Poll results for Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO

  • Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
      The following Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO poll is now closed. Here are the
      final results:

      POLL QUESTION: Would it be ok with most to have abroader discussion to include other Linux Boards, beyond the pi?

      CHOICES AND RESULTS
      - Include other linux boards?, 9 votes, 69.23%
      - Start a new yahoo group!, 2 votes, 15.38%
      - Not an issue either way or no opinion, 2 votes, 15.38%

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO

    • andelscott
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > The following Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO poll is now closed. Here are the
        > final results:
        >

        > POLL QUESTION: Would it be ok with most to have abroader discussion to include other Linux Boards, beyond the pi?
        >
        > CHOICES AND RESULTS
        > - Include other linux boards?, 9 votes, 69.23%
        > - Start a new yahoo group!, 2 votes, 15.38%
        > - Not an issue either way or no opinion, 2 votes, 15.38%

        Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2 hours!
      • Robert Nickels
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
          On 1/28/2013 11:37 AM, andelscott wrote:
          > Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2
          > hours!

          Agreed. I was still pondering the pros and cons. I generally like
          having groups with broad focus, but when I'm trying to solve a problem,
          it's nice not to have to wade through gobs of irrelevant material to get
          to what I'm really interested in. I do have a Delete key and never
          assume the role of "list police", it's just a matter of what the
          purpose of the group is.

          It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
          popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
          confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
          based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!

          73, Bob W9RAN
        • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
            No and I appologise.. I started the poll after looking for other yahoo groups that pertain to ham radio and Linux boards..

            Finding none (poor choice of serach criteria...) I styarted the pool..

            Seeing there are other groups... I would like to see us utilize those for those topics.. rather then to recreate one since there are others.. Which was the possible outcome of the POLL..

            The POLL can be considered done and moot..  I was going to use the data to see if it warranted a NEW yahoo group.. But seeing one exists.. :)

            I see no problem with a braoder posting as long as we do not turn this into a Generic Linux Board group.. Just use good sense and moderators will probably let your posts ride..

            73 Jerry N9LYA

            Jerry Kutche
            Electrical Supervisor

            Lehigh Cement Company LLC
            180 N. Meridian Road
            Mitchell, IN  47446
            Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
            Fax:  (812) 849-5007
            Cell: (812) 583-0445
            jkutche@...
            www.lehighcement.com

            This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

            > The following Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO poll is
            now closed. Here are the
            > final results:
            >

            > POLL
            QUESTION: Would it be ok with most to have abroader discussion to include other Linux Boards, beyond the pi?

            > CHOICES AND RESULTS
            > -
            Include other linux boards?, 9 votes, 69.23%
            > - Start a new yahoo
            group!, 2 votes, 15.38%
            > - Not an issue either way or no opinion, 2
            votes, 15.38%

            Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2 hours!

          • gw4kjw
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
              > It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
              > popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
              > confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
              > based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!
              >
              > 73, Bob W9RAN

              I don't thinbk you're outnumbered at all, Bob. Calling something that was only available to vote on, for a couple of hours a poll. Is laughable.
              As is the idea of calling something a Raspberry Pi group and then cluttering it up with some random assortment with other boards.

              If it goes ahead. I'm 100% certain that somebody will start another group, just for the RasPi

              Gareth - GW4KJW
            • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                Ok lets pass Policy...

                Lets keep this group focused on the Raspberry Pi as originally intended..!

                Sorry I guess it is time to stop gyrating and make a decision..

                Sorry for all the mass confusion...

                now Back to the Raspberry Pi!!!

                Jerry

                > It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
                > popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
                > confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
                > based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!

                73, Bob W9RAN

                I don't thinbk you're outnumbered at all, Bob. Calling something that was only available to vote on, for a couple of hours a poll. Is laughable.
                As is the idea of calling something a Raspberry Pi group and then cluttering it up with some random assortment with other boards.

                If it goes ahead. I'm 100% certain that somebody will start another group, just for the RasPi

                Gareth - GW4KJW

              • Michael O'Bannon
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                  Many of us are interested more in getting ham applications running on
                  a small linux board than specifically in the RaspberryPi. A single
                  list would allow us to pool experience and knowledge. Possibly what
                  we find with one board will apply to another. That's a lot more
                  efficient that trying to keep up with several separate lists. Also,
                  it would allow the experts to generate app's that work for several
                  boards instead of being confined to a single product.

                  The RaspberryPi appears to have limitations that aren't getting fixed
                  and may never be fixed, so working with other boards makes sense.
                  Also, some other lists are specific to some aspect of ham radio. For
                  example, I, for one, have no interest in D-Star but would very much
                  like to see one of the open-source codecs running on a small linux board.

                  So it makes sense to me to open up this list to other linux-based
                  microprocessor boards.

                  73,
                  Michael KD4SGN

                  > On 1/28/2013 11:37 AM, andelscott wrote:
                  >> Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2
                  >> hours!
                  > Agreed. I was still pondering the pros and cons. I generally like
                  > having groups with broad focus, but when I'm trying to solve a problem,
                  > it's nice not to have to wade through gobs of irrelevant material to get
                  > to what I'm really interested in. I do have a Delete key and never
                  > assume the role of "list police", it's just a matter of what the
                  > purpose of the group is.
                  >
                  > It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
                  > popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
                  > confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
                  > based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!
                  >
                  > 73, Bob W9RAN

                • Michael O'Bannon
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                    Jerry,

                    Could you provide links for the groups focusing on ham radio with small, inexpensive Linux boards?

                    Thanks,
                    Michael

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                      I can do that.. Try to anyway, I also would not mind starting one if needed... if the one or two I find are nopt general enough..
                      Give me a bit.. First day back from vacation.... and I am backlogged a bit...

                      :)

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013

                        To get the  information on the  pi

                        And  running  dvap and   ircddb  and pcrepeatercontroller

                         looking to new projects for the Pi I am already reading  4 lists and the  volume of  posts gets daunting

                         for me

                        Ka7qqv Alameda ca

                        Oh ya  and  work Emails

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                          If you want this group to be exclusive to the RPi, starting another group would be a good idea.  It would be interesting to know if applications that work, but only poorly, on the RPi (fldigi under Raspbian, for instance) could be run on the faster boards more successfully.

                          73,
                          Michael  KD4SGN

                        Message 12 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                          I wills tart a new group broadly related to Linux on the small boards.. Will think of a name and post a link..

                          I realize what some are asking, since the RPi is rather limited.. But the Raspberry pi is limited for several reasons that if it were changed would a) cost more then they do and b) cause them to loose focus on their mission. http://www.raspberrypi.org/about

                          I do not want this group to forsake that mission either.. I would not mind someone posting a question regarding software compatibility with the Pi Vs xxx.. Just do not want to get off topic and away from the Pi.. So a general topic discussion on some other board would frowned upon.. and suggested it be moved to another forum.. Where all are welcome to observe and participate there, in that yahoo group....

                          I hope everyone understand and appreciates my decision..

                          73 Jerry N9LYA

                          Message 13 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013

                          • Robert Nickels
                            Message 14 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                              On 1/28/2013 3:20 PM, Jerome K wrote:
                              > I hope everyone understand and appreciates my decision..
                              Agree and applaud it Jerry. It's easy for those of us who are
                              interested to sign up and keep the focus on R-Pi here. Since so many
                              questions are specific to the hardware and software distro I think this
                              makes great sense.

                              While I love the Pi as a learning tool and what the Foundation is doing
                              with it, this is a fast-moving world and when $50 will buy PC-on-a-stick
                              products like the MK808 with dual-core CPUs, built-in wi-fi, USB OTG and
                              more, we're going to see more and more inexpensive computing options
                              that should be very exciting.

                              73, Bob W9RAN
                            • Kristoff Bonne
                              Message 15 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                                Hi Jerry,

                                OK, looks like I started quite a stur here. My appologies for that. That was surely not my intention.

                                Just for clearity. It is not at all my intention to "hijack" this group. I'm not the owner nor the moderator, so it's not for me to descide what is the focus of the group.
                                I just wanted to know if it is accepted to post messages about other boards on the list or not.

                                For me, the great think about the pi is that is a very cheap platform that has got a lot of publicity and -therefor- got quite some people interested in these kind of devices, and -via that way- also interested in linux and coding.

                                I see the Pi as part of a whole spectrum of devices: starting at -at the very now end- a MCU like the 8-pin ATtinys,  then the ATmegas/PICs, the arduino and its clones / "upgraded" clones, ARM9-based devices (like the mini2440), then the RPi and beaglebone, up to the pandaboard, beaglebone and finally arriving intel/AMD based mini computers. Then you also have things like plugcomputers and these computer-on-a-stick devices.

                                Some platforms are even a mix of them: I just got my gertboard for my Pi as of last weekend, and on that board there actually is a ATmega328P; so it's not that much different from having an arduino on a IO-board for the Pi.

                                I try not to be to religious about this. All platforms probably have their merrits, and they also all have their problems. The RPi is in that case no exception.
                                Compairing it with other platforms does -I think- make sence to understand how the Pi fits in this and appriciate its power.

                                Again, my question was simply to know if this kind of discussion is accepted here or not. Nothing more and nothing less then that.

                                Me myself, I'll try to limit the messages here to the Pi, but I hope nobody objects if I do mention the name of another board. (I just happen to have a number of different boards here. :-) )

                                73
                                Kristoff - ON1ARF

                                On 28-01-13 21:03, Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA wrote:

                                Ok lets pass Policy...

                                Lets keep this group focused on the Raspberry Pi as originally intended..!

                                Sorry I guess it is time to stop gyrating and make a decision..

                                Sorry for all the mass confusion...

                                now Back to the Raspberry Pi!!!

                                Jerry

                                > It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
                                > popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
                                > confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
                                > based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!
                                >
                                > 73, Bob W9RAN

                                I don't thinbk you're outnumbered at all, Bob. Calling something that was only available to vote on, for a couple of hours a poll. Is laughable.
                                As is the idea of calling something a Raspberry Pi group and then cluttering it up with some random assortment with other boards.

                                If it goes ahead. I'm 100% certain that somebody will start another group, just for the RasPi

                                Gareth - GW4KJW

                              • bill
                                Message 16 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                                  So what was the point of a 2 hour poll?
                                  Put it back up and let it cook for a couple of days.
                                  Bill
                                  kd5yyk
                                • Jerome K
                                  Message 17 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                                    Kristoff... You did nothing wrong.. No Apology needed.. You asked a very good question, that needed to be addressed..
                                    I did hastily post a POLL. I should not have until I better understood my own thought pattern, and for that I apologize to all..

                                    Back to the RPi World..

                                    73 jerry

                                    Message 18 of 19 , Jan 29, 2013
                                      Agreed... Poll too short to capture good data.

                                      Should stay Pi only...

                                      -Jim-

                                      On 1/28/13 1:30 PM, Robert Nickels wrote:
                                      > On 1/28/2013 11:37 AM, andelscott wrote:
                                      >> Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2
                                      >> hours!
                                      >
                                      > Agreed. I was still pondering the pros and cons. I generally like
                                      > having groups with broad focus, but when I'm trying to solve a problem,
                                      > it's nice not to have to wade through gobs of irrelevant material to get
                                      > to what I'm really interested in. I do have a Delete key and never
                                      > assume the role of "list police", it's just a matter of what the
                                      > purpose of the group is.
                                      >
                                      > It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
                                      > popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
                                      > confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
                                      > based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!
                                      >
                                      > 73, Bob W9RAN

                                    • kk7pw
                                      Message 19 of 19 , Jan 31, 2013
                                        For what's its worth, as a newbie, I'd vote to keep the group pi-centric. Plenty to discuss / explore in Pi alone.

                                        My two volts. :)

                                        de KK7PW