Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Poll results for Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO

  • Michael O'Bannon
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
      If you want this group to be exclusive to the RPi, starting another group would be a good idea.  It would be interesting to know if applications that work, but only poorly, on the RPi (fldigi under Raspbian, for instance) could be run on the faster boards more successfully.

      73,
      Michael  KD4SGN

      I can do that.. Try to anyway, I also would not mind starting one if needed... if the one or two I find are nopt general enough..
      Give me a bit.. First day back from vacation.... and I am backlogged a bit...

      :)

    Message 2 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
      I wills tart a new group broadly related to Linux on the small boards.. Will think of a name and post a link..

      I realize what some are asking, since the RPi is rather limited.. But the Raspberry pi is limited for several reasons that if it were changed would a) cost more then they do and b) cause them to loose focus on their mission. http://www.raspberrypi.org/about

      I do not want this group to forsake that mission either.. I would not mind someone posting a question regarding software compatibility with the Pi Vs xxx.. Just do not want to get off topic and away from the Pi.. So a general topic discussion on some other board would frowned upon.. and suggested it be moved to another forum.. Where all are welcome to observe and participate there, in that yahoo group....

      I hope everyone understand and appreciates my decision..

      73 Jerry N9LYA

      Message 3 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ARMedAmateurs/

      • Robert Nickels
        Message 4 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
          On 1/28/2013 3:20 PM, Jerome K wrote:
          > I hope everyone understand and appreciates my decision..
          Agree and applaud it Jerry. It's easy for those of us who are
          interested to sign up and keep the focus on R-Pi here. Since so many
          questions are specific to the hardware and software distro I think this
          makes great sense.

          While I love the Pi as a learning tool and what the Foundation is doing
          with it, this is a fast-moving world and when $50 will buy PC-on-a-stick
          products like the MK808 with dual-core CPUs, built-in wi-fi, USB OTG and
          more, we're going to see more and more inexpensive computing options
          that should be very exciting.

          73, Bob W9RAN
        • Kristoff Bonne
          Message 5 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
            Hi Jerry,

            OK, looks like I started quite a stur here. My appologies for that. That was surely not my intention.

            Just for clearity. It is not at all my intention to "hijack" this group. I'm not the owner nor the moderator, so it's not for me to descide what is the focus of the group.
            I just wanted to know if it is accepted to post messages about other boards on the list or not.

            For me, the great think about the pi is that is a very cheap platform that has got a lot of publicity and -therefor- got quite some people interested in these kind of devices, and -via that way- also interested in linux and coding.

            I see the Pi as part of a whole spectrum of devices: starting at -at the very now end- a MCU like the 8-pin ATtinys,  then the ATmegas/PICs, the arduino and its clones / "upgraded" clones, ARM9-based devices (like the mini2440), then the RPi and beaglebone, up to the pandaboard, beaglebone and finally arriving intel/AMD based mini computers. Then you also have things like plugcomputers and these computer-on-a-stick devices.

            Some platforms are even a mix of them: I just got my gertboard for my Pi as of last weekend, and on that board there actually is a ATmega328P; so it's not that much different from having an arduino on a IO-board for the Pi.

            I try not to be to religious about this. All platforms probably have their merrits, and they also all have their problems. The RPi is in that case no exception.
            Compairing it with other platforms does -I think- make sence to understand how the Pi fits in this and appriciate its power.

            Again, my question was simply to know if this kind of discussion is accepted here or not. Nothing more and nothing less then that.

            Me myself, I'll try to limit the messages here to the Pi, but I hope nobody objects if I do mention the name of another board. (I just happen to have a number of different boards here. :-) )

            73
            Kristoff - ON1ARF

            On 28-01-13 21:03, Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA wrote:

            Ok lets pass Policy...

            Lets keep this group focused on the Raspberry Pi as originally intended..!

            Sorry I guess it is time to stop gyrating and make a decision..

            Sorry for all the mass confusion...

            now Back to the Raspberry Pi!!!

            Jerry

            Message 6 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
              So what was the point of a 2 hour poll?
              Put it back up and let it cook for a couple of days.
              Bill
              kd5yyk
            • Jerome K
              Message 7 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                Kristoff... You did nothing wrong.. No Apology needed.. You asked a very good question, that needed to be addressed..
                I did hastily post a POLL. I should not have until I better understood my own thought pattern, and for that I apologize to all..

                Back to the RPi World..

                73 jerry

                Message 8 of 19 , Jan 29, 2013
                  Agreed... Poll too short to capture good data.

                  Should stay Pi only...

                  -Jim-

                  On 1/28/13 1:30 PM, Robert Nickels wrote:
                  > On 1/28/2013 11:37 AM, andelscott wrote:
                  >> Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2
                  >> hours!
                  >
                  > Agreed. I was still pondering the pros and cons. I generally like
                  > having groups with broad focus, but when I'm trying to solve a problem,
                  > it's nice not to have to wade through gobs of irrelevant material to get
                  > to what I'm really interested in. I do have a Delete key and never
                  > assume the role of "list police", it's just a matter of what the
                  > purpose of the group is.
                  >
                  > It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
                  > popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
                  > confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
                  > based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!
                  >
                  > 73, Bob W9RAN

                • kk7pw
                  Message 9 of 19 , Jan 31, 2013
                    For what's its worth, as a newbie, I'd vote to keep the group pi-centric. Plenty to discuss / explore in Pi alone.

                    My two volts. :)

                    de KK7PW