                          executing:

                                          >> sudo apt-get
                                          update

                                          >> and then try to install the mysql-server package
                                          again.

                                          >>> Thanks for your help.

                                          Don

                                          >> --
                                          >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)

                                          Xenotropic Systems

                                          href="mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com">mailto:mcdermj%40xenotropic.com

                                        • Jaime Robles

                                            2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:
                                            > Did you tried
                                            > sudo apt-get update
                                            > apt-get install mysql-server
                                            >

                                            > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                                            > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                                            > mysql-server
                                            >
                                            > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                                            >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                                            tambeaud@...> wrote:

                                            >>> Hello John,
                                            >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                                            when I give the following command.
                                            >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                                            >>> Reading package lists..Done
                                            >>> Building dependency tree
                                            >>> Reading state information..Done
                                            >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                                            >>>
                                            >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                                            gave the following command.

                                            >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                                            >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                                            >>
                                            >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                                            is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                                            it even tries to connect to the server process.

                                            >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                                            none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                                            anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                                            mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                                            there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                                            can check by executing:

                                            >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                                            >>
                                            >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                                            >>
                                            >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                                            >>
                                            >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                                            executing:

                                            >> sudo apt-get update
                                            >>
                                            >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                                            >>
                                            >>> Thanks for your help.
                                            >>> Don
                                            >>
                                            >> --
                                            >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                                            >> Xenotropic Systems
                                            >> mcdermj@...

                                          • Donald J Tambeau
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013

                                              Yes I am using Raspbian with an 8 GB card.

                                              Don

                                              2013/2/3 Jaime Robles jaime@...>:

                                              > Did you tried
                                              > sudo apt-get update
                                              > apt-get install mysql-server
                                              >

                                              > I installed dselect (sudo apt-get install dselect) as I like dselect
                                              > to browse the package archive... and I confirmed the package is named
                                              > mysql-server
                                              >
                                              > 2013/2/3 Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@...>:
                                              >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Donald J Tambeau
                                              tambeaud@...> wrote:

                                              >>> Hello John,
                                              >>> You might be on to something John. Here is what happens
                                              when I give the following command.
                                              >>> Sudo apt-get install mysql-server
                                              >>> Reading package lists..Done
                                              >>> Building dependency tree
                                              >>> Reading state information..Done
                                              >>> E: Unable to locate package mysql-server
                                              >>>
                                              >>> So I thought that the mysql was not installed so just to make sure, I
                                              gave the following command.

                                              >>> Sudo mysql -uroot -p
                                              >>> And it asked me for my password..so it must be installed.
                                              >>
                                              >> No, that merely means that the mysql *client* is installed. The server
                                              is a separate package. The client will prompt you for the password before
                                              it even tries to connect to the server process.

                                              >> You've run 10,000 different permutations of find for people on here and
                                              none of them have turned up anything. Find isn't dependent on a database or
                                              anything, so if it was there, it'd show up. Your attempt to install the
                                              mysql-server package failing shows that there's definitely something wrong
                                              there and it's very likely that the mysql-server package isn't there. You
                                              can check by executing:

                                              >> sudo dpkg --get-selections mysql-server
                                              >>
                                              >> If it's not installed, it'll show something like:
                                              >>
                                              >> dpkg: no packages found matching mysql-server
                                              >>
                                              >> You might want to check to make sure your package lists are up to date by
                                              executing:

                                              >> sudo apt-get update
                                              >>
                                              >> and then try to install the mysql-server package again.
                                              >>
                                              >>> Thanks for your help.
                                              >>> Don
                                              >>
                                              >> --
                                              >> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
                                              >> Xenotropic Systems
                                              >> mcdermj@...

                                            • Stan Grigaliunas
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 8, 2013
                                                Hi Don,

                                                Any progress?  I am still dead in the water.

                                                73
                                                Stan
                                                k8srb

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 10, 2013
                                                  Don't know if this is useful, but not having a Pi/book with me today I can't check it out.

                                                  I downloaded the Wordpress .deb from http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/w/ & opened it (using an archive manager) and it contains the standard  3 files. Again open the data.tar.gz archive and under  ./usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ you'll find setup-mysql.gz

                                                  My assumption is that the file will be found at /usr/share/doc/wordpress/examples/ on the SD and MAY require decompressing.

                                                  Feel free to heap scorn on my head if it's not there.

                                                  Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.