Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Poll results for Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO

  • Robert Nickels
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
      On 1/28/2013 3:20 PM, Jerome K wrote:
      > I hope everyone understand and appreciates my decision..
      Agree and applaud it Jerry. It's easy for those of us who are
      interested to sign up and keep the focus on R-Pi here. Since so many
      questions are specific to the hardware and software distro I think this
      makes great sense.

      While I love the Pi as a learning tool and what the Foundation is doing
      with it, this is a fast-moving world and when $50 will buy PC-on-a-stick
      products like the MK808 with dual-core CPUs, built-in wi-fi, USB OTG and
      more, we're going to see more and more inexpensive computing options
      that should be very exciting.

      73, Bob W9RAN
    • Kristoff Bonne
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
        Hi Jerry,

        OK, looks like I started quite a stur here. My appologies for that. That was surely not my intention.

        Just for clearity. It is not at all my intention to "hijack" this group. I'm not the owner nor the moderator, so it's not for me to descide what is the focus of the group.
        I just wanted to know if it is accepted to post messages about other boards on the list or not.

        For me, the great think about the pi is that is a very cheap platform that has got a lot of publicity and -therefor- got quite some people interested in these kind of devices, and -via that way- also interested in linux and coding.

        I see the Pi as part of a whole spectrum of devices: starting at -at the very now end- a MCU like the 8-pin ATtinys,  then the ATmegas/PICs, the arduino and its clones / "upgraded" clones, ARM9-based devices (like the mini2440), then the RPi and beaglebone, up to the pandaboard, beaglebone and finally arriving intel/AMD based mini computers. Then you also have things like plugcomputers and these computer-on-a-stick devices.

        Some platforms are even a mix of them: I just got my gertboard for my Pi as of last weekend, and on that board there actually is a ATmega328P; so it's not that much different from having an arduino on a IO-board for the Pi.

        I try not to be to religious about this. All platforms probably have their merrits, and they also all have their problems. The RPi is in that case no exception.
        Compairing it with other platforms does -I think- make sence to understand how the Pi fits in this and appriciate its power.

        Again, my question was simply to know if this kind of discussion is accepted here or not. Nothing more and nothing less then that.

        Me myself, I'll try to limit the messages here to the Pi, but I hope nobody objects if I do mention the name of another board. (I just happen to have a number of different boards here. :-) )

        73
        Kristoff - ON1ARF

        On 28-01-13 21:03, Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA wrote:

        Ok lets pass Policy...

        Lets keep this group focused on the Raspberry Pi as originally intended..!

        Sorry I guess it is time to stop gyrating and make a decision..

        Sorry for all the mass confusion...

        now Back to the Raspberry Pi!!!

        Jerry

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
          So what was the point of a 2 hour poll?
          Put it back up and let it cook for a couple of days.
          Bill
          kd5yyk
        • Jerome K
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
            Kristoff... You did nothing wrong.. No Apology needed.. You asked a very good question, that needed to be addressed..
            I did hastily post a POLL. I should not have until I better understood my own thought pattern, and for that I apologize to all..

            Back to the RPi World..

            73 jerry

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 29, 2013
              Agreed... Poll too short to capture good data.

              Should stay Pi only...

              -Jim-

              On 1/28/13 1:30 PM, Robert Nickels wrote:
              > On 1/28/2013 11:37 AM, andelscott wrote:
              >> Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2
              >> hours!
              >
              > Agreed. I was still pondering the pros and cons. I generally like
              > having groups with broad focus, but when I'm trying to solve a problem,
              > it's nice not to have to wade through gobs of irrelevant material to get
              > to what I'm really interested in. I do have a Delete key and never
              > assume the role of "list police", it's just a matter of what the
              > purpose of the group is.
              >
              > It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
              > popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
              > confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
              > based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!
              >
              > 73, Bob W9RAN

            • kk7pw
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 31, 2013
                For what's its worth, as a newbie, I'd vote to keep the group pi-centric. Plenty to discuss / explore in Pi alone.

                My two volts. :)

                de KK7PW